Metformin And Hair Loss???

Hey_Man

Greetings,

I am on the cusp of type 2 diabetes and my doctor just prescribed metformin as a hopeful preventative in addition to weight that I need to lose.

So I checked online to see the side effects and while it's not listed as an official side effect like nausea/throwing up for example, I happen to come across a website where someone said that metformin caused their hair to thin out big time.

I typed metformin and hair loss into Google and was shocked and scared at the explosion of results with people telling their horror stories.

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#safe=off&q=metformin+hair+loss

As a 45 year old, who has been lucky to still have really great hair, I am freaked out about the idea that metformin could be the thing to change that.

I realize that many millions of people are on meformin and any such hair loss stories might be an almost negligible side effect percentage, so I wanted to hear what people here had to say

Has anyone here had any hair thinning/hair loss due to metformin?

My doctor did say that there are alternatives to metformin that don't have any claims of hair loss, so if it was a problem - he could put me on something else.

But again, I would like to hear what people here have to say per your experience and what you think of the responses on Google.

Thank you very much.

HM

Hey_Man

I've not noticed any issues but there is a thread on this forum from a while ago discussing it: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/can-metformin-cause-hair-loss.68263/

Thanks for the response and link - which seems to confirm my fears.

I was hoping for the other way around and the Google responses were just a very small percentage.

The odd thing that is the is zero scientific proof that there is any connection, which is why hair loss is not officially listed as a side effect.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I'm a 58 year old woman. I took metformin for around 6 months until my GP would no longer prescribe it as my HbA1c was down to pre-diabetic levels. I did lose a lot of hair but it grew back well once I stopped the drug. I have recently asked to go back on it again as it is so helpful in reducing insulin resistance. I can't manage to lose weight without it so I am willing to have thinner hair for a while in the hope that the rest of me will be thinner too.

Mary1680

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being taken seriously
Well I'm a 58 year old woman. I took metformin for around 6 months until my GP would no longer prescribe it as my HbA1c was down to pre-diabetic levels. I did lose a lot of hair but it grew back well once I stopped the drug. I have recently asked to go back on it again as it is so helpful in reducing insulin resistance. I can't manage to lose weight without it so I am willing to have thinner hair for a while in the hope that the rest of me will be thinner too.
I didn't know that metformin causes hair loss, I always put it down to my underactive thyroid. Thank you for this information, I will investigate further.

LittleG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been prescribed Metformin and my hair is falling out. I do not know if the two are connected or if it is a general diabetes related issue.

Reactions: 2 people

6cats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My hair is definitely a lot thinner and brittle. I have been told that 6 months down the road it should stop! I still have 2 months to go! I am using conditioner daily now (never used it much before)! I am just hoping it stops breaking off! X

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

Mary1680

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being taken seriously
My hair is definitely a lot thinner and brittle. I have been told that 6 months down the road it should stop! I still have 2 months to go! I am using conditioner daily now (never used it much before)! I am just hoping it stops breaking off! X

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
What will make it stop? Like you, I also use much more conditioner, elasticiser and hair oil than before to try to soften my dry brittle hair but I don't see an end in sight. When I was in hispital recently, I suggested to one of the doctors that they could organise a study where the doctors wash the hair of patients to feel the texture. I was serious but he just laughed.