Diabetes and tattoos

cherrypie666

Dislikes
Liars and people who don't know anything about diabetes but pretend they know everything.
hi, i have twenty seven piercings and eight tattoos, so yes you are able to get one, bear in mind sometimes the colour comes straight out because of having diabetes and they heal a little slower, some touch ups may be needed, hope this helps x

cherrypie666

Dislikes
Liars and people who don't know anything about diabetes but pretend they know everything.
i have had tattoos before having diabetes and after and mine healed slowly and in one case sucked all of the colour out, but everyone is different, i love the pain too he he but i was so scared when i was told i had to go on insulin, i told the nurse i had an irrational fear of any medical needles. She looked at all my facial piercings and just laughed and said if i can put up with getting a bull ring in m nose, i can put up with a tiny pen needle!!!!!! I felt so stupid !!!!

pixie

i asked my Diabteic Nurse about this just the other day and she said NO WAY!!
risk of infection..blah, blah....slow healing.....blah, blah

but i think i'm going to chat with the tattoo artist anyway and more than likely get one done
sure, amn't i better getting one as soon as possible before my healing does really slow down?

i want to get a tiny little black star on my left wrist.... and maybe a cluster of black stars somewhere on my back.....whats this about colours getting sucked out?

cherrypie666

Dislikes
sometimes, the colour gets sucked out, it may need some touch ups, the slower mine healed, thats when the colour started fading, but i had badly controlled diabetes and that's maybe why too..... Anyway, good luck, i'm sure you will be fine, i have three stars on my forearm and they healed great!!!!

pixie

thanks for the reply.
do you reckon the diabetic nurse was just covering her behind by saying that i cannot get it done?
thats what i think anyway.

pixie

hah! but of course!
i'm sure there are many things i'm not supposed to be doing, but i am trying to be good

griswolds01

hiya
ive had 3 done in the last year and i have never had any problems (apart from the pain lol) and planning another one in a couple of weeks.
go for it

pixie

i think i will.
i rang the tattoo place yesterday and yer man said that there would be no problem. they have a diabetic lad who comes in all the time (aparantly he has 2 sleeves done - and keeps adding)
he recommended that i bring a sugary drink or something, in case my sugars go low.
nice guy
what are you getting done and what have you got?

griswolds01

i have kids names on my arms and a large "emo" fairy on my leg (looks like my wife) and thinking of getting her name in "wiccan" on my arm too (now i'm thinking this makes me look soooo sad lol) im sure it will look better than it sounds

what are you thinking of having then????

pixie

thinking of getting a little black star on my left wrist, just for starts. see how i deal with the pain.
then i'm thinking of getting something, somewhere on my back...maybe another star design...like a cluster of black stars.

100nettie

I have been diabetic for over 2 years, and have 31 tattoos, most of them done before I developed diabetes. There is absolutely no reason why you cannot have a tattoo if you are diabetic, you just need to take some extra precautions and your after-care must be meticulous. Why let diabetes stop you from your lifestyle? Diabetic nurses and doctors will tell you not to do it due to the time it takes to heal and the risk of infection - however if you are careful with your after care there should be no problem.

Firstly, make sure you have eaten adequately on the day, and take something with you to both eat and drink in case your sugar level drops during or after the tattoo. If it is your first tattoo and is rather large, you may develop "tattoo shock" which can lower your blood sugar level. The tattooist will put a dressing on your tattoo when it is done - keep this on for a few hours, then take it off, clean it thoroughly and apply a thin layer of Savlon.

Secondly, when it is healing, KEEP IT CLEAN! Always wash hands before and after cleaning and caring for your tattoo. A mild soap will take care of the cleaning, use Bepanthen or Kamillosan cream on the tattoo once it is dry - these are actually nappy rash treatments, can be found in your local supermarket and work a treat on healing tattoos.

As for the healing process, colour cannot become "sucked out" of a tattoo - if you dont use the cream adequatly, your tattoo will form large scabs, and when they fall off they will scar your skin - you cannot see through the scar, so it looks like the colour has come out - it is still there, just under the layer of scarring. If this does occur, you can always let it heal and go back for touch-up work later.

If your new tattoo starts to swell, get increasingly hot and painful, go straight to the hospital - infection can cause septicaemia if not caught early enough. However, if you keep it clean enough, this will not happen.

I have been having tattoos since I was 18. I'm now 41, and am going for my 32nd tattoo on Saturday. I refuse to let diabetes get in the way of anything I want to do, and neither should you.

Belladonna68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who are selfish, rude, self-centred, disloyal, dishonest, etc
I have had two tattoos since being diagnosed with Type 2. The first one which is a Gloriosa Lily on my right shoulder, healed quickly and the colours stayed brilliantly. I have just had 'Lest we forget' and a poppy tattooed on my rig wrist and this took quite a lot longer to heal and some of the colour has leached out.

I have spoken to my tattooist, who is aware of my diabetes and he thinks that some of the colour came away with the scabs which formed really thickly this time. He had questioned my choice of location before doing the tattoo, but I'd decided to go ahead anyway. I will just get the faded area touched up.

If you decide to go ahead, make sure your tattooist is aware of your diabetes. Ensure you apply plenty of bepanthan during the healing process. Your tattooist will probably say keep the tattoo covered for an hour after it's done - I would say leave it covered for about 12 hours. Ensure you keep your sugar levels well controlled for at least a few days before and until the tattoo is fully healed.

And make sure that whatever tattoo you get means something to you - it is there for life.