Hair loss help!!

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My hair keeps falling out when I wash it. My scalp feels sore and very sensitive. And my hair is very brittle damaged and dry

So I'm trying to establish possible causes.
Anyone had similar experiences?
Could tresiba cause hair to come out?
Could a raise in lisinopril (1-2 tabs per day) explain it?
Am I low in vitamins? If so which?

Any advice please?

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I'm probably not going to be a great deal of help, but when my hair was falling out I was found to have high BG levels (high teens to mid 20s) and a deficiency of B12.

Soon after getting control of both, my hair stopped falling out, so will never know which problem caused the hair loss.

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm probably not going to be a great deal of help, but when my hair was falling out I was found to have high BG levels (high teens to mid 20s) and a deficiency of B12.

Soon after getting control of both, my hair stopped falling out, so will never know which problem caused the hair loss.

Thanks for that bs not usually that high, but maybe a b12 issue? Did you take tablets for it?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
My hair keeps falling out when I wash it. My scalp feels sore and very sensitive. And my hair is very brittle damaged and dry

So I'm trying to establish possible causes.
Anyone had similar experiences?
Could tresiba cause hair to come out?
Could a raise in lisinopril (1-2 tabs per day) explain it?
Am I low in vitamins? If so which?

Any advice please?

Hi there - I would check this with your GP, hair loss can be caused by a number of things and your doctor will look at all possibilities, I personally don't think Tresiba would cause a problem, but it could be thyroid connected too, a GP will determine if this is the case with a blood test to check your TSH levels, hope you get it sorted.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
What is your A1c as high bloods can cause hair to fall out, has your thyroid been checked lately and also your B12 levels?

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there - I would check this with your GP, hair loss can be caused by a number of things and your doctor will look at all possibilities, I personally don't think Tresiba would cause a problem, but it could be thyroid connected too, a GP will determine if this is the case with a blood test to check your TSH levels, hope you get it sorted.

Yes I will am seeing him next week anyway thanks

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is your A1c as high bloods can cause hair to fall out, has your thyroid been checked lately and also your B12 levels?

Hiya last one was 55 or 7.2% in old money in April, just had blood taken yesterday for all the usual tests prior to clinic visit next Friday, pretty sure thyroid was one of them

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have spoken to a pharmacist today who along with advising me to see my gp, suggested I take a multivitamin and mineral tablet each day. Have bought some and hope this may help, even a little

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Have you recently changed your shampoo or conditioner? If you have would that cause the problem? If you haven't perhaps try something else.

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you recently changed your shampoo or conditioner? If you have would that cause the problem? If you haven't perhaps try something else.

I am using head and shoulders but only since my scalp became sore, as I thought this may ease the soreness, the pharmacist earlier advised only using head and shoulders twice per week and to use baby shampoo or simple shampoo in between.

Nothing other has changed tbh,
I started using tresiba in January and had my dose of lisinopril raised in April, tbh I can't think of anything else guess I'll have to ask my doctor