Splitting my Lantus Dose

fatgirl1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't look after their pets
Hi everyone, I'm sure there is someone here who will be able to explain how a Lantus dose can work when it is split. I'm pretty sure I'm being a bit thick about this but I just can't seem to get my head around how this works. I currently take 1 injection of Lantus daily (20 units), however I have the feeling that for the last 12 or so hours it is not doing its job and so have been advised to split my dose into 2 separate 10unit injections, 12 hours apart. What I can't seem to get my head around though is how can 10 units of Lantus do the same as 20 units of Lantus over a 12 hour period. I am really reluctant to try this until I can understand in my daft brain how this works. Many thanks in anticipation to anyone e you can explain this to me xxxx

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya,

I cant tell you what to do withyour doses but I was taking close to 40 units at 10pm then noticed it wasnt working as it should.

I am now taking 20 units at 6pm and 10 units at 7.30am (I need less while sleeping & that little bit extra when up and moving about).

Reactions: 2 people

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
Hi everyone, I'm sure there is someone here who will be able to explain how a Lantus dose can work when it is split. I'm pretty sure I'm being a bit thick about this but I just can't seem to get my head around how this works. I currently take 1 injection of Lantus daily (20 units), however I have the feeling that for the last 12 or so hours it is not doing its job and so have been advised to split my dose into 2 separate 10unit injections, 12 hours apart. What I can't seem to get my head around though is how can 10 units of Lantus do the same as 20 units of Lantus over a 12 hour period. I am really reluctant to try this until I can understand in my daft brain how this works. Many thanks in anticipation to anyone e you can explain this to me xxxx
Spooky I have been thinking the same 20 units before sleep, but to be honest is seems to be working very well. I think because it is background insulin you take one dose and it stays in your system. Not like my other insulin Apidra.

B583

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
MARMITE!!
Having done this for over a year, I can explain the purpose of injecting twice a day. As annoying it maybe, it does serve a purpose.

As Lntus dosn't quite last 24hrs, from one injection you have to put up with the highs before it runs out of the system, before injecting again, causing high's & irregular BGs. With injecting twice a day, you're overlapping the doses, so it works effectively during the two periods it is injected. I injected at 9am & 9pm each day & if required, I adjusted a dose seperately to control the 12hrs it was required. This way you may be able to control your BGs a bit better, but give it a day or two to adjust & the readjustment of doses should be clear soon after, If required adjust each dose seperately according to rgime or lifestyle, activities you undertake regularly.
Hope this helps

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry for my ignorance but I thought only levemir can be split? Not Lantus?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........

fatgirl1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't look after their pets

Harrysdad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I too am thinking about splitting my Lantus and was wondering if it would matter if the split wasn't 12hrs? More like 2230 and 0800.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I too am thinking about splitting my Lantus and was wondering if it would matter if the split wasn't 12hrs? More like 2230 and 0800.
do talk to your DSN but you have all the tools at your disposal ---- a BG meter and lots of fingers to choose from:)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has already stated, consult with your dsn before making any changes. On a personal level I was advised to split my lantus whilst doing the Dafne course. In all honesty I'm not sure how it works but it does. I'm currently splitting 16/14 am pm and everything is fine. Also I work shifts so timings vary, sometimes I only have an 8hr split between injections and it doesn't seem to cause any problems. I think it's well worth considering. Good luck.

Harrysdad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks Rower, Started splitting last night. I'm going to give it 3 or 4 days to settle down before I start messing with doses. :)