Type1 Speech problems after hypo

karen m

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My husband is insulin dependant diabetic and had a hypo this morning. Hes not been brill today but tonight still having problems with his speech/memory. Should I get him to the doctors or hospital. Hes quite moody and doesn't take too kindly admitting hes having problems. Im just looking for advice please x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My husband is insulin dependant diabetic and had a hypo this morning. Hes not been brill today but tonight still having problems with his speech/memory. Should I get him to the doctors or hospital. Hes quite moody and doesn't take too kindly admitting hes having problems. Im just looking for advice please x

Was it a severe hypo? That is, did he go very low or drop suddenly, or even pass out or have a seizure? With a bad hypo, I think it can affect your memory for a day or so, and make you feel rough.

I haven't heard of the speech problems so long after though. Has he checked his blood sugar is ok now? When you say speech problems, do you mean he struggles to find the words or that his speech is indistinct (could he have bitten his tongue, if so?)

It's obviously concerning you, so I think perhaps a phone call to 111 might be sensible, just to make sure it's not something unrelated to the hypo.

karen m

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was it a severe hypo? That is, did he go very low or drop suddenly, or even pass out or have a seizure? With a bad hypo, I think it can affect your memory for a day or so, and make you feel rough.

I haven't heard of the speech problems so long after though. Has he checked his blood sugar is ok now? When you say speech problems, do you mean he struggles to find the words or that his speech is indistinct (could he have bitten his tongue, if so?)

It's obviously concerning you, so I think perhaps a phone call to 111 might be sensible, just to make sure it's not something unrelated to the hypo.
he is struggling to find some words for example tonight I asked him if he wanted something to eat he couldn't think of the word bread I was having to suggest the words that he might be looking for ye I think I will call 111 for some advice ty x

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
"Brain fog" can last many hours after a hypo, so try not to worry too much.

It's a good idea to call 111 though and either be reassured or have it investigated further.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
he is struggling to find some words for example tonight I asked him if he wanted something to eat he couldn't think of the word bread I was having to suggest the words that he might be looking for ye I think I will call 111 for some advice ty x

I'd give them a call. Always best to check, and hopefully they'll put your mind at rest. Do let us know how he is. I hope he's more like himself very soon.

Best wishes to you both :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @karen m - Hope he's feeling better this morning ?

Hypos affect us all differently, I had a bad one on Saturday afternoon which left me sweating and after managing to treat I then fell asleep for an hour, but afterwards i felt low and drained, took a few hours to get right again. The effects generally are temporary however if he's still not right today then a visit to the GP would be advisable. Can you also understand why he went low ? So was it exercise related, too much insulin etc ? It's always good to know why so that you can try to avoid it happening again. Let us know how you get on ? :)