Help with bruising from injections

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
So I've been giving myself injections in my stomach only recently, as a result of some pretty bad bruising on my legs and arms.

I know it's not good to stick to one area, so I'd appreciate some advice on how to stop the bruising? My legs are pretty muscular and I can't really pinch fat on them, but my arms are normal - why am I still bruising there?

I use pens, and a 4mm needle.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My thighs kill me and always bruise. I take my basal in my love handles but the rest goes in my stomach. Faster acting too. Never tried my arms but imagine it would hurt. I rotate stomach in quadrants as well as quadrants in quadrants. Works well for me. Thighs kill, bleed and bruise

Reactions: 2 people

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
My thighs kill me and always bruise. I take my basal in my love handles but the rest goes in my stomach. Faster acting too. Never tried my arms but imagine it would hurt. I rotate stomach in quadrants as well as quadrants in quadrants. Works well for me. Thighs kill, bleed and bruise

Thanks @Kristin251

You haven't had any problems with scar tissue or lumps in your tummy from only injecting there?

What's your trick to remembering where you put it last in your stomach?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So I've been giving myself injections in my stomach only recently, as a result of some pretty bad bruising on my legs and arms.

You can also use your bum, ideal for basal doses.

I know it's not good to stick to one area, so I'd appreciate some advice on how to stop the bruising?

Inject slowly, don't force the insulin in, I found this useful in preventing bruising.

I use pens, and a 4mm needle.

Good, make sure to change it each time.

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
You can also use your bum, ideal for basal doses.

Inject slowly, don't force the insulin in, I found this useful in preventing bruising.

Good, make sure to change it each time.

Thank you!

So I don't use basal right now, just bolus.

I can't actually control the injection I push a button and the insulin goes in pretty quick. I can't do anything about it.

I admit I'm guilty of not changing the needle each time. I'll use it 2-3 times before I change it. I will try this and see if it helps.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I can't actually control the injection I push a button and the insulin goes in pretty quick. I can't do anything about it.

What do you use if you don't mind me asking?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Kristin251

You haven't had any problems with scar tissue or lumps in your tummy from only injecting there?

What's your trick to remembering where you put it last in your stomach?
No scar tissue or lumps but occasional bruising. I go by quadrants. Start upper right, lower right, lower left, upper left. There's 4 injections. Then you can also do upper part of right quadrant, then lower or middle of the same quadrant etc. Another way would be to use the same quadrant for a day and just pick a different spot. Then you won't be in the same quadrant for 4 days. I generally use lower right at BF, lower left at lunch and either upper at dinner. Just a pattern I fell into. I just keep moving it around

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 524

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks @tpaz

When you press down on the button to administer the dose just don't apply a lot of pressure (if possible), as said I found this made a difference when using a syringe and a insulin pen.

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
Thanks @tpaz

When you press down on the button to administer the dose just don't apply a lot of pressure (if possible), as said I found this made a difference when using a syringe and a insulin pen.
Interesting. I will definitely try this. I didn't even realize I had the option.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have the option. The p n just shoots. I do think the amount of insulin in one bolus makes a difference. I squeeze the skin, shoot, let the skin go and hold 5 seconds, never releasing the button, withdraw and usually good. If I didn't pinch the skin I think I would die

Steph22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've found the same recently - stomach, outer thigh, bum and arms all bruising, some quite bad! Also been diagnosed with anemia recently, so just kind of guessed they were linked?!
I'll take on board some of these comments about pressure and site rotation more though :)

xxAJxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you!

So I don't use basal right now, just bolus.

I admit I'm guilty of not changing the needle each time. I'll use it 2-3 times before I change it. I will try this and see if it helps.
Always change your needle at every use, as at each use the needle blunts, making it harder to go into the skin, always change up your sites, use your arms, bum and love handle bits, try to avoid your tummy for a bit, overuse of one area means that eventually you'll get a build up of insulin at that bit and further insulin wont be absorbed.

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
Always change your needle at every use, as at each use the needle blunts, making it harder to go into the skin, always change up your sites, use your arms, bum and love handle bits, try to avoid your tummy for a bit, overuse of one area means that eventually you'll get a build up of insulin at that bit and further insulin wont be absorbed.

The build up is what I'm afraid of. My sister in law has build up in her stomach and she hates it.

I have found that a new needle each time is really helping! I know it seems so simple, but the same sister in law had told me I could probably get 4-5 uses out of each pen needle, so I had been following her advice. I have to admit it's a bit of a pain to change the needle at each meal. I'm just being lazy.

Does anyone know if it's ideal to inject a bolus dose in the bum cheeks? I've heard of it, but also heard that it doesn't work as efficiently? I also feel like the logistics of doing it might be awkward

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
I've found the same recently - stomach, outer thigh, bum and arms all bruising, some quite bad! Also been diagnosed with anemia recently, so just kind of guessed they were linked?!
I'll take on board some of these comments about pressure and site rotation more though :)

I hadn't even thought about anemia!! While I'm not anemic, I was told my iron levels are low. That could very well be contributing.

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
I don't have the option. The p n just shoots. I do think the amount of insulin in one bolus makes a difference. I squeeze the skin, shoot, let the skin go and hold 5 seconds, never releasing the button, withdraw and usually good. If I didn't pinch the skin I think I would die

I tried this yesterday and today and it seems I don't have the option either. As softly as I tried to push the button it injected in the same way each time.

I was told never to squeeze the skin, as I could end up injecting in muscle instead of fat. I loved pinching it, because it didn't hurt at all!