8-week Blood Sugar Diet

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
IMAO he is cashing in, bordering on plagiarism of other people's work, but perhaps that is harsh if he is getting the info to the masses, much better than the original academic researchers have.
I was tending to that POV until I saw the Insight interview with both Moseley and Taylor - it's clear that Taylor is very happy to have Moseley be the public face for his research and I've no doubt Taylor's motive is purely helping Type 2 diabetics. I guess Taylor decided having a well-known charismatic "TV star" getting the message out was a good idea.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was tending to that POV until I saw the Insight interview with both Moseley and Taylor - it's clear that Taylor is very happy to have Moseley be the public face for his research and I've no doubt Taylor's motive is purely helping Type 2 diabetics. I guess Taylor decided having a well-known charismatic "TV star" getting the message out was a good idea.
Thanks @Indy51
Sometimes I can be too cynical. I also thought someone else had devised the 5:2 diet, (name escapes me) then Moseley published it, and put out TV programme here in UK, so everyone thinks it is his work. Best of all worlds for him then, TV medical journalist income and income from book sales.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Indy51
Sometimes I can be too cynical. I also thought someone else had devised the 5:2 diet, (name escapes me) then Moseley published it, and put out TV programme here in UK, so everyone thinks it is his work. Best of all worlds for him then, TV medical journalist income and income from book sales.
I'm kind of hoping that some of the income from the book is going towards Taylor's ongoing research, but I guess we'll never find out that info.

FloraDora

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm kind of hoping that some of the income from the book is going towards Taylor's ongoing research, but I guess we'll never find out that info.

Well Prof Roy Taylor does write the Foreword to the book where he fully endorses Michael Mosley's ability to 'preach to the masses' (my words summarising his). I guess there will be some kind of tie-in between the two of them.

Out of interest I asked my DN if anyone else had mentioned the 8-week diet and she said just only other lady. Surprising low level of interest! The DN did quite rightly enquire what I planned to do when I had completed the 8-weeks and my answer of Low Carb/Mediterranean and possibly 5:2 seemed to meet with her approval. Not that I set much store by her approval as she had previously pushed the value of the Eat Well Plate and an Hba1c result of 50 as being excellent!

Reactions: 4 people

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just received a call from the surgery about yesterday's blood tests. My heart fell when I heard who was calling as they only usually ring for bad news. The GP had asked them to phone me to give me a big well done. Since October my cholesterol has fallen from 7.3 to 5.9 and my blood sugar is now in normal range. She couldn't give me any figures on the glucose but I will know more on Monday when I pick up a print out of the results but for the first time in 6 years my blood test is showing I am not prediabetic! Now to improve and maintain!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
@Donnadoobie
Congratulations they are fantastic results!!

Reactions: 2 people

FloraDora

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just received a call from the surgery about yesterday's blood tests. My heart fell when I heard who was calling as they only usually ring for bad news. The GP had asked them to phone me to give me a big well done. Since October my cholesterol has fallen from 7.3 to 5.9 and my blood sugar is now in normal range. She couldn't give me any figures on the glucose but I will know more on Monday when I pick up a print out of the results but for the first time in 6 years my blood test is showing I am not prediabetic! Now to improve and maintain!

Congratulations - it feels amazing doesn't it. But also a big responsibility to maintain and improve! We might be out of the diabetic range - but no nearer to being able to eat cake!

Last edited by a moderator:

Joshuasnan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I haven't read it either. So not going to analyse it until I have. At less than £5 I feel it is worth the outlay, so have ordered a copy online, despite not really wanting to add to the income of Dr Moseley. IMAO he is cashing in, bordering on plagiarism of other people's work, but perhaps that is harsh if he is getting the info to the masses, much better than the original academic researchers have.
So will read, and digest, (pun intended) before commenting further,. Apart from observing that several posts have mentioned doing 'my version' of diet A,B,or C. If people are adapting a particular regime, then how can we really evaluate the diet they have adapted?
What book is this please?

neil1945

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Victorri Thanks for posting the information. Seems odd to me that a book about blood sugar management would not state carbs.

(Lovely cat, by the way)
I've put some of the recipes through my fitness pal to get the Carbs - But a diabetic Nurse is also running an 8 week course with higher als but low carb - she is Mary Kemp on [email protected] it will give alternate recipes

neil1945

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got the book (well, the Kindle version) after reading about it on this forum but realise it won't work for me because it requires too much attention to detail. Having a mildly obsessive personality, I know I would spend all day measuring, weighing and recording, leaving no time for anything else! What seems to be working for me at the moment (physically and mentally) is low carb, higher fat eating with the option of skipping meals when I'm not actually hungry. Recognising hunger has been the highlight of this process for me so far - that and realising that I won't fall apart if I decide not to eat for a few hours.

Isn't it great, the way we get so much useful information from each other? Love it.

Type 2, diagnosed 2010, controlled by diet and exercise.
You might fing the following of interest as I think the recipes are easier - its from a diabetic Nurse who is also running an 8 week course with higher als but low carb - she is Mary Kemp on [email protected] it will give alternate recipes

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought the 8 week diet book and the 5:2 diet book at the same time. Didn't think my partner would cope with the 8 week diet as he's on a lot of medication for other conditions that give him a big appetite. We have been doing the 5:2 diet with few problems though, for about 5 weeks now. We have both lost weight and his blood sugar has come down. The days we eat more we do low carb high fat. I only count calories on the 2 days. We often have porridge made with water for breakfast and I make the quantity it suggests in the book, which I think is about 175 calories. Then, for dinner in the evening, I do a normal meal like a piece of salmon with curly kale and French beans, or grilled chicken with a big salad, or I make a turkey curry (which is mostly carrot, courgette, onion and celery) with cauliflower rice. For dessert we have fresh strawberries or raspberries, or I make sugar free jelly, or sugar free mouse (which is a jelly with a bit of yogurt beaten into it before it sets). I sometimes make a "soup" as a starter if I have spare calories, which is a couple of leeks zapped in my mini chopper boiled up in a chicken stock cube. We eat well. I have 600 calories as well as my partner on the fact days because we always eat the same. So far so good. He's type 2 by the way.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I've put some of the recipes through my fitness pal to get the Carbs - But a diabetic Nurse is also running an 8 week course with higher als but low carb - she is.....
Thanks, but I am happy with my current diet and would be concerned about downloading something nasty from an ebook.

Dora66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I bought the 8 week diet book and the 5:2 diet book at the same time. Didn't think my partner would cope with the 8 week diet as he's on a lot of medication for other conditions that give him a big appetite. We have been doing the 5:2 diet with few problems though, for about 5 weeks now. We have both lost weight and his blood sugar has come down. The days we eat more we do low carb high fat. I only count calories on the 2 days. We often have porridge made with water for breakfast and I make the quantity it suggests in the book, which I think is about 175 calories. Then, for dinner in the evening, I do a normal meal like a piece of salmon with curly kale and French beans, or grilled chicken with a big salad, or I make a turkey curry (which is mostly carrot, courgette, onion and celery) with cauliflower rice. For dessert we have fresh strawberries or raspberries, or I make sugar free jelly, or sugar free mouse (which is a jelly with a bit of yogurt beaten into it before it sets). I sometimes make a "soup" as a starter if I have spare calories, which is a couple of leeks zapped in my mini chopper boiled up in a chicken stock cube. We eat well. I have 600 calories as well as my partner on the fact days because we always eat the same. So far so good. He's type 2 by the way.

Hi I went to the Nurse after a routine blood test.
She wanted to put me on medication for high cholesterol and high blood pressure .
She also wanted to put he on Metformin for T2Dw
I was horrified at this diagnosis .
I had heard of The Blood Sugar diet on BBC TV.so bought the book
I have been on this diet for the past 7 weeks.
I have lost 1st 12lbs in that time.
The next appointment with the Nurse is in another week, I hope to have lost 2stone by then.
Hopefully this will have re programmed my body and reduced sugar,cholesterol etc.
Wish me luck next week ...
Nothing to loose have I ?

Notwithstanding

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being fit & healthy
I have been on this diet (I am type 2) since 1st. Feb. I have lost 1st. 8 lb. After the first month, my average blood sugar level was 5.2. I have been on a couple of holidays in this time & strayed away from the diet a little, but soon re-adjusted to it once back home. Also, my strict discipline has relaxed a little (only a little) over the last 2 months. But, I am, essentially , sticking to the diet. My blood glucose levels have risen a little & now average 5.8. Overall, I am happy with this but a little disappointed to not be getting the 4s that I got in the first 2 months. Any comments ? I have never been on any medication, before or during the diet.

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly the same experience with me

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on this diet (I am type 2) since 1st. Feb. I have lost 1st. 8 lb. After the first month, my average blood sugar level was 5.2. I have been on a couple of holidays in this time & strayed away from the diet a little, but soon re-adjusted to it once back home. Also, my strict discipline has relaxed a little (only a little) over the last 2 months. But, I am, essentially , sticking to the diet. My blood glucose levels have risen a little & now average 5.8. Overall, I am happy with this but a little disappointed to not be getting the 4s that I got in the first 2 months. Any comments ? I have never been on any medication, before or during the diet.

If you have been on the diet since February (5 months), and only lost 22 pounds then I suspect that your body has adapted to the low calories and has significantly lowered its basal metabolic rate. You may find that shaking it up a bit, intermittent fasting, different amounts of activity, eating different amounts of calories on different days, etc. might be of benefit.

Hope that helps.

Regarding your comments on blood glucose levels, I appreciate your disappointment, especially after 5 months of hard work, but not everyone is going to see the full benefits of the diet. It just doesn't work that way. Although that is no consolation at all for the people who are in that group. :(

Notwithstanding

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being fit & healthy
If you have been on the diet since February (5 months), and only lost 22 pounds then I suspect that your body has adapted to the low calories and has significantly lowered its basal metabolic rate. You may find that shaking it up a bit, intermittent fasting, different amounts of activity, eating different amounts of calories on different days, etc. might be of benefit.

Hope that helps.

Regarding your comments on blood glucose levels, I appreciate your disappointment, especially after 5 months of hard work, but not everyone is going to see the full benefits of the diet. It just doesn't work that way. Although that is no consolation at all for the people who are in that group. :(
Thanks for your replies. I am not, overall, disappointed with my results. I am 6ft3in.When I started I was 13st. 10lb & am now 12st. 4lb. So, I didn't really need to lose much weight-my main motive was to "reverse the diabetes", or whatever it is you achieve from this diet. I am happy that I have achieved something like this & am continuing on a similar (less stringent) diet. I certainly take the suggestion about "shaking it up a bit" seriously. In fact, I think I am doing this. My only disappointment , overall, is that I have not returned to the lower BS levels that I initially achieved. Perhaps, with the"shake up" I will get back there. I was very interested to see that's Naomi425 had the same experience as me. That gave me a measure of reassurance. After all, 5.8 average is pretty good, is it not ?