cramps

dex44lego9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone does anyone get cramps in their feet or legs if so is this normal when you are diabetic.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, cramp on calf and toes, as well as fingers. This happens rarely but it does happen. No idea if it has anything to do with the diabetes or not. Sometimes it happens at night. I try stretching and massaging to ease the pain.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

T1DM2012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes i do, but it only seems to happen when my BG's are running a little higher then normal, especially when swimming :(

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are a lot of different reasons for cramps, from vitamin and salts deficiencies, to drug interactions, drug side effects (statins and metformin being the most common), but those are all treatable and largely avoidable.

I don't think that Diabetes in itself causes cramps.

Personally, I eat low carb, and if I didn't supplement with magnesium and potassium and make sure I get enough salt on my food, I would get cramps regularly. But thankfully I haven't had one in ages - due to the supplements. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Leg cramps can be caused by all manner of things, including high blood sugar and neuropathy, also deficiencies in salt and magnesium.
If you take statins these can also cause cramps in some people.

Reactions: 2 people

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was about 20 years old and diagnosed for 2 years as type 2 and I went to see the gp as I was getting cramps in the calf's and was told it has to be with salt and since I increased my salt intake I only get them once in a blue moon but that is what it is and how to cure it just add more salt