Anyone use Degludec (Tresiba) insulin?

Liz H

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my consultant has suggested I change from Lantus to Deglodec for my basal insulin as I suffer from night hypos. has anyone used this insulin? if so how is it, and would I use a similar dose as for Lantus?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @Liz H and welcome to the forum :)

There's a few type 1's on the forum who use Tresiba, one of them is @robert72 so hopefully he'll be along soon to offer you some support.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Liz H I was using Tresiba/degludec before going onto the pump, I thought it was great, only 1 injection a day, flat profile and didn't matter if I forgot my morning injection as it lasted 36 hours, so took it when I got home from work, best background insulin i'd tried. If I remember correctly I think I started on the same dose, which was then tweaked ;)

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Liz H

I have been using it for around 2 years and find it very flat. I would thoroughly recommend it over Lantus.

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Would echo what everyone else had said. It gives me a good flat profile and also I find it far more robust for when you take it. I go for anywhere between 6 and 11 in the morning with no impact on my levels. Definitely recommend it. I was previously taking Levemir once a day so can't comment on lantus but I did a straight swap at the same units.

Munim786

Hi Liz H, unlike yourself I was scared of trying something new. I was on Lantus for many years but a month ago switched to Tresiba. It's a lovely insulin. I use to suffer overnight hypo and whenever I did it was quite severe. On Tresiba I have only had one hypo episode overnight. I now awake with good morning blood sugars typically what I went to bed with unlike Lantus which gave me low blood sugars in the night and very high blood sugars in the morning. Unexplained Hypo's during the day have reduced in severity and number. I cannot recommend this insulin enough and I think you could benefit too. Don't be scared of it (if you are) I found Lantus more scary now looking back. I wish more diabetics would try it!

Here's an idea for dosage. I weigh 65KG- male. On Lantus I was Lantus 7 pre bed- and Lantus 3 arising.
I'm on Tresiba 6 pre-bed and Tresiba 3 when waking up.

Please watch this video as it describes how Tresiba works and forms like a gluey substance when you inject it.

Good luck x
Munim

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I switched from Lantus to Tresiba - the line is sooooo flat you could draw it with a ruler....and it doesn't sting like Lantus used to.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
No good for me as my colonis very slow at digesting foods...
On recent preparations for more stomach tests it was far easier to go back to Levemir which incidentally without eating/drinking anything but clear liquids and extra days of the bowel cleansing my basals went down hugely.. To a 1/5th of my normal rates.. Could not have had the flexibility on tresiba. Came off it 9 days before stomach investigations. It wasn't effective with me before all the preps due to my slow colon..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'm on Tresiba, but still having night time hypoglycaemia and morning spikes in blood sugar.

That was me too.. Went back to Levemir as it was taking too much bolus to correct getting up in the morning..
If I lowered the tresiba then went high at night and even higher in the morning.
At least with levemir although not perfect, I can adjust mirning and evening doses separately.

I was suprised that tresiba didn't help as I am no longer active during daytime gardening as I used to do.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on Tresiba, but still having night time hypoglycaemia and morning spikes in blood sugar.

I take Tresiba once at 10pm and find my BG staying flat. I don't experience the dawn phenomenon with Tresiba, maybe because the second-to-last + last evening doses overlap correctly during the DP while avoiding a hypo during sleep (my Dexcom shows a flat line at night).

With Levemir, I did split the dose morning/bedtime, which worked, but I struggled with DP. With Tresiba, I first tried splitting the dose as I did with Levemir but with erratic results - hypo in the evening and hyper in the morning just as @Larkin1 described.

The singular Tresiba shot at 10pm seems to work much better for me. Many thanks to @robert72 for relaying his Tresiba experiences in other posts.

Reactions: Noor nenay