Injecting insulin

Saeeda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys! I've not been here for quite a while now...but I've got a problem that really is worrying me.i think I mentioned this before (don't know how to find my messages).I inject insulin all around my stomach.my stomach has slowly gone gigantic now! I'm slim from everywhere and my stomach and belly stick out its too embarrassing.does anybody think it's too do with my diabetes and my insulin injecting

Munim786

image.jpeg

Hi Saeeda, please read Dr Bernstein Diabetes Solution available on Amazon UK.

Here's some basic information about insulin. Insulin with the help of fat cells converts glucose in your blood stream to body fat.
Insulin in other words builds body fat. You are suffering from a case of lipohypertrophy (fat accumulating on tissue) effects of insulin by constantly injecting in one small area.

The above picture shows an extreme case of lipohypertrophy- a type 1 diabetic girl injecting lots of insulin only in her legs.

My advice to you is to is firstly is read Dr Bernsteins Diabetes Solution.
I also advise you that to reduce lipohypertrophy on your abdomen is to eat less carbohydrates so you take less insulin.
Thirdly, if your taking subcutaneous (into body fat) injections you need to spread insulin injections onto other sites such as your bum and outer arms.

Good luck x

Munim

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 220
Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, I would add other areas to inject in. I use my thighs as well as my stomach. If you Google the web for insulin injections site there are loads of diagrams showing suggested areas. Some people react more to one insulin than another so may be worth discussing with your doc?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
anybody think it's too do with my diabetes and my insulin injecting

Yes it could well be lipohypertrophy issues if your injecting into the same area, let your DSN or Consultant take a look.

You can also use your arms, thighs & bum for injecting, when I was on MDI I would use my stomach & arms for my bolus injections and thighs & bum for my basal, have a look at the following link which explains where you can inject insulin:

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=7261

To find your previous posts just click on your Username, from there click on Profile Page and from there you will see Postings, once you click on Postings all your previous posts will appear.

Saeeda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
View attachment 19616
Hi Saeeda, please read Dr Bernstein Diabetes Solution available on Amazon UK.

Here's some basic information about insulin. Insulin with the help of fat cells converts glucose in your blood stream to body fat.
Insulin in other words builds body fat. You are suffering from a case of lipohypertrophy (fat accumulating on tissue) effects of insulin by constantly injecting in one small area.

The above picture shows an extreme case of lipohypertrophy- a type 1 diabetic girl injecting lots of insulin only in her legs.

My advice to you is to is firstly is read Dr Bernsteins Diabetes Solution.
I also advise you that to reduce lipohypertrophy on your abdomen is to eat less carbohydrates so you take less insulin.
Thirdly, if your taking subcutaneous (into body fat) injections you need to spread insulin injections onto other sites such as your bum and outer arms.

Good luck x

Munim

Saeeda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply and yes that really makes sense! I'll definitely read what u mentioned

Saeeda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, I would add other areas to inject in. I use my thighs as well as my stomach. If you Google the web for insulin injections site there are loads of diagrams showing suggested areas. Some people react more to one insulin than another so may be worth discussing with your doc?

Saeeda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and yes what you said I've learnt too but the problem im so slim everywhere else that I find it hard to pinch or grab a little area from everywhere before injecting!

Saeeda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it could well be lipohypertrophy issues if your injecting into the same area, let your DSN or Consultant take a look.

You can also use your arms, thighs & bum for injecting, when I was on MDI I would use my stomach & arms for my bolus injections and thighs & bum for my basal, have a look at the following link which explains where you can inject insulin:

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=7261

To find your previous posts just click on your Username, from there click on Profile Page and from there you will see Postings, once you click on Postings all your previous posts will appear.

Saeeda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.Yes I think I will change sites for my basal and bolus injections from today . and two people have now said the same problem I could have so il definitely buy the book

Munim786

Hi Saeeda, I strongly disagree with the above advice to inject into thighs. If you feel your thighs you will find little body fat and only a thin layer of skin with muscle below. You will likely inject into your muscle. The problem with injecting insulin into muscle is that it will work a lot faster than you'd want it to causing hypoglycaemia. You want to inject insulin into body fat especially if you eating a meal because you want the insulin to work simultaneously with your meal. If one works faster or slower than the other you will have roller coaster blood sugars.

The best places to inject insulin is your outer bum avoiding the flat area near where the spine begins.
Hold your arm out and you will find a little bit of body fat hanging between your elbow and shoulder.
And you abdomen an inch away from your belly button.
These are the best places to inject and won't cause the insulin to work unceserraily fast.

Again all this information is in Diabetes Solution.