Advice on Newcastle Diet for smaller women

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol Kevin. At the moment I think I'd be one of those largish Victorian matriarchs rather than a sylph corseted up

Which made me think that I may post a before and after photo of me if I get the time

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just catching up with this thread, and your results are impressive to say the least.
Stick with it, you are doing brilliantly!

I notice a few threads appearing about chasing Hba1c, and low BG.

The only numbers that matter are the ones that suit you.

Personally, I hate being in the 4's, if I working I can really feel it, and usually stop to eat when I go below 4.5 or so.
I test my fasting at random, I like my liver dump to get out of bed with, it wakes me up.
Then it'll vary depending how late I test.
(I don't keep snacks by my bed to fool my liver, I don't make testing the first thing I do every day, just to beat the rise that will happen. That's just fooling me.)
I also like my liver dump, as when I'm working or playing hard, it keeps me going, if I use it properly.

As to chasing Hba1c. It's is an average, sometimes your BG is up, sometimes it's down. If your Hba1c is massively low, it has to mean either it's wrong, your BG never, ever varies, or you're skirting very low BG a lot of the time.

For me, I'm comfy in the top end of normal for BG, and that also puts my Hba1c in the same region, which works for me.

Fasting, normal, 3.9 to 5.5
Up to 7.8 mmol/L (140 mg/dL) 2 hours after eating
Hba1c - Below 42 mmol/mol (6.0%)

So, listen to your own body, it'll let you know what it wants, and you certainly seem to be getting it there!
Congratulations once again.

Silver Hammer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maxwell, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Are you using the A1c+Now system for your home assessments? If not, as a matter of interest, what are you using?
AndBreathe
Yes, I am using the A1C Now+ tests. I used to get these in a pack of 10 from BHR, but now they only sell these to professionals with a 2 pack available for £51.50 which was too steep for me when 10 cost £102.60. I thought that I would not be able to get them again but the 10 pack came up on Amazon for around £115 so I snapped it up. I find them very good and when testing close to an official test they have always been within 1 so I believe that they are remarkably accurate.

Maxwell

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess you're totally right. I've only been in the 4s once and felt fine. I've never been a morning person hence most of my fbgs are after 9am. And I think that's coz my liver doesn't do a big dump to wake me up. Atm there's only a 0.2 difference between my post dinner bgls and my fasting. But yes eventually I will get to a level that feels right for me but it doesn't quite yet

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry the above post was in response to Sunny just in case people were confused

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you ever considered that your personal, normal, natural levels are not meant to be in the 4s? (No matter whether you "feel" they should be)

All our bodies are different and I know mine likes me to have a FBG in the 5s. I know this because I have my annual fasting venous BG levels going back to 2009, always between 5 and 5.5mmol/l until I was suddenly diagnosed T2 in 2014 with a FBG of 7mmol/l and HbA1c of 53. Now, on a VLC diet, they are back in the 5s again. I am expecting these to never drop to the 4s because that is not my natural level.

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have considered that of course but I have an inkling that 4s are me but happy for my body to stay in the 5s if that's what it wants. I've got years of this to go to see what is 'natural' for me

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just been to my annual diabetes review. DN very impressed. Don't need to take meds for diabetes and we talked about me coming off statins. Agreed this won't happen til hba1c in normal range but I'm happy with that. Had asthma review at same time and my breathing has improved considerably which is down to exercise and weight loss. Been told I can experiment with stopping meds for this after hay fever season is over. Then went to see dietician who was slightly impressed through gritted teeth. She was worried about me yo yoing and we agreed I'd add 100 Cals a week to my diet as I stop ND next week. She also agreed that I can do 600 Cals for a month in September. So all in all a good result I think

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm stress still spikes my bgls. Ah well. Lost another pound down to 8 stone 7. That's just under 54kg in new money

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also haven't been to a run for 3 days as every time I want to the monsoon starts again

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So this my last day and my last couple of posts. The worst of this diet has actually been this week. My body is now very tired and I got a kidney infection. So looking forward to a glass of wine and a spoonful of oppo ice cream tomorrow. I think the knowing I can eat normal Lchf in a few days has been the worst off it.

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to everyone who's helped me through this. We've had some interesting debates and I hope we've all learnt something. My diabetes is not in remission but I'm officially diet controlled with a very impressed GP and DN (less impressed dietician. I've lost 1 stone 3lbs in weight. My waist has gone down 6 inches and my bgls 99% of the time are in normal range and it looks as though a by product of all this is that my asthma has been reversed! I want to lose more weight and now I know it's possible. The point of setting up this room for support but also as a test around whether 800 calories for a smaller woman has worked: a) I kept to the diet and b) at normal BMI 800 calories is too much.

So thanks again everyone I'll be toasting you all (and my metabolism with a glass of red and a small dollop of Lchf ice cream tomorrow night)

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks to everyone who's helped me through this. We've had some interesting debates and I hope we've all learnt something. My diabetes is not in remission but I'm officially diet controlled with a very impressed GP and DN (less impressed dietician. I've lost 1 stone 3lbs in weight. My waist has gone down 6 inches and my bgls 99% of the time are in normal range and it looks as though a by product of all this is that my asthma has been reversed! I want to lose more weight and now I know it's possible. The point of setting up this room for support but also as a test around whether 800 calories for a smaller woman has worked: a) I kept to the diet and b) at normal BMI 800 calories is too much.

So thanks again everyone I'll be toasting you all (and my metabolism with a glass of red and a small dollop of Lchf ice cream tomorrow night)

I'm glad you've have a positive experience with the diet.

I hope you continue to post, and let us know what your fasting level settles out at now you've finish the diet, and what your levels are pre and post meals.

Enjoy your glass of wine, and ice cream, you've certainly earned it.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Well done in keeping to your diet and the very good progress you have achieved. I feel I'm in a similar position to you being able to control by diet and exercise. Sending my best wishes for your continued journey and look forward to hearing continued good progress.