Finger nails

broads

Do vertical ridges on finger nails have anything to do with diabetes or any other illness or are they just a symptom of old age? Also is there anything I can do to soften my brittle nails? Thanks

Romola

Pop into Superdrug or Boots and buy a 4 way nail buffer - it should cost £2 -3ish.

Side 1 is like a nail file, so you can shape your nails if they need it.

Side 2 is a smoother. Rub this lightly over the ridges on your nails. It will get rid of them and leave the surface lovely and smooth.

Side 3 is a buffer. Give nails a gentle buff to boost the circulation etc

Side 4 is the fun one. It is the polisher and you use it to give your nails a really good polish. You can get them to polish up so that they almost look as if you have colourless nail varnish on. It's like magic.

You can use the polisher as much and as often as you like.

Something to do whilst watching TV of an evening :D

You can also get cuticle oil that you apply about once a week (if you remember) and massage into the cuticles. Also just frequent use of handcream will help soften nails up.

Best of luck from Romola, whose NY resolutions were to drink more water and to look after her nails.

broads

Thanks Ramola. I shall do as you suggest , no disrespect intended but I was more interested in the medical aspect rather than appearance. ie do the vertical lines mean anything from a medical point of view?
regards

Romola

Vertical ridges aren't a sign of disease - I understand that horizontal ones can be.

There are several articles online if you search for them that will tell you more.

broads

Thanks so much for that Sue. I do have ridges but are not unsightly or infected like the pictures on your link suggest so don't think I have a problem. I will however mention it when I go for my yearly check up next month. Thank you

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Eating cheese may help.

broads

Hi Edwardia, I have taken you up on your suggestion and got some Perfectil tablets. many thanks. Regards