What does the UK leaving the EU mean for us?

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes the NHS can get a lot worse, it can cease to exist. What some don't realise is that the people with millions employ others (even indirectly through their spending habits) and pay taxes (most of them do). Your post touches on a valid point though, many voted leave because of jealousy - jealousy of the rich and even those just slightly better off and jealousy of immigrants getting the jobs that Brits simply don't want to do.

Brexit has already affected my family adversely financially ( a house sale lost being just one of the things that has happened since Thursday) and it will affect you too when you buy groceries in the future and when we have no NHS.

My son said this morning that he simply doesn't care now, he doesn't feel this is his country, the one he was born into anymore. The oldies have said "We've got our country back". Those under the age of 40 have lost theirs.

Yes the NHS could get worse, it could also get better. At least we are not now at risk of TTIP which accordingly to fullfact.org "...mentioned that legal advice commissioned by Unite, which concludes that “TTIP poses a real and serious risk to future [government] decision-making in respect of the NHS”. Yes, we may have been able to veto TTIP in the EU or put in certain wording to try and save the NHS but there are lots of potential legal loopholes to this and the big American insurance companies would love to get in there. Now we can negotiate with America on our own terms.

I am totally fed up with remainers negative attitudes, it is time to move forward. Remainers do have some excellent crystal balls, they seem to know exactly what is going to happen in the future, the country is going implode, there will be no food in the shops, there will be no NHS, no jobs and only British cars for sale. Perhaps you all should have used your crystal balls to move to EU countries before it was too late?

The remain complainers do like clutching at straws too: we voted out because we are racist, we voted out because we were ignorant and now we voted out because we were jealous. Honestly!

Reactions: 2 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I had power cut last night and my hairdryer blew up this morning - where will it end? **** brexiters - oh that's me - i only have my own stupid unintelligent, greedy,jealous, racist self to blame

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I had power cut last night and my hairdryer blew up this morning - where will it end? **** brexiters - oh that's me - i only have my own stupid unintelligent, greedy,jealous, racist self to blame

Haha! great post (says a Remainer to a Leaver).
Wanted to leave a laughing smilie, but then thought it could be interpreted at snide, and don't mean to be snide. :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Catlady19, no-one you know and none of your friends have been affected by the overt racism and Xenophobia that is now taking place I take it? I'm afraid that some of mine have. The scum that they are are doing some pretty grim things. My friend's band's Drummer was beaten up in the pub last night for being Portuguese. Directly as a result of Brexit. Another white British friend has been told to take his dirty kids back out of the UK (their mother is of Foreign origin) as they are not welcome. This has never happened before.

This is a direct consequence of the dirty, hateful campaign that focused on immigration over everything else. Right now, I don't care about everything else. The country has turned into an unpleasant and nasty place overnight.

In the long run we'll get where we're going. I think it's a fair prediction that it's going to be tough.

As an example, based on the feedback from the German Regulator and ECB yesterday, if the LSE/Deutsche Boerse merger goes ahead (who knows now?) they will not allow it to be headquartered in the UK due to the amount of Euro exposure of the combined entity.

The rest of the Euro business will follow, because the much derided European Court of Justice ruled that due to the much derided freedom of labour & movement rules, the UK had as much right to run the Euro business as the Eurozone, so it over-rode the ECB. That will no longer apply.

Conservative estimates are that the loss of that business is worth about £10bn in tax takings and a fair proportion of the jobs that are in the City and more importantly, other areas where finance is strong (Scotland and Birmingham). The likelihood is not that there will be a loss of jobs, but more likely a movement of expertise abroad.

Okay, Finance doesn't make up the world, but that isn't Crystal Ball gazing, it's simply a case of using the past to predict the future. There are plenty of precedents and policies out there that show it won't be straightforward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

KBev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We were told "not to trust the experts" by the Leave campaign. What in the world are we doing, if we aren't to trust people who have dedicated years of their lives to becoming experts in their field? I agree there's a big negative backlash, but I think now it's really important to be as positive as people feel they can be, trying to bridge the gaps in communities where people now no longer feel safe. We have to keep talking to each other, and not be afraid of our differences. No one (at least none of the people I know) are saying all Brexiters are racist. That's an awful assumption. But, all racists now think 52% of the country agree with them. I know this topic isn't the point of the thread. But it has an impact on those people within our NHS, and where they see their future. It's not scaremongering; it's reality. We won't be protected from damaging corporate multi-national trade agreements because of the result. We now have less bargaining power than before. And since Farage just publicly humiliated us in Brussels - we have isolated ourselves further. This ain't the British Empire any more (thank goodness!!).

Reactions: 7 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Catlady19

I respect anyone's right to make a decision based on their assessment of the politics, the economics, the mathematics, their optimism/pessimism and their general hope of a better future. Consequently I have no problem with people voting for those reasons, whichever way they voted.

But this whole racism and xenophobia thing is a toxic blight on everyone regardless of which way they voted, and your posts sweep that under the carpet and then claim injustice? Bizarre. It undermines everything else you say.

KBev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why is acknowledging something a "toxic blight"?

I am unsure as to whether you have replied to me or someone else. My apologies if I have caused any offence.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why is acknowledging something a "toxic blight"?

I am unsure as to whether you have replied to me or someone else. My apologies if I have caused any offence.

I was addressing Catlady19. :)

And I agree with your post, @KBev

KBev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear. I am super sensitive this week!! I am having to field racist comments from colleagues and try to make them see that whilst practically nothing may change that immediately, ideologies have been decimated. Still they bemoan migration and see it is as being an unfair drain on our society. I need a placard, to beat them over the head with ;-) (Joking! "Everyone entitled to an opinion. Etc.")

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All these attacks by the far right racist lunatics are despicable. We all know that and appreciate it has grown out of the referendum. However, would this still not have happened had we voted to remain? A backlash of retribution and revenge? I believe it would have, so please don't blame those who voted to leave. If anything at all is to blame it is the referendum itself.

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All these attacks by the far right racist lunatics are despicable. We all know that and appreciate it has grown out of the referendum. However, would this still not have happened had we voted to remain? A backlash of retribution and revenge? I believe it would have, so please don't blame those who voted to leave. If anything at all is to blame it is the referendum itself.

Absolutely.
We can also blame the style, selective 'evidence' and arguments of both parties during the campaign.
Huge mistakes all round which have effectively allowed some people to believe their racism is supported by the majority.

Reactions: 3 people

Chl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Right wing politics
Wouldn't be so sure on TTIP. It's a right-wing policy; UK govt is more right-wing than EU; TTIP may well resurface

My reason for saying the EU is less right-wing than the UK govt is that, even though the ministers are broadly similar the strongest EU states - France and Germany - are held back by the strength of the industrial working class in their countries. Just my opinion

Reactions: 4 people

toffski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The NHS will be in trouble is Boris becomes leader.

Boris Johnson saying "People should have to pay for services", so they "value them more", and Tory MEP for South East England Daniel Hannam describing the NHS as a "60-year-old mistake".

I agree that the service is under pressure and something has to give but my feeling is that the UK will move toward opening up a two-tier system.

The Swiss system, which is all private, works very well but its super expensive and if you have a pre-existing condition (like diabetes) you can't buy into any of the add-ons (not that I need any).

I have zero complaints about the way it works here but there is no way I could have afforded it on my UK salary. Its almost as much as my UK mortgage was, per month.

oh and @Catlady19 - we don't think you're all racists. As Billy Bragg said just before the referendum, "not every Leave voter is a racist, but every racist will vote leave".

How ever you look at it, its given the right-wing in the UK a platform. Farage is completely to blame with his utterly diabolical ad campaign. You might have voted Leave for any number of very good reasons but you also gave justification to that odious little man.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sweep that under the carpet and then claim injustice? Bizarre. It undermines everything else you say.
I do not feel that just because I did not start my post with a statement about how disgusting racism is that I "swept it under the carpet". If it means my posts are 'undermined' then let me stand up and say loud and clear that ANY form of racism is absolutely deplorable and despicable and should be dealt with in the fastest and most severe way possible. @tim2000s just because none of my friends and colleagues have been unlucky enough to personally experience these disgusting events does not mean that I do not empathise with others plight.

Reactions: 6 people

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Okay, Finance doesn't make up the world, but that isn't Crystal Ball gazing, it's simply a case of using the past to predict the future. There are plenty of precedents and policies out there that show it won't be straightforward
Yes I agree. Of course it wont be straightforward. What I was saying in my previous post is that whilst one can use experience and expert advice to predict what is going to happen - it hasn't actually happened yet. So many people, have so many opinions about what is definitely going to happen in their opinion. So, unless they do actually have a crystal ball they cannot say for certain that these things will happen.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

So very true @Bluetit1802

We have to remember it is the actions of a mindless few who are stirring racial hatred, it would be wrong on so many levels to assume that these idiots are acting on behalf of either the Remain or Leave voters in last weeks EU Referendum.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
oh and @Catlady19 - we don't think you're all racists. As Billy Bragg said just before the referendum, "not every Leave voter is a racist, but every racist will vote leave".
You might not, but plenty of people on this forum and on social media have accused or made insinuations of leavers being racist. As for "every racist will vote leave" I disagree. I think that if it suited a racist to vote remain for his own personal gain then he would. I refuse to believe that within 48% of the population that voted remain that there was not at least one racist among them!
Yes, Farage is a complete ****, but that is not the fault of the leave voters! Yes, @Brunneria I totally agree that a minority of disgusting racist xenophobes are putting a "toxic blight on everyone regardless of which way they voted" and that they are using this situation to spread their hate. As @Bluetit1802 mentioned, this may still of happened as a backlash if remain had of won, no one can know.
At the end of the day, you can't blame the voters, it is the referendum itself that is to blame. If you want to blame someone, blame Cameron for starting this process in the first place. It has been said that no one had a plan for Brexit, if that is actually true then shame on Cameron for holding this referendum in the first place. If that is trued then it is grossly negligent to allow the public to make such a huge decision without having a forward plan, regardless of the outcome! He got us into this and now he has said "f**k you lot, I am not dealing with this mess"! :eek: