Fasting for a blood test

broads

If you're having a fasting blood test and you eat your evening meal at about 6 o'clock and the following morning you go for the blood test how much difference will it make to the results whether you go for an early morning test or one round about lunchtime? We have available some 'early bird' appointments at about 7.30 am. I can have tests done either early morning or lunchtime at my surgery. As I am no longer working I opt to have the test done at lunchtime rather than get up early but have often wondered which is best. By the way I do not have any hunger problems waiting till lunchtime.
Regards

whatashock

I had a blood test today, and wanted it as early as possible, as I cant wait until lunch time.

I presume it if for your hba1c, and if it is, I dont see any problem as it is a 3 month average anyway.

If it is for anything else, I presume you need to be more specific.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
For HbA1c, it only matters that you haven't eaten or drunk anything but water for 10 hours.
I am the most difficult person to bleed that there is. So I go to the West Berkshire Community Hospital 10 miles away, where the phlebotomists are very kind to me. This time it took 2 of them 3 attempts, which is an improvement on 3 of them and 5 attempts last time. I then go for a breakfast at their lovely cafe.
I prefer to go early, because I hate sitting waiting and the queues start to build about mid morning. They ask that only patients for fasting tests go early, so I get seen quickly. It take about half an hour to get my blood anyway.
Hana

Edwardia

Please check with your GP as my blood tests are never fasting ones unless cholesterol. I have checked with DNS and she agreed they only need to be fasting if cholesterol.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Ouch, Hana, it sounds as if you are made pretty much like me. Most people go pale when they see me coming to them for a blood test and I am not much better myself!

I have just had blood taken for the next clinic appointment and although they knew what it was for no-one said anything about fasting. :shock: I suppose that is because of the above! :roll:
That being the case I suppose I will have to have another one done - oh joy!

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've never heard of fasting before an HbA1c. Is this a new idea for T2s? Not sure it would make a meaningful difference to the result because its an average. Fasting is usually instructed for glucose tolerance or cholesterol tests.

Dippy3103

I thought i was the only one that didn't bleed to order!! The nurse at our practice uses peadiatric needles on me, which seems better... unless she is just humouring me and my terror of needles!
Different story if i nick my leg shaving... copious amounts then!

bufferz

I bleed well enough, its just the practice nurse can never find a good vein to draw from, i had this problem when i used to give blood - the worst bit is when she gets it in, but no blood comes out, and so she has to wiggle the needle, and this ends up brusing my arms to buggery! :roll: Mine are always fasting for my chol tests,,,,

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Just had a blood test done last week and the phlebotomist explained that I have the kind of veins that have to be 'hooked' and is why I am always bruised. "Too much information" I cried! :shock: