Pre diabetic with IBS-C

Babes59

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone have the combination of pre diabetic with irritable bowel syndrome with constipation? I was just diagnose with
borderline diabetes today. I'm worried because I also have ibs-c with some serious stomach issues. I confused on what foods to eat. The only food that help with the pooping situation is plain greek yogurt with the REAL honey.. Now I don't know if I can
continue eating my good feeling stomach foods. Please can someone help me with this???

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you get a referral to a dietician to help you figure out what foods might work best for your tummy & sugars combined? Many prediabetics eat yogurt, but it can be a process of trial & error to find out what will work best for you. Do you have a glucose monitor so you can check when you eat things to see how they are affecting you?

NoughtQAF

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone have the combination of pre diabetic with irritable bowel syndrome with constipation?

Hi Babes59 I have IBS-C & 4 months into a type 2 diagnosis. My experience of trying to work with both is that it is an individual journey of trial and error. I have found that foods which affected my IBS prior to the diabetes now are more tolerable (e.g. cucumber, spinach, & oats) and some foods which were ok are not now (e.g. yoghurt, refined wheat, & honey).

In terms of the relationship between food and blood glucose levels I'm still finding a contradictory experience! However having reduced my total carbohydrate daily intake to around 150g and trying to construct that of starch rather sugar seems to be having a positive effect on both IBS-C and blood glucose levels.

I don't anything I've written is helpful, but you're not alone on having both.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would ask to see a dietician as already mentioned above,

if you have a bg meter you could see how your bg is when eating the foods that work best for your ibs, testing before you eat then 1 & 2 hours after

If you don't have a bg meter you will definitely benefit from getting one :)

Helss

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm really struggling with IBS-D. It's been more unstable the last few weeks than in years, as I'm finding low carb foods are triggers. It's all been a nightmare and continues to be. I've got a dietician appointment in June and until then am dosing on imodium and experimenting. Given I'm in the opposite situation to @Babes59 maybe my experience might help? Lots of fresh veg, salads. I've had to back right off dairy again and will need to return to my old diet of white meat gently cooked. So LCHF doesn't really work for the IBS, might be ideal for you?

Lilliepop

I'm in the same situation as you and it drives me Mad!I have been on the fodmap diet when I can get my head round it properly I'm sure it will help. There is so much info about it books etc. Hope it helps.

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
How is everyone doing?

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

LittleWolf

I wonder what the relationship between slow digestive transit and blood sugar levels is. Would constipated individuals possibly digest food and have glucose enter the blood stream over a longer period of time making it harder for the pancreas to keep playing catch-up? I mean I find my BS is more quickly stabilised after a short sharp shock of pure sugar than it is after a fatty, Cathy pizza that takes longer to process. I find my sugar levels generally worse when my constipation is.

Greek yoghurt does wonders for the bowels and isn't very high in sugars. I'm lactose intolerant and the sugar lactose is usually broken down into lactic acid in yoghurts.