Type 1 Diabetic Prime Minister

Gaztheoldpunk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Bet she doesn't have to rely on counting how many test strips she's got left to last her untill her script next goes into the docs....!!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 2 people

GBS_82_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it will be good for us. I'm not suggesting there will be a revolution or that the NHS will change dramatically. But if a type 1 can be PM, perhaps people will stop assuming we have to impose limits on our own ambitions which they often do.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it will be good for us. I'm not suggesting there will be a revolution or that the NHS will change dramatically. But if a type 1 can be PM, perhaps people will stop assuming we have to impose limits on our own ambitions which they often do.

Just when T1 sports persons, actors & musicians wasn't inspiration enough...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
She is type 2, I believe not on insulin.

No she's type 1, initially they believed she was type 2 but the diagnosis was soon changed.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, she was mis-diagnosed as T2 and shortly after declared T1 and on insulin. Hopefully this will help the case for better recognition of Late onset T1 which many in the medical profession don't believe exists based on my experience.

Reactions: 4 people

alexask

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have already emailed her asking whether she is aware of the freestyle libre. Of course if she does start to use it she will wonder why it isn't on the NHS.....:)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have already emailed her asking whether she is aware of the freestyle libre. Of course if she does start to use it she will wonder why it isn't on the NHS.....:)

Won't she just claim it on "expenses"? ;)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
After watching Sky News this morning it's looking extremely likely that Theresa will be the next Conservative Leader/PM.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, if she does get in, I hope she wouldn't place any personal health agenda above anybody else's health agenda - I would see that as unprofessional.

I am all for better targeted provisions to particular areas of the NHS, under expert advisement, but would get pretty miffed if an important politician based their decision on personal preferences.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Theresa May scoffs at claims that type 1diabetes would mean she wouldn't cope as PM - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...vourite-PM-says-EU-chiefs-talk-UK-Brexit.html

Look Ms May and I would probably never be best friends and there are likely key issues and values upon which we would disagree (but at least it seems like she does have values and isn't simply in it for the power or the highest bidder).

I am so pleased that the only places I have seen her diabetes discussed is on diabetes.co.uk and other diabetic groups/websites. I was worried there would be all kinds of nonsense about hypos and ability etc. It gets only a passing mention in this Mail on Sunday interview, which is all it deserves. I do admire her attitude to her diabetes, which is: it's not an issue, end of story.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bet she doesn't have to rely on counting how many test strips she's got left to last her untill her script next goes into the docs....!!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Why would any T1D have to do this? Your testing strips should not be limited and you should be able to order them on prescription with out any issue.

C

catherinecherub

Hi @slip,
There are several Type1s who have had trouble obtaining enough testing strips and others have had to advise them how to complain as their G.P.s do not seem to see the seriousness of their plight.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope she is our next prime minister because it is about time we had another woman I do not know why if she is the next one that people think because she has diabetes herself she should do automatically do something for other diabetics. Exactly what do they think she should do