Obstructive Sleep Apnoea

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Hi, I had a polysomnography (sleep study) done overnight in hospital in mid February. I received the results yesterday and it showed positive for sleep apnoea.

I will receive another inpatient appointment soon to be fitted for a CPAP machine and another to test the results. Are there any other CPAP users on the forum and any advice or information you could give me ?

Thanks
Edward.

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, i am. Make sure you get the water compartiment that Goes with it, otherwise its easy to get sore throat. At first, you might just manage 1-2h, dont beat yourself, it Goes up slowly over Time

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 3 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi, I had a polysomnography (sleep study) done overnight in hospital in mid February. I received the results yesterday and it showed positive for sleep apnoea.

I will receive another inpatient appointment soon to be fitted for a CPAP machine and another to test the results. Are there any other CPAP users on the forum and any advice or information you could give me ?

Thanks
Edward.
Hi Eddie

Sorry been away. I have been using a CPAP machine for 4 years now. It has made a huge difference but did take some time getting comfortable with it. I use a resmed and it is very reliable and easy to operate. My suggestioin is to see if you can nget away with using the Pillows rather than a full mask as it is much more comforatble. let me know if there are any questions you may have

Cheers
Muzza

Reactions: 3 people

robin100145

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there Eddie... I expect by now you will have your appointment for a cpap machine. I have been using one for about 6 years now and it has made a tremendous difference to my life.
I was started by the sleep team in St Thomas' Hospital in London on a ResMed S8 machine and after a week of not getting on very well with it, I went back and was given a humidifier to go with it. That made all the difference and I can still remember the incredible feeling of being properly rested and alive when I woke up after about 6 hours of peaceful sleep - it was sensational! Since then I have moved to the South Coast and had my care transferred to the QA hospital in Portsmouth. I have found them to be very helpful and supportive - they've given me a new modern ReaMed machine the S9, which has lots of useful functions like an auto magic pressure monitor which can raise or lower the pressure according to my breathing pattern when I am asleep and has a heated delivery pipe to the facebook that prevents any condensate sloshing around in the tube when the air temperature is lower, such as in the winter months.
As advised, make sure you get a machine that has a water tank, otherwise you will wake up with a sore throat...!
Best of luck.... Robin

Reactions: 2 people

robin100145

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just seen the post I wrote as changed by predictive text...! Hope you can make sense of it... The machine I have now is a ResMed S9 with humidifier and climate control pipe. It is fairly quiet in operation, which is important, although my wife sometimes complains that the facemask can leak band make loud farting noises in the middle of the night. The S8 machine itself made more mechanical noise. I put the machine on the floor beside the bed where it makes the least amount of noise. You will have to remember to de-scale the water tank at least once a month, unless you live in a soft water area, or fill the reservoir with bottled water. Cheers... Robin

S

Shar67

I put essential oil in my water tank, usually something citrusy falling to sleep with the smell of fresh orange is great

Last edited: