Why Cutting Carbs From Your Diet Is A Bad Move

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Wow ! This gets interesting.
By the way. Who or what are these Ketones. Are they a new group ?
I think they were on at Glastonbury, one of John Peel's favourites.

Reactions: 2 people

fene48

How can so called experts get the analysis and advice so wrong, so often?

I've been on an LCHF diet for 3 months and found it very sustainable and my energy levels have been incomparable compared to my pre LCHF diet.

Additionally I know there are members of this community who have sustained an LCHF diet for 20 or 30 years.

Why Cutting Carbs From Your Diet Is A Bad Move https://apple.news/AV_X9zLTMTgqhRFIjeSCPew

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum
Hi Kev
If you want to read a balanced article from experts (I don't mean the product pushing self promoting loony fringe) check out the July 2016 newsletter on www.gisymbol.com. A refreshing change and no nonsense account of what happened in diet and nutrition over the last 20 years. The message is one size and one solution does not fit all.
I am not a supporter of any particular dietary approach, but found this article thought provoking and informative.
Cheers

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Hi Kev
If you want to read a balanced article from experts (I don't mean the product pushing self promoting loony fringe) check out the July 2016 newsletter on www.gisymbol.com. A refreshing change and no nonsense account of what happened in diet and nutrition over the last 20 years. The message is one size and one solution does not fit all.
I am not a supporter of any particular dietary approach, but found this article thought provoking and informative.
Cheers

Thanks, I'll read this with interest:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

MargJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sat in a hospital ward last week while visiting and overheard a dietician telling a newly diagnosed type 2 to have half a plate of carbs at every meal. Obviously could not intervene but decided to talk to the patient at next visit. Unfortunately he was sent home and I missed the chance. I was furious that he was given such bad advice. The NHS are still spouting wrong advice!

Reactions: 4 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I sat in a hospital ward last week while visiting and overheard a dietician telling a newly diagnosed type 2 to have half a plate of carbs at every meal. Obviously could not intervene but decided to talk to the patient at next visit. Unfortunately he was sent home and I missed the chance. I was furious that he was given such bad advice. The NHS are still spouting wrong advice!
I am sorry. You think that advice is wrong. I happen to agree with you on that. However, we must bear in mind that the majority of people in the UK are unaware of any Carb restricted diet. Most dietary advice in magazines, leaflets, and books abd TV in the UK are calorie restriction diets. It is only because I am Diabetic that I came across this Forum, and discovered the joy that a carb restricted diet can bring. Atkins was one of the first mainstream diet plans to focus on carbs, but it was aimed at non diabetics just to lose weight. Since then others have evolved that are now targetting diabetics (and cancer patients too) and we have anecdotal evidence that it benefits us. But for the NHS to adopt and promote an LC diet requires proper scientific study which is only just beginning to happen. As this thread title says, there are many who believe that cutting carbs is actually harmful, and so far we do not have the 'proof' required to fully convince them otherwise. As a user of an LC diet, I can say that I am at the moment 'going at risk' since I do not yet have the full picture. But for me, not following this diet also puts me at risk, so I am prepared to run with it.

shoki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Agree. Had I not had time to click the red headline, I could have gone out/away worrying about my recent decision to try low carb way of eating (and gratefully discovering how efficacious it can be in controlling spikes following a meal. So, yes irresponsible if only on account of the possibility of misleading newbies, and it is not a sufficiently excusable reason to submit that it was not in the newly diagnosed part of the fora.

Michael2457

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude,Ignorant people.Manners & respect for others cost nothing.
If i may add another side to the carbs Issue. Before I had Diabetes T2 ,I was a active keep fit fanatic and dependent on carbs. Now I have T2 I no longer a fanatic. However, I do go for one hour daily fast paced walks. I then went on a a Low carb diet and got my fasting mmol/L to 4- 5,and average 8 after meals.

However, I couldn't take a hours walk no longer,as I would feel week,nearly pass out. So I then abandoned the Low Carb diet and went to daily couple of slices of wholegrain bread ,porridge,small portions of wholegrain pasta,baked potatoes etc. I now can walk long periods again.no longer weak,plus my fasting readings have not changed but my non fasting after meals is 10 mmol/L or below.

With the carbs and diabetes issue, I personally think Its down to the Individual and their lifestyles,as we are all different.all lead different lives. Telling the same low carb message to someone who sits at home watching tv all day, to someone who has a physically active job,lifestyle will produce different affects.

M

mojo37

If i may add another side to the carbs Issue. Before I had Diabetes T2 ,I was a active keep fit fanatic and dependent on carbs. Now I have T2 I no longer a fanatic. However, I do go for one hour daily fast paced walks. I then went on a a Low carb diet and got my fasting mmol/L to 4- 5,and average 8 after meals.

However, I couldn't take a hours walk no longer,as I would feel week,nearly pass out. So I then abandoned the Low Carb diet and went to daily couple of slices of wholegrain bread ,porridge,small portions of wholegrain pasta,baked potatoes etc. I now can walk long periods again.no longer weak,plus my fasting readings have not changed but my non fasting after meals is 10 mmol/L or below.

With the carbs and diabetes issue, I personally think Its down to the Individual and their lifestyles,as we are all different.all lead different lives. Telling the same low carb message to someone who sits at home watching tv all day, to someone who has a physically active job,lifestyle will produce different affects.

I must admit , although not quite as active as you sound , I find that low carbing makes me really tired I tried increasing proteins and fats but it doesn't seem to give the energy that carbs do .I know ,and take note of their lifestyles etc because of my own diabetic state , many type 2 diabetics and the way the condition effects people varies greatly.Some can't eat things like porridge without a spike but i can and yet when it comes to bread arhhhhh mine goes up a lot and that's wholemeal. And I so love bread :(

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I must admit , although not quite as active as you sound , I find that low carbing makes me really tired I tried increasing proteins and fats but it doesn't seem to give the energy that carbs do .I know ,and take note of their lifestyles etc because of my own diabetic state , many type 2 diabetics and the way the condition effects people varies greatly.Some can't eat things like porridge without a spike but i can and yet when it comes to bread arhhhhh mine goes up a lot and that's wholemeal. And I so love bread :(

I have the same issue with bread and also with oats/porridge- sadly.

But my energy levels on a fairly strict LCHF are incredible. The differences really are quite interesting:)

M

mojo37

I have the same issue with bread and also with oats/porridge- sadly.

But my energy levels on a fairly strict LCHF are incredible. The differences really are quite interesting:)

I suppose with myself I haven't stuck to low carbing for long ..I tend to try for a few days that feel like weeks ;) So I should really stick it out for longer ..my 17 yr old daughter thinks that I am a carb addict she could be right cos I crave them :rolleyes:

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Not low carb, but low GI. Its gives you the option of real potatoe mash as a change from the cauli mash. They are called Carisma potatoes and they have a great deal of charisma for this Type 2. So start agitating for them in the UK - I'm sure we would be happy to supply them.
I'd say that 9g per 100g is low, isn't it? It's about half the content of ordinary potatoes.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can we get these spuds in the UK anywhere?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@mojo37 and @Michael2457 - Many, many people find carbs to be addictive; the more they have, the more they want. Similarly, changing our diets and/or lifestyle often involves a period of adaptation. For example, and not necessarily relating to diabetes, some of those used to drinking strong coffee, then decide to cut it out, find they have headaches, irritation, low mood, low energy and so on, but that can be some form of withdrawal.

Some find the same with carbs, or certain types of carbs, and it's so common it has been given a name. :) It's often referred to as Carb Flu. If you think you may have experienced it, it's worth doing a little reading on the subject.

Michael, fro a personal perspective, I wouldn't like to be going up to 10, even after meals. I like to be a bit lower than that, and thankfully I have been able to achieve that by trimming back my carbs. Maybe I was fortunate not to have any disturbing reaction that affected how I felt or what activity I could undertake.

Clearly each of us has to find our own way forward with this.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agree. Had I not had time to click the red headline, I could have gone out/away worrying about my recent decision to try low carb way of eating (and gratefully discovering how efficacious it can be in controlling spikes following a meal. So, yes irresponsible if only on account of the possibility of misleading newbies, and it is not a sufficiently excusable reason to submit that it was not in the newly diagnosed part of the fora.

If your first post as a newbie is that you would only read a single headline, from one post, then completely change your diet, without even bothering to find out why cutting carbs is bad for you, I would suggest you spend a lot more time deciding what it is you want to achieve from this site.

It is it is full of useful information, but you do have to invest in it, and spend time improving your diet, as you owe it to yourself.

I would also suggest, if you think a single line would put you off, look at both the benefits, and the downsides, and contra indications of low carb before undertaking it, as, while it does help BG, it isn't the way for everyone.

If you post and ask for advice, there is a course I believe, (I've not read it) suggested by the site, which does advise why it isn't suitable for all, but suggests a good way to proceed if you believe it will suit you.