Gliclazide advice ....

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks,

Since I was diagnosed with T2 I have been on metformin (now slow release) but found I hardly ever made it below 10.

Seeing a different doctor, I have been given Gliclazide - which has definitely had a positive effect.

However, I had my first hypo on the first day I took it. (3.1) and since then I have had several occasions when my readings are low 4s.
I don't know if this is good - or normal - for some people, but does anyone else take this medication and how do you manage it?

Thank you for your help!

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Cloudlesssky - You are at risk of low blood sugar if you go too long in between meals, miss meals and increase your physical activity whilst taking Gliclazide. Always carry on your person something that is fast acting like - Glucose Tablets, Jelly Babies, bottle of fresh orange juice to treat the onset of a hypo and then eat something or bring forward your next meal. Do you test blood sugars regularly throughout the day?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi folks,

Since I was diagnosed with T2 I have been on metformin (now slow release) but found I hardly ever made it below 10.

Seeing a different doctor, I have been given Gliclazide - which has definitely had a positive effect.

However, I had my first hypo on the first day I took it. (3.1) and since then I have had several occasions when my readings are low 4s.
I don't know if this is good - or normal - for some people, but does anyone else take this medication and how do you manage it?

Thank you for your help!

Your dosage may be too high and if you are getting too many low readings, you need to speak to your GP.
Glicizide is a blood glucose lowering drug and over time your levels with good management will drop towards normal levels. You don't want to keep having hypos.
Your doctor will advise you.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
I took glic for about a year but it was stopped because I kept going too low and feel really yuck.

I now take met and sitagliptin with LCHF diet and it seems to have balanced out. I certainly feel better.

Reactions: 4 people

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and thanks for replying.
Yes, since taking Gliclazide I've been testing several times a day. I've been told I must test before going to bed and have a snack if I'm 4point anything. I've also been told to test before I drive.
I no longer miss meals, since being diagnosed, but perhaps am not regular enough in when my meals are... I've got my jelly babies! I think it's possibly linked to exercise, as you suggest... not swimming or running or anything like that just ordinary things like gardening, walking round town and so on ... Thank you

Reactions: 2 people

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your dosage may be too high and if you are getting too many low readings, you need to speak to your GP.
Glicizide is a blood glucose lowering drug and over time your levels with good management will drop towards normal levels. You don't want to keep having hypos.
Your doctor will advise you.
Thanks Nosher ... love the name too!

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I took glic for about a year but it was stopped because I kept going too low and feel really yuck.

I now take met and sitagliptin with LCHF diet and it seems to have balanced out. I certainly feel better.
Thank you ... quite a steep learning curve!