Injecting in public

Angelc

Hi all

I'm new to injecting, and now on Lantus once a day (which I do at noon) and Apidra with meals. Not been well for a couple of months while this was all developing and have been off work, am due to go back soon.

I would like to ask peoples experiences of injecting at work, in restaurants etc. I'm disabled and can't always get to a private place, also my partner says not to worry about it, if I need to inject just go ahead and do it and if anyone has a problem with it, it is their problem!

What do other people do about this? I don't want to inject in the toilet! I really don't! Certainly at work I have no intention of going to hide away and would prefer just to inject at my desk and carry on with work or lunch, after all, it only takes a few seconds to do, and going to find an empty disabled loo can take half an hour in my office! But is it an antisocial thing to do? I don't know any other diabetics to ask, and have never seen anyone else injecting, which makes me think they all do it in private.

I know it may all seem a daft question to experienced injectors, but it's bothering me quite a lot!

Shazza

My Son injected in public for the 1st time yesterday, we went to Wimpy for lunch he injected at the table all done in a few secs, dont see why anyone should hide away. I agree with your partner :D

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i inject wherever i am, noone sees much as i inject in my tummy, i really wouldnt worry as most people dont notice :)

Angelc

Thank you!

The discussions have boosted my confidence loads that I can just get on with injecting and never mind everyone else :) There's enough to worry about getting right without concerning myself about other people reactions.

And my gut reaction that the loo isn't the place to inject seem to be fairly universal :)

ajsmum

Hi Angelc, Aj - who is now 18, used to be very self conscious about injecting in public. He has now learnt that no one takes any notice at all. Most people (even those sitting at the same table) would never know what you were doing. It isnt any thing to be ashamed or concerned about. Believe me, you are more worried about what you are doing than those around you. ...... If ever any one did comment and suggest you nip off to the loo be sure to put them firmly in their place!!!! Good luck xxx :D

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Angelc,
I can remember feeling worried and self-conscious about injecting, but now I do it where and when I have to. I wouldn't inject in a public toilet unless it was for a better lit area.
I use a vial and syringes, and inject myself in restaurants, pubs, the street, wherever I have to do it. People are too busy to notice what others are doing. If people stare, I don't notice, and couldn't care less anyway these days.
I find the worse thing is checking blood sugar in company, especially if I'm hypo, and can't put coherent words together to explain what I'm doing and why-while shovelling a dairy milk in my gob.
You'll soon get used to it and feel less self-conscious, it's something you have to do, don't feel like you have to hide in the loo to do it. :)
Jus

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
I think most of the peeps on here have felt 'odd' about injecting in public at one point or another and not many people like drawing attention to themselves but I say, go for it! I never used to, but now I always inject in my tum at the dinner table if out for a meal or even stood up in Boots if I am grabbing a sandwich on a rushed lunch break! My need to inject before I eat is more important than anyone else's issues with needles (unfortunately!) although I would turn away if I knew that someone was squeamish about needles (we all have our demons!) 8)

Shazza

This is fast turning into my pet hate esp after my Son was told by a school nurse to inject in a toilet :evil: I have said to family members who dont see a problem in that arghhhhhhhhh. As said before plenty of people take tablets in public places, diabetics are not junkies they should not need to hide away, and on my many visits to local chemists latley I have noticed methodone is given in private seperate room .. not the loo :twisted: :twisted:

heypapatooni

I've been type 1 for 31 years, and still find it difficult at times! I too have ended up in the loo! :oops:
I find it worst amongst aquaintences, I don't really want to draw attention to myself, and have found over the years that even close friends moaned if i injected infront of them, though usually I had actually done it before they realised! It was just the idea in their heads!
I HATE having to explain it all over and over, it makes me feel like a hypocondriact!
I even had my best friend complain that she found one of ny syringes in her band van after i had travelled in it-though i was always very careful with my kit, she said if they had got caught at customs and searched for drugs there would have been trouble! I felt terrible! It never crossed her mind that maybe it WASN'T mine! Luckliy we are no longer friends, as she seemed to think that if I ate less I did'nt need the injections anyway! No matter how many times I explained to her! She seemed to be absolutely DISGUSTED every time I injected! we wen't on holiday several times together so it was inevitable! When I got pen needles she was over the moon! but still made comment! I'm back on syringes twice a day! haha!
Oh! by the way, i was told donkeys years ago by a doctor that I could inject straight thru my clothes! I do do this in public! I don't think anyone would appreiciate a obese woman dropping her trousers at the lunch table! :lol:

harrymon

Hi, ive been a type 1 diabetic since i was 4. im now 13. I have had some bad experiences injecting and doing blood tests. But ive learned to not care what other people think, its not our fault that were diabetic and they are jut going to have to deal with it. :wink: :wink: :wink:

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
well said,
theres a saying u should remember in life "those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind" :D god i sound like me mum :lol: tis true though

Jenni_1984

Hi there,

I was very self conscious when I was first diagnosed about injecting in public. For those of us that were diagnosed before insulin pens were the 'norm' I think this was due to the fact I had to use a syringe and insulin vial, so you did attract some puzzled looks. I suppose if you are newly diagnosed you are still getting used to things so might feel more self conscious that people are watching and thinking "that's not how it's done".

If I need to inject then I just go ahead and do it. I've often found that I can be sitting right next to someone and they won't even have realised that I've injected myself. It's definitely nothing to be ashamed of, but then you could maybe compare this (very loosely) to breast feeding in public - some people wouldn't bat an eyelid whereas some people might feel uncomfortable or be offended.

If you need to have an injection then you need to have it - so piddle to what other people think!

Jenni

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
that is so true about pens vs syringes, I never injected in public with a syringe, all the air bubbles and bottles etc, made it all look very complicated (even though it wasn't!) and drew far too much attention than I wanted as a teenager! Pens are ideal for discretion and also, convenient as you can pop the needle on before you leave the house to make it even quicker :D

barkbark

Up until the day I got a pump I used my pen's wherever I wanted - if someone had an issue with it, their issue was not as large as the one I would have by not doing the injection. As for going to public toilets or the like - no chance, why risk the potentially dirty environment.

bazippy

I go for the inject in public no problem, as a teen i actually wanted someone to mention it to me so i could tell them how stupid they were etcetc but **** the world cause no one ever noticed. i use syringes and always have even these dont get noticed. only one person ever had a problem and that was someone at work who was scared to death of needles, we worked out a system and everything was fine from then on. dont hide,dont worry and be happy.

multitasker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I understand your reluctance,but in forty odd years nobody has every approached me,mostly people do not notice.They are to busy with their problems.
Enjoy the food,do the injection at the table. :evil:

Angelc

Well the confidence rubbed off enough for me to inject in a restaurant at lunchtime.

I was a bit put off when my friend chose an exposed table right in the middle of the restaurant rather than a booth. Apart from her having a nosey, which she would anyway, and being surprised the needle was going in my tummy and not my arm, no one else noticed, or if they did they didn't say anything about it, it was quick and easy to do, and my dinner didn't go cold while I did both my Lantus and Apidra! :)

If it wasn't for you lot I don't think I would have had the courage though, so Thank You, and at least I have some ideas of what to say if I am challenged now! :)

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
cool! that weird feeling you get when doing it will fade with time, before long you'll be tutting at people who stare or even smiling at them, best way!! :lol: