Type 1 Diabetic Prime Minister

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I hope she is our next prime minister because it is about time we had another woman I do not know why if she is the next one that people think because she has diabetes herself she should do automatically do something for other diabetics. Exactly what do they think she should do

What difference does it make if we have a female PM? As for her doing anything for diabetics, that reminds me of those that, because he had a disabled child, thought David Cameron would be understanding of the plight of parent carers.

Judging by the outcome of that, I wouldn't hold out any expectation of Mrs May doing diddly squat.

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I hope she is our next prime minister because it is about time we had another woman I do not know why if she is the next one that people think because she has diabetes herself she should do automatically do something for other diabetics. Exactly what do they think she should do

If she does get in, then I sincerely hope Mrs May will do something to shake up and turn around our NHS system, as it needs all the help it can get, which will hopefully benefit people with all types of medical conditions.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
What difference does it make if we have a female PM? As for her doing anything for diabetics, that reminds me of those that, because he had a disabled child, thought David Cameron would be understanding of the plight of parent carers.

Judging by the outcome of that, I wouldn't hold out any expectation of Mrs May doing diddly squat.

When Margaret Thatcher was elected as the first female PM, it was an enormous boost for women to suceed at the top...................and look how that turned out !! :eek::wideyed:
As long as something gets done in a positive and proactive, productive way for this country and the people. I don't care what sex, race, colour or creed they are, but do a worthwhile job and do not let us down.
Speech over ;)

Reactions: 6 people

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I think if she does get in she will do all she can to play down the diabetes and not let it play much of a part in what defines her. The question about what would happen if she had a hypo during PMQ, or in public is an interesting one. I have always thought that would be the worst thing about being a T1 diabetic in the public eye. When I'm doing stuff at work that involves standing up in front of other people, such as training, I am always tempted to not inject as much that day as I'd be so embarrassed to have a hypo (and it has happened). Luckily I don't do training very often only a few times a year. But Theresa May will be 'on show' much of the time if she becomes PM.

If nothing else if T May does become PM it will be a good message to the newly diagnosed, particularly children, that diabetes doesn't stop you leading a full life.

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I do admire her attitude to her diabetes, which is: it's not an issue, end of story.

Quite agree, some would like to make her diabetes an issue to ruin her chances of getting the top spot.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Quite agree, some would like to make her diabetes an issue to ruin her chances of getting the top spot.

Sadly it would seem this is already the case as the Sunday Times quoted that a minister had raised questions about her health, saying the job could 'kill her'..

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If she does get in, then I sincerely hope Mrs May will do something to shake up and turn around our NHS system, as it needs all the help it can get, which will hopefully benefit people with all types of medical conditions.
Agreed any changes to the NHS should benefit everyone

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Picture a deadly outbreak, who do you think will benefit from healthcare the most? most probably the rich, the people who have power, government, security, and lastly everyone else. So really it doesn't matter if an MP or PM has what you and I have, and many other things, they will always be treated a higher being than all of us.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think if she does get in she will do all she can to play down the diabetes and not let it play much of a part in what defines her. The question about what would happen if she had a hypo during PMQ, or in public is an interesting one.
Which is exactly as it should be. There are loads of us in jobs where we have senior business roles and have to speak in public and meet other senior business people. Why would she be any different from us? Diabetes is just one aspect of us and we manage it appropriately in order to be successful at what we do.

Reactions: 4 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She is a very strong lady and I am sure if she gets in she will show everyone that having diabetes does not stop her doing her job.

GBS_82_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @slip,
There are several Type1s who have had trouble obtaining enough testing strips and others have had to advise them how to complain as their G.P.s do not seem to see the seriousness of their plight.

Interestingly a friend of mine told me that on average each GP surgery only has one type 1 on their books. Obviously I don't know if that's exactly true, but I can believe it. When I was first diagnosed the diabetics nurse there told me that she would primarily leave me in the care of the hospital because she only really understands type 2.

I guess what I'm saying is sometimes we have to be pushy with GPs and know exactly what we're entitled to. Not because they don't care or are ignorant but because they are SO busy and overwhelmed and it's hard for them to remember that our treatment can be quite different to our type 2 cousins.

GBS_82_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

For me, it's not that she will actually change things directly for diabetics - and agree it might be unprofessional if she did - but it sets a wonderful example. People will have to stop placing limits on us. I've already been able to say when asked whether my diabetes will affect my work, "well the home secretary seems to manage." Even better if she is PM.

Reactions: 4 people

Imperial

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well we shall soon see if her being Prime Minister will be of any benefit to Type 1 diabetics in the UK. Not personally hopeful that anything will really change though.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
She is a very strong lady and I am sure if she gets in she will show everyone that having diabetes does not stop her doing her job.

Totally agree. She will be very strong, focused, purposeful and, I hope seek to reach out to every part of society:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Interestingly a friend of mine told me that on average each GP surgery only has one type 1 on their books. Obviously I don't know if that's exactly true, but I can believe it. When I was first diagnosed the diabetics nurse there told me that she would primarily leave me in the care of the hospital because she only really understands type 2.

I guess what I'm saying is sometimes we have to be pushy with GPs and know exactly what we're entitled to. Not because they don't care or are ignorant but because they are SO busy and overwhelmed and it's hard for them to remember that our treatment can be quite different to our type 2 cousins.
I suspect they have a lot more T1s than they think if my surgery and circumstances are typical. Late onset T1 is so often mis-diagnosed as T2 due to ignorance and the diagnosis may never be changed.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I don't think TM becoming PM will change anything for us type 1's, more a case of business as usual - but for me it's fabulous to see a type 1 in the role, I believe she is a great role model particularly for our youngsters to see someone achieve this status, dream big !

Reactions: 2 people

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 diabetic or not. She's still a politician and still a politician for a party that completely destroyed my country's maritime and steel works industry.

I can almost see what you mean, but she'll privatise the NHS like the rest of her middle class party are itching for which will ultimately incurr higher costs for us - somewhere down the line.

Grant

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
Never heard of her ,who is she ?