type 1 diabetic

nodrog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is it possible for type 1 diabetic on insulin for 10 years to suddenly be taken off it and put on metformin
my readings were between 5-8 on insulin now up at 15-20 surely once on insulin always on ?

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
if you are type 1 then u cant live without insulin, do they suspect a wrong diagnosis? id definately be bugging them for answers

nodrog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
thx for reply it was my thought exactly as for reason the doctor just said cause i was controlling readings he felt he would try me on tablets instead as for wrong diagnosis not sure if that was his thinking , only seen this doctor the once

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i would definately see another dr if possible and plz keep an eye on your bloods, this could be life threatening if u are type 1 and ive never heard anything like it, see someone else asap

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Normally a T1 will have lost all beta cells (and therefore insulin production) after a year or so post-diagnosis. However there are some rare cases where several years on, a T1 still retains some active beta cells, so still produces a very small amount of insulin. Possibly enough to keep blood glucose levels in the 15-20 range? But very rare.

Bad idea being taken off insulin completely. Metformin in a T1 so affected isn't going to do very much, except perhaps increase the body's sensitivity to the insulin that IS being produced naturally and/or burn out those remaining beta cells more quickly? Change doctor quick or at least get a second opinion!