Sweating In The Sauna ???

TheStudioMK

OK I am a 42 year old Type 2 Diabetic... for a few years (since I was diagnosed about 5 years ago infact) I have been a bad diabetic, definetly eat all the wrong things, and no real form of exercise !

This year I am making a concerted effort to do things the right way... I have started a much healthier diet regime, and am also trainign at a local gym... After a 50 min cardio workout I like to go and chill in the Jacuzzi, Sauna and Steam Room...

I remember reading on a Sauna and Steam Room once that Diabetic people are not suppose to do either... can someone give me some information on this ? Are they good or bad ?

I am Hyper Glychemic (yes I know I spelt it wrong ! lol) so my sugar levels are usually very high... wondering if it's bad for one type of Diabetics and not others ???

Input please, thanks in advance :)

I use the sauna and steam room 4 times a week after an hours workout in the gym. No adverse effects although I now limit my time to 90 minutes for both sessions. Take a book or a newspaper (or a friend) as its a boring on your tod.

TracyA

Dislikes
Liars and ignorant people.
I also use both and have done for over a year.Knock on wood it hasnt made a difference to my B.S.

TheStudioMK

OK Here goes... Remember I am in England (Europe) so we have a different scale to you Americans (who even do Diabetis bigger lol !) Apparerlently a normal person would have a BS of around 5... When I was a bad diabetic (about 5 weeks ago) it was not unusual to have a fastign reading of around 15 give or take a couple points... and after my usual consumption it could be in the high 20's (very worrying !)

OK today my ingers feel like a pin cushion... I started by taking a fasting reading which was 9.9 (still a little high for my liking) I had my hearty lunch which was probably more than I should of had (still getting the diet right) 2 prawn and cucumber wholemeal rolls and a soup bumped my BS to 13.6 !

OK here's the interesting bit... I did a 50 minute cardio workout... when I took the reading after this workout my BS had plumeted to 5.7 which would seem a good thing no ? I then went into the Sauna/Jacuzzi/Steam Room... I was a little apprehensive as my BS was already pretty low...

I did my usual routine... 10-15 mins in Sauna, 10 mins Jacuzzi, 5 mins Steam Room... and 5 mins Sauna... I should point out the Jacuzzi/Hot Tub isnt overly hot at our club... however the Sauna and Steam Room are lol... I drank a lot of water prior to and during this time... When I came out I measured at 5.3, only a slight drop but still a drop...

By the time I got home, and had drunk another 500 ml of water I was back up to 5.9... I felt fine, no ill effects, dizzyness or sickness...

Part two of my experiment will take place tomorrow... I am not going to work out, but instead just have a Sauna/Jacuzzi/Steam Room session... Similar situation, 2 hours after my lunch... I will monitor the BS before I go in, and after I come out... To see if there is any massive drop...

Maybe today due to my already low BS from the workout maybe there was no way down for my BS in the Sauna (that may be a dumb statement appologies if it is lol) Will report back tomorrow on what my finding are from this situation...

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interesting experiment checking levels regularly is obviously the best thing to do.

There are a couple of warning that others might need to think about so I hope you don't mind if I out them in your thread (someone might search for saunas at some time in the future)

If you take insulin, the heat from the sauna can cause the insulin to be absorbed more rapidly causing very fast drops in levels. Make sure you check your bg before during and after.

If you wear a pump, don't wear it in the sauna. The heat can degrade the insulin. This applies also to the insulin in the cannula, it can crystalise and clog up, so its important to change the set afterwards.