low sugar levels

frontdoor_1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
why does my sugar levels drop when i exercise ,they drop to 4.8 I am type 2 and take all the proper medication

Munim786

Hi,

4.8 is not considered to be a low blood sugar for an adult. Non diabetic adults typically run around 4.6
You have a normal blood sugar post exercise.

For more information about type 2 diabetes I'd strongly recommend Dr Bernsteins Diabetes Solution book available on Amazon.

frontdoor_1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

4.8 is not considered to be a low blood sugar for an adult. Non diabetic adults typically run around 4.6
You have a normal blood sugar post exercise.

For more information about type 2 diabetes I'd strongly recommend Dr Bernsteins Diabetes Solution book available on Amazon.
ta,,its just that i feel as though i am going to faint,i take something with sugar in it and within 10 mins i feel ok

Munim786

Dr Bernstein says that long exposure to high blood and then normalising blood sugars can bring on the symptoms of hypoglycaemia.

If a diabetic typically had blood sugars around 10 and if you'd immediately brought their blood sugars to normal he'd or she would feel hypoglycaemia symptoms.

Having a blood sugar starting with a 4 is considered normal in the non diabetic population.

The best way around this is to set a target between your current average and 4.6. Hypoglycaemia symptoms should eventually disappear and only reappear during a genuine hypoglycaemic episode. You have remaing beta cells you should be encouraged to save what you have as glucose toxicity kills beta cells.

sud5nala

why does my sugar levels drop when i exercise ,they drop to 4.8 I am type 2 and take all the proper medication
Just to pass along what I saw on the Web by searching on hypoglycemic symptoms at normal blood sugar.

low blood pressure; low oxygen in the blood; low cortisol (this is a hormone); insulin resistance.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

What medication do you take @frontdoor_1 ?

What @Munim786 says about false hypos is all accurate, but setting targets should also take account of any hypoglycaemic risk that might arise from your medication.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm afraid I don't have any experience of those. Hopefully a type 2 will be along to offer some advice shortly.

I think both metformin and Glipaizide are designed to lower blood sugars and exercise will lower your blood sugar. I think that's my very superficial understanding of the why.

As to what to do about it, if anything, I defer to the advice of a type 2 with more understanding of your meds and targets. Sorry not to be of more help.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glipizide and pioglitazone are both designed to lower blood sugar, metformin tends more to turbo boost the insulin already in your body.

The thing with exercise is that it helps temporarily to make better use of the glucose in your blood as the cells become temporarily more sensitive to the insulin in your body. As has already been stated 4.6 is not classed as a hypo, however it could be that the combination of your meds and the exercise is making the glucose in your blood drop too quickly this causing the hypo symptoms. Do you use any kind of sports drinks while exercising? If not using something like that may help to stabilise your sugars.

frontdoor_1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glipizide and pioglitazone are both designed to lower blood sugar, metformin tends more to turbo boost the insulin already in your body.

The thing with exercise is that it helps temporarily to make better use of the glucose in your blood as the cells become temporarily more sensitive to the insulin in your body. As has already been stated 4.6 is not classed as a hypo, however it could be that the combination of your meds and the exercise is making the glucose in your blood drop too quickly this causing the hypo symptoms. Do you use any kind of sports drinks while exercising? If not using something like that may help to stabilise your sugars.
thanks for that ,,,i will try a sports drink next time ,,,it does make sense

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you are having drops in blood glucose levels the last thing you need is a sugar boost from a sports drink, as they will boost your levels very quickly, Your bloods will fluctuate up and down because of the meds, to avoid this have something low carb with some full fat to raise your bloods slowly.
Only in emergencies should you drink a sports drink.
The meds you are on do lower bloods, if they persist to go to below normal levels 4-6 mmols, then you need to speak to your GP to reduce the dosage.
Always test if you feel low ish!