Type 2 High blood sugar 25to28

Sally49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rap music and tomato ketchup
Hi please can someone tell how they feel when there blood sugar levels are 25 or 28 thanks

As you'll know this feels ropey. Mine (very) occasionally goes to 26 and once went to 30. I get blurred vision, joint pain, misery mood and just want to lie down and sleep, thirsty too. All in all, quite horrid, although not as bad in my view as a hypo. I'm insulin dependent Type 2 so ram that needle in when it gets that bad, although I can feel it when it's going up. I start to feel unwell at 18. What happened to make it rocket like that?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Not that I suggest you do this, there is legal precedent to claim insanity or automatism as a defence, from activities which occurred during hyperglycaemia. Ive always found that an interesting fact if nothing else.

Could you provide a link to this info? I have to give that one a read!

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been given to understand that a high blood sugar gives a false reading on a breathalyzer anyway. So I am not sure if that would excuse the OPs refusal. But I can't prove that idea. I just heard it/read it somewhere a long time ago.

At 25 I feel tired, anxious and can't concentrate if that's any use. I also drove fairly erratically at that level (the one time it ever happened when I was driving).

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been given to understand that a high blood sugar gives a false reading on a breathalyzer anyway. So I am not sure if that would excuse the OPs refusal. But I can't prove that idea. I just heard it/read it somewhere a long time ago.

At 25 I feel tired, anxious and can't concentrate if that's any use. I also drove fairly erratically at that level (the one time it ever happened when I was driving).

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

I read that too, but I also read that that was 'old' breath tests so it could be that they've changed. I don't know. But I can't see that would be an excuse. If the OP had had a positive breath test, he could have claimed it was hyperglycaemia and then they'd probably have done additional tests.

The issue here seems to be that the OP refused to,even attempt the test. Do correct me if I'm wrong, OP.

Citizen_Pain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'll see if I can find it on a website. I remember it from texts when I was studying A level Law and had just been confirmed with type 1[/QUOT

There's loads if you google M'Naghten rules and insanity. It's insanity in the strict legal sense rather than medical.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll state right up front I have no personal experience of this thing, but I wouldn't have thought any legal action would be taken, purely on a breath test. Should an individual fail a breath test, don't they verify the situation by testing venous blood, which also quantifies the degree of alcohol the individual (who has just failed the breath test) has in their blood.

Reactions: 2 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
If we look at the previous posts by the OP, it really is an odd situation, I've never heard of anyone being breathalysed in their home before. He said he felt ill, and he has obviously been reported to the police by someone - I'm assuming they took his licence plate number. I'm not sure what the OP wants from the forum to be honest - but it doesn't seem to be advice on getting his bg levels down.

Reactions: 2 people

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll state right up front I have no personal experience of this thing, but I wouldn't have thought any legal action would be taken, purely on a breath test. Should an individual fail a breath test, don't they verify the situation by testing venous blood, which also quantifies the degree of alcohol the individual (who has just failed the breath test) has in their blood.

I think that sounds right, but failing to do the breathalyser without a reasonable excuse when required to do so by a police officer is in itself a criminal offence contrary to s.6(4) of the Road Traffic Act 1988. It sounds like OP refused to do the breathalyser and was fined (possibly under the RTA 1988, but not entirely sure).

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could you provide a link to this info? I have to give that one a read!

It's the case of R v Hennessey [1989] 1 WLR 287.

Hennessy did NOT find that hyperglycaemia could constitute a defence of non-insane automatism but it could constitute a defence of insanity (the distinction being that non-insane automatism has to come from something external -such as too much insulin, so something done when hypo due to too much insulin taken could be non-insane automatism, see R v Quick [1973] 3 WLR 26 - while insanity has to came from something internal and hyperglycaemia is internal). Even though the case found that if you want to argue hyper as a defence you would have to plead insanity, the defendant in that case actually entered a guilty plea so it was not considered whether hyper was a successful insanity defence.

I've had a look for all cases citing Hennessy and I can't see any cases where hyperglycaemia has been a successful insanity defence, or in fact any cases where it has actually been argued as a defence.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Why were the police at the OP address? Was his driving erratic that he got reported?
Why would police just turn up at someones address?

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Hi Billmoira. My sugars have been over 20/25 for a couple of weeks.
I spoke to my nurse yesterday and my insulin has been increased.
My symptoms are extremely tired.
Dry mouth. Weeing more often mainly at night. Blurred vision and drowsy after eating.
I feel very weak most of the time.
I have other medical troubles like arthritis in hips back and hands.
Carole tunnel and severe nerve damage in hands and wrists.
I don't know what's happening to me really!!
Nurse just said increase insulin and ring in a few days.
Hope you feel better soon.
Luv Maddy x

QUOTE="billmoira, post: 1193916, member: 133945"]Hi please can someone tell how they feel when there blood sugar levels are 25 or 28 thanks[/QUOTE]
Hi please can someone tell how they feel when there blood sugar levels are 25 or 28 thanks
Thanks for your reply the paramedics told me they used there own meter

Gviper1997

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
mine was 25.5 today but only because i hadn't taken any insulin in 17 days, just had my metphormin which i take 2000 units per day. Mainly for me I just want to sleep and get tired, when low and my low is under 5.0 i feel shaky, tingling throughout my body as it falls more below that. I usually catch i usually catch before it falls below 4.0 and bring it back up to 6.5-7. Insulin dosage is 3x per day at 28 units and Lantus is at night fasting while sleeping basically at 70 units.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hello and welcome to the forums
mine was 25.5 today but only because i hadn't taken any insulin in 17 days, just had my metphormin which i take 2000 units per day. Mainly for me I just want to sleep and get tired, when low and my low is under 5.0 i feel shaky, tingling throughout my body as it falls more below that. I usually catch i usually catch before it falls below 4.0 and bring it back up to 6.5-7. Insulin dosage is 3x per day at 28 units and Lantus is at night fasting while sleeping basically at 70 units.
That sounds very dangerous to me. Is there a reason why you aren't taking your insulin?
Are you able to get some medical help for your current state?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Gviper1997 , why haven't you been taking your insulin?
Such high numbers and no insulin can lead to DKA, which is an emergency that needs to be addressed immediately: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetic-ketoacidosis/

From your profile I see you're only 21 years old, is this correct?
Have you been properly tested to make sure you're not a T1?
Being so young, and on a typical T1 basal and bolus insulin regime already makes me wonder.

Good luck, and let us know how you are!

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Hi Bilmoira
I get high blood sugars. I’ve had my insulin and pills increased.
When I’ve had readings of 22- 28 in the past I’ve just felt really tired and can sleep all day and night I just don’t notice the days go by.
You must get medical help. Your diabetic nurse should help you.
Good luck Maddy

Reactions: Antje77

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I’ve had blood sugars in the 20s and 30’s and felt no different.