Type 2 Newbie to diabetes

just_undiscovered_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds, bright lights, shopping, arrogance, reality TV shows..
It means you are controlling your blood sugar very well.Are you taking any blood sugar lowering medications or injections?
Thanks. I've just started taking SR metformin 1 daily (500mg)and I'm suppose to increase weekly until I get up to 4 daily will dicuss with GP next week depending on results of my HBA1C test.

Reactions: 2 people

just_undiscovered_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
So a bit of an update. Got my HBA1C results and I've gone from diagnosis last November 9.8 to current 7.2, so I seem to be heading in the right direction considering I've only started testing and eating LCHF from beginning of January. Luckily for me, I seem to be able to tolerate bread, most fruit, oats, brown rice etc..so I just control the portion I'm having of it all. I now eat the burgen soya and linseed bread, as I've discovered I only rise 0.5 compared to if I eat wholemeal and rise 1.1.. think I've also discovered I can't have the 70% lindt dark chocolate, I went from a 5.0 to 9.0 mind you, it was just after having dinner of couscous and prawns. I've had this dinner several times and been OK, so it must be the chocolate? Haven't tested it again though. I've also been wondering if I am really low carb high fat I think I'm more moderate carb and fat.. most low carbers seem to be on 30g or less I am on 80g carb and 67g fat.. my weight loss has come to a complete standstill and hasn't budged in 4 weeks OK I've been exercising less, as my arthritis is really bad at present so can't do much. Oh well onward and upward.. thanks for listening, now onto some more games

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
@just_undiscovered_
Well done on the HbA1c result definitely heading in the right direction.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi just_discovered_ well done keep up the good work.:)

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So a bit of an update. Got my HBA1C results and I've gone from diagnosis last November 9.8 to current 7.2, so I seem to be heading in the right direction considering I've only started testing and eating LCHF from beginning of January. Luckily for me, I seem to be able to tolerate bread, most fruit, oats, brown rice etc..so I just control the portion I'm having of it all. I now eat the burgen soya and linseed bread, as I've discovered I only rise 0.5 compared to if I eat wholemeal and rise 1.1.. think I've also discovered I can't have the 70% lindt dark chocolate, I went from a 5.0 to 9.0 mind you, it was just after having dinner of couscous and prawns. I've had this dinner several times and been OK, so it must be the chocolate? Haven't tested it again though. I've also been wondering if I am really low carb high fat I think I'm more moderate carb and fat.. most low carbers seem to be on 30g or less I am on 80g carb and 70g fat.. my weight loss has come to a complete standstill and hasn't budged in 4 weeks OK I've been exercising less, as my arthritis is really bad at present so can't do much. Oh well onward and upward.. thanks for listening, now onto some more games

Hi @just_undiscovered_
That's a very good improvement. Well done. I used a meter to see what foods I could/couldn't eat and hopefully that will work for you. We are all different so as you are already finding a meter helps. I didn't go very low carb but ate to my meter. You may find you can manage the Lindt 90% chocolate, maybe try just 1 square. I can't manage brown rice, shows how different we are. Do ask questions and people will try and help.

just_undiscovered_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well I sort of fell off the wagon a bit, I blame bloody Michael Bolton.. lol. Had a lovely weekend all booked in Birmingham (I live in London) to see him live in concert and then 1/2 hr before showtime he cancels due to illness I was gutted, so I went on a bit of an eating spree, takeaway curry, pastry, cakes, the lot.. Birmingham is great for shopping though. Lol.. anyway that was about 3 weeks ago and I just can't seem to get back on track. Am really annoyed with myself, as I was doing so well. I haven't even been online here and I haven't been testing either think I just got fed up with the constant testing and not being able to eat what I like! Yes, I hear you I'm type 2 and I need to take control. It's almost as if I've got a "death" wish! OK rant over, I'm back online and testing again trying to take control. Have a great bank holiday weekend everyone

just_undiscovered_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Since my last post around early May, I haven't been online here that much and not been eating great either. I was snacking far too much and not testing much. I definitely wasn't eating as much and as badly as when I was first diagnosed back in November but I certainly haven't been eating the way I should be. I had my 3 monthly HbA1c result last month and was pleasantly surprised with a result of 6.8% down from 7.2% (on no medication), considering how badly I was eating. At least I am heading in the right direction (be it very slowly) My GP was very pleased and said I should continue whatever I am doing as its working (but he wants me to take just 1 x 500SR Metformin tablet daily). However, my cholesterol result has gone up again from 4.6 to 5.4 (triglycerides is 1.2/LDL is 3.9) :eek: not sure what the HDL was, but GP said the ratio between my LDL and HDL wasn't good. Am a bit concerned, so will try cutting down on single cream a bit (I wasn't having that much anyway) and less eggs perhaps (again I was probably having about 4 weekly). I have also been eating the good FATS like avocado, olives, almonds, walnuts etc all in moderation, so am not sure why my cholesterol is playing up. Even though I was eating badly, I stayed away from things like pasta, potatoes, etc.. I guess I was just having bigger portions of other foods. Anyway, I am now back on track and joined a gym a couple of weeks ago, so hopefully with some exercise and continuous testing I can finally get where I need to be. Blood sugars have been great these past few weeks since going to the gym and walking more, however I can't seem to shift any weight have been the same weight for months now. I got my first ever 4.8 reading yesterday and was so excited :nailbiting:

Reactions: 4 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@just_undiscovered_ - Hi:) have you decided when you are going to take the 1 of Metformin SR? Because I understand it can remain in your system for up to 12 hours, and maybe take it at the time when you eat more food.

just_undiscovered_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @liam1955 I normally take it when having breakfast, but I tend to eat more food at dinner time so perhaps I might take it then. Thanks

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@just_undiscovered_ - Hi :). Metformin takes time to build up in your system and you may begin to to see a slight effect. But, it can take up to 6 to 8 weeks to reach it 's full effect - so please be patient. It may also help Type 2 Diabetic's lose weight as it lowers appetite.

just_undiscovered_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks @liam1955. I was also wondering if just taking the one tablet of 500 SR Metformin will do much. I think I read somewhere that you need about 1,500 for it to be effective (might have read incorrectly) but GP has advised just taking the one tablet, so will see where I am in 6-8 weeks time and with my next HbA1c around Sept..

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You are Most welcome @just_undiscovered_ I take 2000mg daily but it is just the 'ordinary' Metformin and each tablet only last up to 6 hours in the body. (I also take Insulin daily) If you eat more in the Evening then I would consider taking your tablet then? Metformin lowers the amount of sugar created by the Liver, and it decreases the amount of sugar absorbed by the intestines. If you have any questions? Just post on the threads, there's lots of friendly, helpful people on this forum.:)
P.S. Did you find all them A to Z Games?:)

just_undiscovered_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@liam1955 ok will certainly keep asking questions. I tend to stick with the music A-Z game keeps me highly entertained:)