New insulin pump lifes better alraedy

annieb2410

I'v been diabetic for 26years and have just ditched 3-4 injections a day for an insulin pump :D (medtronic minimed). Its only been 2 weeks but im feeling the benifits already my energy levels are rising and my complications due to badly managed diabetes (through no fault but my own with rebelious teenage years the rave scene and smoking) seem to be improving slightly.
Is anyone else on this pump? Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks a millions :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi annie,

Can't offer any tips or advice as I am on the injections still. Nice to see that you are feeling so much better since going on the pump, there has been a lot of members on the forum who have switched to the pump lately, all with positive results.

Regards

Nigel

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Annie

Good news eh?! It really does make a difference. Have a look through the forum section dedicated to Insulin Pumps, you should find most of what you're looking for. If not, just ask, I also have a Medtronic pump along with plenty of others.

MarkP

I have a medtronic pump. The piece of advice that most readily springs to mind is to watch out for door handles. Nothing worse than getting half way through a doorway only to be pulled back by the tube caught on the handle!

AngelaAllison

Hi,

We have an 8 year old daughter with Type 1 and managed to get a pump!!! It is the best thing that has ever happened for our family 7 in total. Two of the girls also have coeliacs disease.
It has taken a good 6 months to understand it fully. We bought mini weighing scales to take out with us. Using the care link helps you understand your levels over time better.We use the capture event for highs and lows in between readings. If you use the bayer meter that does it all. (Claudia doesn't like it). I agree beware of catching the pump. However Claudia never even thinks about it now, she was scared at first, but she is very clever at tooking all wires away. You may find you will need to use square/dual bolus when eating high carb food especially at night.
If you like the odd treat Mark's and Spencers are great as they tell you how many carbs are in each sweet. For anyone out there with coeliacs there range is great and no more expensive than the other supermarkets, they will also print you a list of gluten free food or any other food information you require.
Wish us look as we are asking for a glucose senor!!

Has anyone got one?
Angela

kegstore

Dislikes
AngelaAllison said:

Has anyone got one?
Angela - yes, I've posted a fair amount about it in the Insulin Pump section of the forum, so have a trawl there or ask away! Jo

diabeticmum

I would really like a pump, I have been type 1 for 14 years. I am due to go to the doctors for my annual review soon, and I am planning on bringing the subject up. I have heard so many good things about pumps, and how they can change your life for the better. Any advice on how to acquire one would be much appreciated.

sugar2

I think it depends on where in the country you are. I am getting a pump in a few weeks.
I think that I "qualified"because I have a lot of hypos. Other people have got the because of continued High HbA1c's despite their best efforts (ie, not because they are skipping injections and eating and drinking unwisely). I think also they like to get children started with them as sooon as possible. That may just be round here though...as you have to leap through several hoops.
One of teh hoops is a couple of interviews with the dietician and nurse etc. Carb counting seems to be a pre requist as well, although I have been doing that for some time now

Someone refered me to (I think the NICE) directive, which seemed to suggest that they shouldn't refuse you if you ask..but I was lucky, and saw a new Dr who told me I should be on it, before I asked...it was best ever appointment!

Good luck!

annieb2410

kegstore said:
AngelaAllison said:

Has anyone got one?
Angela - yes, I've posted a fair amount about it in the Insulin Pump section of the forum, so have a trawl there or ask away! Jo

[quote annieb ][/ kegstore quote]
I'v just got the pump but my local nhs trust won't fund me the glucose sensor as it is to expensive!!! (think they said £47-00 per week)

kegstore

Dislikes
annieb2410 said:
I'v just got the pump but my local nhs trust won't fund me the glucose sensor as it is to expensive!!! (think they said £47-00 per week)
That sounds about right Annie. Each sensor retails at £37.50 and - depending on who you listen to - lasts for between 3 and 9 days. I get nearer to 9 out of mine. The transmitter (which attaches to the sensor) is something crazy like £900, or so I've heard...