Status
Not open for further replies.

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!

I needed a medicine ASAP and I went to my GP and they told me that I should fill a form and I should wait 48h before I can get a prescription (not repeat prescription).

They also had no emergency appointments.

Can you tell me please a GP that accepts emergency appointments everyday up to let's say 21:00?

I went to the hospital and they told me they can't prescribe me because it's not a repeat prescription.

This is extremely disappointing. I cannot receive the treatment I need, AT THE TIME I need it. If I am not well NOW, I need treatment NOW, not the other day or after 48h.

Any solution to this horrendous health system?

thanks!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I needed a medicine ASAP and I went to my GP and they told me that I should fill a form and I should wait 48h before I can get a prescription (not repeat prescription).
Never had this happen to me, I've always been given the prescription straight away by my GP.

Can you tell me please a GP that accepts emergency appointments everyday up to let's say 21:00?

I don't know of any.
This is extremely disappointing. I cannot receive the treatment I need, AT THE TIME I need it. If I am not well NOW, I need treatment NOW, not the other day or after 48h.

Oh dear. I had this happen to me once too when the pharmacy was closed due to snow.
Any solution to this horrendous health system?
Yes I agree that going private or emigrating would solve all your prescription problems. The good thing about the NHS is that it's free.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I saw a pharmacologist posting earlier this evening. I will bump your thread for you :angelic:

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
zand you are saying that you go ANY time of the day to your GP and he gives you IMMEDIATELY a prescription??? where do you live???

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
zand you are saying that you go ANY time of the day to your GP and he gives you IMMEDIATELY a prescription??? where do you live???
No, I'm saying that when I have an appointment (which is always between 8.30 am and 6.00 pm) then the GP gives me a prescription if I need one.

Why do you need to fill out a form? Aren't you registered with that practice yet?

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am talking about situations where you need immediately medicine, not that you program and appointment 10 days before!

Edited by a mod

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
zand you are a troll!

I am talking about situations where you need immediately medicine, not that you program and appointment 10 days before!

Greener, you don't have to say what your medical problem is, but is it something that a pharmacist could help you with - that is, could you buy the meds without a prescription?

What was the form the surgery made you fill in?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my experience, there is very little that must be given now. If something is that serious, or that urgent, then I would suggest A&E is the place for you.

Is your life in danger by not having medication right now?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
.. Or call 111 and speak to a highly trained adviser, supported by healthcare professionals, on the non emergency help line..?

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think I can buy them without prescription. They gave me a form to fill my name and what medicine I need and they said it will be processed within 48h!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What medicine do you need?
What is wrong with you?

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In my experience, there is very little that must be given now. If something is that serious, or that urgent, then I would suggest A&E is the place for you.

Is your life in danger by not having medication right now?

You only take medicines when your life is in danger? What kind of logic is this?
Why would anyone in 2016 would wait to suffer for 48h for a bureaucratic idiocy?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You only take medicines when your life is in danger? What kind of logic is this?
Why would anyone in 2016 would wait to suffer for 48h for a bureaucratic idiocy?

It used to take 4 working days..! My pharmacy has done it in 36 hours.. :cool:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If medicine was required NOW (as Greener suggests), then I'd say A&E, although 111 could be helpful. Thanks Jaylee.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't think I can buy them without prescription. They gave me a form to fill my name and what medicine I need and they said it will be processed within 48h!

Worth asking at a pharmacy just in case.

My surgery has telephone appointments where you can speak to a doctor. I had a prescription left out for me by doing that. I then collected it that afternoon and got the meds.

I guess it depends whether they think it's urgent or not maybe.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I prefer not to take medication if I can avoid it, and thus far, I have managed not to take anything long term.

Clearly, I have had antibiotics, or pain relief as required, but much as it might irritate us to wait when we feel under par, I stand by my stance that there is little that can't wait. We might prefer not to wait, but I am talking about a clinical high risk of mortality, or permanent damage.

If you have a condition, requiring medication very quickly, like allergies, requiring an epi-pen or antibiotics for certain conditions, then a prescription held at the patient's home is usually the agreed solution.

When I want to see a Doctor, I am not necessarily the epitome of patience, but this is what we work with. Our system is free at the point of delivery. If you know of another country giving immediate access to a qualified Doc, well into the evening, without payment, directly from your own pocket, I would be interested to learn where that might be. As I have posted to you on other threads you have started, private GPs are available in the UK, but they don't come cheaply, and if you use them, you will be expected to pay the full, item cost, of any prescription they issue. Sometimes that could be less than the NHS single charge, but more often than not, will be more costly.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If medicine was required NOW (as Greener suggests), then I'd say A&E, although 111 could be helpful. Thanks Jaylee.

No problem.
A point to note. 111 will dispatch an ambulance if the enquiry is deemed an emergency..

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
so the resume is that in UK in 2016, you have to die to receive treatment in less than 48h
so if you have a panic attack, you wait 48h to get medication
you sit and enjoy the whole panic attack because UK protocols do not consider that life-threatening and after 48h you are given medication to treat the panic attack you have 48h before
very nice

Status
Not open for further replies.