peanut butter

libbyM

I just fancied some peanut butter and bought a jar from the supermarket but when I scrutinised the contents I see it contains more sugar than I feel is acceptable as a type 1. I know it has ahigh calorific values but wondered if I blended raw ones converting to paste whether it wouldn't hurt now and again.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just fancied some peanut butter and bought a jar from the supermarket but when I scrutinised the contents I see it contains more sugar than I feel is acceptable as a type 1. I know it has ahigh calorific values but wondered if I blended raw ones converting to paste whether it wouldn't hurt now and again.
What peanut butter did you buy? Usually its not high in sugar. I have three differnet jars in my cupboard and they are around 10g per 100g

S

Shar67

Sunpat do a sugar free one as do meridian their's is just peanuts, sunpat add salt

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
You can make your own by crushing peanuts with sea salt in a mortar and pestle. The oil comes out from the nuts which you can just stir through the paste until you get the texture that you want.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I like the Whole Earth peanut butter. It has no added sugar, and has 7.4g of carbohydrate per 100g. It does have salt added though if that's a problem for you, 1.1g of sea salt per 100g. The only other ingredient apart from roasted peanuts and salt is sustainable palm oil, which some people have an ethical objection to.

Reactions: 4 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just eat less of it until you find a no sugar added. Peanuts alone are fairly high in carbs and spike some of us

Reactions: 2 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the US, it's possible to buy creamy or crunchy peanut butter with only salt added that you stir - (to recombine the peanuts and it's oil) - then refrigerate. Peanuts are a legume, not a nut, so they can create unwanted spikes in blood glucose. Two tablespoons contains 6 g carbohydrate and 1 g sugar (which is from the peanuts, not added).

Here's the peanut butter I use - (top left)... http://www.adamspeanutbutter.com/product They even sell a "Natural Peanut Butter Mixer" for it... https://onlinestore.smucker.com/display_product.cfm?prod_id=385&cat_id=40&aid=WLSW07020 :)

Reactions: 3 people

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I love peanut butter and in Canada we have a brand of President Choice peanut butter that has no sugar, salt or preservative.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
I like peanut butter, but not with jello.
The blue **** that infest my garden seem to dispose of a jar every week so they are quite happy. (Well not the jar, just the
contents.)
What do you apply the peanut butter to could be relevent. Or do you eat it by the spoonful ?o_O

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I put one tablespoon on a slice of whole grain toast and sprinkle with sunflower seeds, no jelly.

PosyPip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I did some research in Waitrose recently- the lowest carb one was Duchy Originals peanut butter - unfortunately not the cheapest, but only 5.8g carb per 100g. They vary vastly!

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, against my better judgment, I bought a jar of peanut butter today, the kind made with peanuts and salt that you stir and refrigerate.

Any grains or legumes spike my blood glucose levels, so for me a tablespoon of peanut butter is a nice treat.

But not tonight, I had a large portion of green beans topped with butter along with my grass fed beef, onion, and peppers, which will spike my blood glucose level. Perhaps I'll have some peanut butter tomorrow with a lower carb meal. I can wait. :)

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
I will give the Duchy one a try when I see it. Up to now the only sugar free one I've found is the Whole Earth which I've been using for years now.

Back in the fifties we used to get peanut butter (KP I think) and that had to have a teaspoon of salt added and then really good stir to mix it up before using. Funny that we could have that then but now it's all got additives. The march of Sugar ...

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will give the Duchy one a try when I see it. Up to now the only sugar free one I've found is the Whole Earth which I've been using for years now.

Yep whole earth is pretty good but I bought this last time

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011BUIP6I/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 nothing added, a bit higher in carbs than some but I tend to just have a small amount in a smoothie ...

But often just go to the local independent health food shop where they do a similar thing (organic nothing added)

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Organic is the way to go if you can find it in the health food section. Beware of those with hydrogenated oil added. When you are too busy to prepare breakfast and in a hurry, peanut butter on toast in the best way to go.