Just hold on there, fat is now bad again....

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No mention of dropping the carbs proportionally to the rise in fat, and as already mentioned, they lumped transfats in with non-transfats. Clearly the designers of that study, and the reporters, don't understand the relationship between carbs, fats and health.

High carbs and fats together are the problem, not HCLF or LCHF

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Full ahead on the Mediterranean diet, low carb, healthy unsaturated fats.

I've yet to see anyone claim that's bad for you.

lindisfel

Expert
Zoe Harcombe has a discussion on this groups findings. The newspaper may have got things not quite correct. The Harvard group didn't like the BMJ article.D.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Zoe Harcombe has a discussion on this groups findings. The newspaper may have got things not quite correct. The Harvard group didn't like the BMJ article.D.

Which BMJ article?

lindisfel

Expert
Which BMJ article?
Just google Harvard chan bmj It was in 13th April this year for Harvard I think bmj article was also in April google Ramsden Bmj April . I can't seem to pick up the links on my cheap phone.D.

Last edited by a moderator:

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wish journalists could get their offing grammar right on something like this:

"More importantly, they say, they found that death rates dropped by between 11% and 19% among people who substituted saturated fats such as butter, lard and red meat for unsaturated fats such as olive oil, canola oil and soybean oil."

If you substitute x for y, it means you used to use y, but now you use x. This sentence is a*se over t*t. It says exactly the opposite of what the research concluded.

lindisfel

Expert
It reads OK to me, Ruth. Substitution is a double action

"More importantly, they say, they found that death rates dropped by between 11% and 19% among people who substituted saturated fats such as butter, lard and red meat for unsaturated fats such as olive oil, canola oil and soybean oil."

If you substitute x for y, it means you used to use y, but now you use x. This sentence is a*se over t*t. It says exactly the opposite of what the research concluded.[/QUOTE

Last edited by a moderator:

cjj

it's all rubbish. fat is good for you. all low fat produce like margarine tubs, yogurts, etc... etc... and all the other low fat faddy **** is all ******** and the majority of people in this country are brainwashed by the media, and corporate manipulation. wake up, start making your own choices, and stop relying on the neighbour or the tv diet guru to tell you how you should live an eat. most health problems today, are related to all the snacky **** most people eat. eating healthy, is not avoiding fat.

Reactions: 4 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it's all rubbish. fat is good for you. all low fat produce like margarine tubs, yogurts, etc... etc... and all the other low fat faddy **** is all ******** and the majority of people in this country are brainwashed by the media, and corporate manipulation. wake up, start making your own choices, and stop relying on the neighbour or the tv diet guru to tell you how you should live an eat. most health problems today, are related to all the snacky **** most people eat. eating healthy, is not avoiding fat.

Nope.
People on here are intelligent.
Some fats are good, some fat aren't.

Reactions: 6 people

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, @SunnyExpat natural fats are good for you, Avacado, Olive oil, butter, lard, dripping, fat in fish and meat, un-natural manufactured fats are bad for you, vegetable oil, corn oil, margarine, shortening etc etc.

And did you know that the 'Mediterranean diet' was actually invented by a Greek doctor to promote one of the country's most important cash crops, and preserve the way of life of traditional villagers? Which part of the Med are they referring to, do you think?

Not that I'm disagreeing with you on the wonderful properties of Olive oil, we buy at least 20 litres a year from our desert Olive Press, best quality, thick, gloopy and flavoursome, never been anywhere near a factory, for I'm a 'sunny ex pat' too!

People should really stop worrying about all this industry sponsored observational studies, they are not worth the paper they are printed on!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree, @SunnyExpat natural fats are good for you, Avacado, Olive oil, butter, lard, dripping, fat in fish and meat, un-natural manufactured fats are bad for you, vegetable oil, corn oil, margarine, shortening etc etc.

And did you know that the 'Mediterranean diet' was actually invented by a Greek doctor to promote one of the country's most important cash crops, and preserve the way of life of traditional villagers? Which part of the Med are they referring to, do you think?

Not that I'm disagreeing with you on the wonderful properties of Olive oil, we buy at least 20 litres a year from our desert Olive Press, best quality, thick, gloopy and flavoursome, never been anywhere near a factory, for I'm a 'sunny ex pat' too!

People should really stop worrying about all this industry sponsored observational studies, they are not worth the paper they are printed on!

No, it wasn't.
Urban legend I'm afraid, but if you repeat it often enough........

Think about it..
Why should a doctor, who's trying to promote big pharma, be plugging for a healthy diet, for local agriculture?
Too many contradictions, so it's got to be a myth by the big dairy and meat farmers.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

If you substitute x for y, it means you used to use y, but now you use x. This sentence is a*se over t*t. It says exactly the opposite of what the research concluded.
I prefer Base over Apex, or as my son used to say Ipesway over