Diet controlled type2 Now have background Retinopathy

Richard.l

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sugar
I have been type 2 diabetic for 3 years fully diet controlled from start never had meds, went down the low calorie route lost 4 stone etc. Recently Switched this up to hitting the gym full on. No problems with diabetes cholesterol blood pressure. But I have have
just had my 3rd retina scan with results coming with some background retinothopy (changes to blood vessels at back of the eye). I do find this massively alarming given my lifestyle, I know my diabetes will not reverse regardless off the actions I take and ive tried them all but it seems either my job (permanent nightshift) or genetics are tipping me somehow, I control my sugars with precision but feel like ive just been sucker-punched.

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
That really sucks .... what did the GP say about it all?

Any actions required?

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
T

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
The same thing has happened to me I have been a diabetic for 13yrs very disappointed.

Dark Horse

Retinopathy is often said to reflect historical diabetic control. Unfortunately, people may have Type 2 diabetes for some years before being diagnosed and the hyperglycaemia at that time may pre-dispose the retina to retinopathy later. Losing weight and being diet-controlled reduces the risk of progression. Some background retinopathy changes persist for a few years even if no new changes occur. It's not unknown for people who have good diabetic control to get a "normal" result after a few years of "background retinopathy". If the retinopathy does progress (which it can do, unfortunately, even in people with good control) attending eye screening gives the best chance of it being picked up and treated before there is any reduction in vision.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Richard.l

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sugar
Thanks for the replies guys, magsiesss not seen a doctor since diagnosis, diet controlled diabetes is not the norm at my surgery only go for 6 monthly bloods. Dark horse that is in the top probabilities thanks, will check that out noblehead thanks. Kentish maid I know exactly how you feel. Thanks

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please don't panic. I have been type 2 for 17 years, since age 34. Retinopathy screens fine until background changes 4 years ago, which have persisted. However, it can take 12-15 years of poor control before this progresses. With good, low-carb control, I would say there is a very good chance that this will just stay as background changes or even reverse, so keep the faith.

Also, I have read somewhere that it is quite common for retinopathy to worsen temporarily when blood sugars stabilise - I don't know what the mechanism was.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
When diagnosed I already had PN, background retinopathy , and stage two kidney damage now that I have "reversed" my diabetes I am hoping that these complications will reverse also but I am under no illusions that that is guaranteed and that I may have to live with the effects diabetes has had on me over the last few years the only way forward is to maintain low blood sugar and weight indefinitely by diet alone now that I have been taken of metformin.. So I think like me you are going to have to tightly control your blood sugar and hopefully the next scan will show improvement. Also don't forget that back ground retinopathy can occur in people who are not diabetic also the small changes that have been noted may in fact have some other cause this would need to be investigated.

It may be time to consult your doctor over the concerns you now have.

Richard.l

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sugar
Hi JohnEGreen thanks for the reply, as you mentioned tightly controlling blood sugar levels this is the part of the background retinopathy which hit me the hardest, as I am in total control of my sugar levels night and day, I have tested and tri tested foods with a meter and over different time periods and during my nightshift, i`ve had more holes in my fingers than a pin cushion. As you know it takes a cast iron resolve to switch lifestyle, not diet but change habits forever, my nurse even questioned if I was diabetic last year, so I am finding this a hard pill to swallow but will see as already mentioned what happens on next scan, Well done on the reversal wish my mum would listen she has ended up on insulin and with complications.

Reactions: 2 people

cjj

I have been type 2 diabetic for 3 years fully diet controlled from start never had meds, went down the low calorie route lost 4 stone etc. Recently Switched this up to hitting the gym full on. No problems with diabetes cholesterol blood pressure. But I have have
just had my 3rd retina scan with results coming with some background retinothopy (changes to blood vessels at back of the eye). I do find this massively alarming given my lifestyle, I know my diabetes will not reverse regardless off the actions I take and ive tried them all but it seems either my job (permanent nightshift) or genetics are tipping me somehow, I control my sugars with precision but feel like ive just been sucker-punched.
It don't matter how well controled you are. I've known insulin diabetics type 1, who have lived till they were 85 having had type 1 for 60 plus yrs and were unfit, smoked, drink, poor diet, you name it... yet they never had eye problems, amputations, or any of the usual diabetic complications associated to poor control of long term diabetes. So it don't matter how fit and precise you are with yourself, if it's going to happen it'll happen.

Tron2112

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So it don't matter how fit and precise you are with yourself, if it's going to happen it'll happen.

We come here for advice, encouragement and mainly support from others who've found themselves in he same boat. Sharing a fatalist view really is not very helpful when someone is feeling low.

To Richard.I, I had the same sucker punch. Diagnosed early 2013, obsessive testing and low carbing resulted in A1cs between 40 and 44 for the first two years. Then last year - background retinopathy. Awful feeling. I had two aunties who went blind. A cousin who's going blind. I'd like to say I made more intensive effort but actually I just kept on doing what I had been. If anything I was actually testing far less than ever.

This year my retinopathy showed no background changes. All clear. Just got my latest A1c and it is 39 which is considered "normal." Keep up your efforts. It is always worth it.

I find it interesting that Jasperville said "it is quite common for retinopathy to worsen temporarily when blood sugars stabilise" - maybe my blip (and therefore yours) is because of that?

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

MargJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed type 2 last year and told my left eye showed signs of retinopathy a month later. I too am diet controlled and have to work hard to keep my levels under control. When I had another scan a few months ago it came back clear. They didn't explain how this had improved but it was a big relief. You might find something similar in your case. The damage may be very slight and improve. I spoke to my optician after it had been discovered and he was very helpful. He said even if it deteriorated, the treatments have improved greatly and he was sure my vision would be fine. I see him 6 months after my scan so in effect I have 2 checks in a year. Something you could perhaps consider?

MrsHutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A few years ago my annual screening showed quite a degree of damage, so was sent to the consultant. They did more screenings and tests and it came back fine!!! No explanation and it has been fine since!

Tes78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have my first eye screen next month, I was diagnosed in April.
You must feel quite sad with all you have done to not get a normal result.
Keep the faith as others have said it has showen damage one scan and fine the next.
Good luck.

Caesar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately, retinopathy is not only a consequence of bad BG, which indeed makes it worse once microaneurysms or dotted haemorrhage are in place. A main player is oxygen saturation and the way oxygen is supplied through our microcirculation. Since a while, I have been using a sleep mask that emits light overnight to reduce the retinal need of oxygen. I don’t have retinopathy but the science behind the mask makes sense to me so I’m using it for prevention purposes and I’ve read and heard of people who had gone through laser and injections and then stopped or massively improved because of the mask. If nothing else this has definitely helped me to remove that fear you mention and we all face at every screening appointment. Only downside is the £250 every 12 weeks when my eyes get checked and my mask replaced. Not sure when or if really the NHS will decide to supply this mask, but I thought it was worth sharing. These are other threads of the forum discussing about it: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/green-light-for-retinopathy-treatment.67768/
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/noctura-sleep-mask-for-diabetic-retinopathy.75538/