JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I had an appointment with my GP this afternoon he said that as far as he is concerned I am effectively no longer diabetic. And he has taken me off Metformin .He asked me how I had done it and I replied by self testing getting tight control of my BG levels losing six stones in weight and by going LCHF. He said well done and if I stay this way diabetes should no longer be a problem for me.

Though I still do have the complications developed while I was undiagnosed to contend with I am over the moon.

Though he did point out that though the kidney damage I have is stage two as it has been going on for some time he does consider it to be chronic and will need monitoring. The retinopathy I hope will reverse along with my diabetes given time and by maintaining BG control.

He also took me of one of my other meds Furosemide so all in all not a bad day.

Reactions: 12 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Well done John, after all that you've been through you have come out on top. Many, many congratulations. You're an inspiration to us all

Reactions: 6 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Really good to read this John. Very pleased for you and wish you well with cracking the retinopathy and kidneys.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent news. And glad your recent op didnt set things back.
Well done!
Losing 6 stone is a massive achievement. :)
Normalising bg even more so :D

Reactions: 3 people

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Go show the kids what good looks like, you are awesome

Reactions: 2 people

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
Wow - what wonderful news for you .... you really must be flying high, and probably will be all weekend

Congrats x

Reactions: 5 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@13lizanne Thanks that's nice of you to say. What I would like is one day for every T2 here to be able to say I took on Diabetes and won I still don't know if I have truly won the war but have definitely won this battle.

@Ross.Walker @magsiesss Thanks for your coments.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well done @JohnEGreen .
I've just been put back on metformin to reduce my insulin injections. I'd love to be in your shoes.
How did you lose your weight?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Basically the weight loss was achieved in my case by going LCHF coupled with control of calories and a lot of determination to be honest a lot of people around me thought I was crazy or obsessed to cut my calorific intake as drastically as I did but some times a little obsession goes a long way :)

Thank you to every one who has commented and thank you to all the people here who have guided me and encouraged me If I had not found this site I don't know what I would have done.

lindisfel

Expert
Congratulations John, excellent news.Derek

I had an appointment with my GP this afternoon he said that as far as he is concerned I am effectively no longer diabetic. And he has taken me off Metformin .He asked me how I had done it and I replied by self testing getting tight control of my BG levels losing six stones in weight and by going LCHF. He said well done and if I stay this way diabetes should no longer be a problem for me.

Though I still do have the complications developed while I was undiagnosed to contend with I am over the moon.

Though he did point out that though the kidney damage I have is stage two as it has been going on for some time he does consider it to be chronic and will need monitoring. The retinopathy I hope will reverse along with my diabetes given time and by maintaining BG control.

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
Just wanted to say congratulations and thank you for putting the information on the site, I am working on the losing weight, albeit slowly it is going down and I am pleased but still have a way to go, blood glucose coming down as well and still working on the LCHF eating but it is working for me, so to hear that you have managed to do it is really wonderful to know.

Reactions: 7 people

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Who says we cannot reverse diabetes? You have proven it can be done but with lots of hard work, determination and never giving up. Congratulations ! So very happy for you. Well done.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@srobertson06 and @Keesha thank you for your comments I was a bit doubtful about making the claim that I have reversed my diabetes but am easier with it now I still believe it is more remission than cure but if it is maintained that does not really matter. And yes it is possible to reverse your diabetes if you work at it and are lucky sadly what works for some may not work for all but you have to try, so don't let any body tell you you can't do it that is for you to determine and no one else. I wish you luck in your endeavour and wish you every success.

Regards John

Clase

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV

Clase

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV
Hello all. I haven't managed to reverse my diabetes but after fifteen years on it I have come off gliclazide from three per day and lost a stone and a half in six months twenty three years after diagnosis. It's the first time I've dropped tablets rather than increased them. Thank you all for the support and good advice.

Emmentaal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Congratulations JohnE.
I am not far behind you in the weight loss stakes and my doctor has suggested I my come off Metformin soon.
Just a general query though, If I do come off all diabetic medication does anyone know if I would still have to declare it for purposes of travel insurance?