Which infusion set medtronic 640g

Alison_Murray

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am starting to use my first pump on tuesday. I am looking for advice on infusion sets from users of the minimed 640g. Which infusion set should I ask for? How long should the tubing be. I am quite active as I jog and throw balls for my crazy staffi dog. I do sweat around my waist when exercising. I also roll alot when sleeping. I have also had an allegic reaction to the freestyle libre sensor and adhesive. All advice is welcome. Any tips for changing to this pump would be great too.
Thanks Alison

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I am starting to use my first pump on tuesday. I am looking for advice on infusion sets from users of the minimed 640g. Which infusion set should I ask for? How long should the tubing be. I am quite active as I jog and throw balls for my crazy staffi dog. I do sweat around my waist when exercising. I also roll alot when sleeping. I have also had an allegic reaction to the freestyle libre sensor and adhesive. All advice is welcome. Any tips for changing to this pump would be great too.
Thanks Alison

Hi Alison - great news ;)

I personally use the 640g and have the mio infusion sets, I am on the smallest size which is 50cms and keep the pump in a pouch which sits around my waist, I picked my pouch up off ebay and is comfortable, has a press stud to stop it falling out and works fine, I exercise on road bike and classes and don't have a problem with it. You might want to try Cavlon spray if you suffer a reaction from the adhesive, which coats the skin with a fine film before attaching it, you can always try different infusion sets if the mio doesn't suit you - good luck ;)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
On the infusion sets, the best advice I can give you @Alison_Murray is to try them all and see which you like best. I personally use 6mm Mios with 80cm tubes. But I'm 6'5" and weigh 95kg.

If you are concerned about exercise, these are designed to hold a pump steady. I've got one that I've used when running and it's surprisingly good: https://spibelt.com/shop/medical/diabetic-spibelt/

I too had a reaction to the Libre sensor but have had no reactions to the adhesive on the 640G sets (or the ones I was using before for Animas that are made by the same manufacturer) so you may not find it to be an issue.

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the 6mm cannula with 60cm tubing which is long enough for me to be able put the pump anywhere, it usually lives in my pocket or bra. I use Sure T sets which are the steel cannulas and alternate it with Quick-sets for when I'm working so I don't have to do a cannula change late at night or early morning due to shifts. The Sure Ts are more reliable imo but have to be changed every 2 days, I've never had a failure from them. I have had a few failures from the teflon cannulas but the convenience of changing them every 3 days wins out!

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use mios with the middle sized tubing (sorry not sure how long it is and can't find on pack) - this is long enough for it to sit in a sock in the centre of my bra and I can pull it out from the neck of my top. I just leave it there when playing badminton and at the gym and it is fine it feels quite safe and has never dislodged. I just shove in my pyjama bottoms when I go to bed - still in the sock, I just bought some kids socks from asda with no heels so I have plenty of them. My DSN taught me to always fill the reservoir for the next set change and I keep this in my emergency bag so I always have a filled reservoir.

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
I have the MiniMed 640 G, I have only just joined the Pumping Insulin League but I tried all 3 of the Paradigm Quicksets during the trial period on Saline and decided the 60cm job the one for me. I don't wear mine in a Bra as I prefer not to wear one due to being male and not that much over weight LOL.

I find the 60cm is perfect for me as I wear my pump around my neck suspended from my Medic Alert Dog Tag and this length is long enough for me to be able to pull the pump out from the top of my shirt and be able to read the pump.

As far as sleeping is concerned I just clip the pump to the waist band of my underwear on the opposite side to which I lay and the excess tubing coiled as the tubing wishes to be and tucked into the waist band also. So far no problems have cropped up as of yet.

Regards

Martin

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use sure T sets and love them but as mentioned above they need to be changed every 2 days rather than most of the others which are every 3 days so some people don't like the inconvenience of that. But asking for a few different ones to try out is the best thing to do when first starting with a pump.

I have a body band that I put my pump into which you can buy on line, I also wear my pump tucked in the side of my bra or in a pocket depending what I'm wearing.

In bed I just lay my pump beside me and and it follows me around when I move in the night :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Alison_Murray

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks everyone. I had a successful first night. I laid it near me as my dog was not in the bed. I have asked to try other infusion sets so far I am trying mio and mio 30. I have found the mio 30 difficult as I was all fingers and thumbs...Does anyone use skin tac and other wipes. If so where do you buy them from?

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I've used a whole series of wipes and sprays. If you search for old threads of mine you should find them. Best tip I got was that all the companies will give you free trial packs. In the end I found it was better without anything underneath but I haven't had reactions - it was more about stickiness of some of the sets. I've tried all the medtronic ones now except the mio30 and the silhouette with the inserter (still working up the courage for that). Different ones suit different sites. It's trial and error to a certain extent. Good luck!