Type 2 Protein powders.

Jay309

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, Jay here. Just started on Victoza and was wondering if any knows of any protein powders or supplements that are ok to use with diabetes type 2?. Thanks in advance. Jay

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
interesting and valuable question. Seems like on the LCHF diet you could build your own with something like whey powder, appropriate kind of fat and water and just drink it
According to Jason Fung, whey powder is suspected of raising insulin resistance in T2D, and should be avoided. I have not seen this corroborated elsewhere, but the manager of Holladn & Barrett, that well known emporium also sugested I avoid the protein bars as well as the whey powder when I enquired as to how to gain weight as a diabetic.

Edit to add:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25475435
Please note that this report is still being peer reviewed, and may change before final release. Some comments have been raised and registered, but I do not have access rights to read them.

Last edited by a moderator:

fene48

Hi all, Jay here. Just started on Victoza and was wondering if any knows of any protein powders or supplements that are ok to use with diabetes type 2?. Thanks in advance. Jay

Hi Jay
When I was on the Newcastle Diet I lost a bit too much lean muscle tissue. I have been using the Atkins Advantage Chocolate Shake Mix. One serve is 136 cals for 18 grams of protein. It has a total of 3g carbs, of which 1 g is sugar. I have not experienced any spikes and was approved by my GP.
Regards
Fene48

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.

I use NuZest's 1x25g of Clean Lean Protein, which is 100% European pea protein.

Mix with water, give it a shake, use just before training when I'm not fasting.

Very low carbs at 0.88g per daily portion.

Energy 89.9 kCal

Fat 0.36g

Protein 20.8g

Contains all 9 essential Amino Acids

4 nice flavours.

Available usually on deals via Amazon.

Doesn't touch my BG levels

Hope that helps:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me, the biggest factors would be the source of the protein, whey? soy? pea? hemp?
and the amount of rubbish, sweeteners? flavourings?

I wouldn't buy a big container till I knew how I got on with it.

Reactions: 2 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Very nice I listened right through but a little off topic maybe.:)

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I use NuZest's 1x25g of Clean Lean Protein, which is 100% European pea protein.

Mix with water, give it a shake, use just before training when I'm not fasting.

Very low carbs at 0.88g per daily portion.

Energy 89.9 kCal

Fat 0.36g

Protein 20.8g

Contains all 9 essential Amino Acids

4 nice flavours.

Available usually on deals via Amazon.

Doesn't touch my BG levels

Hope that helps:)

Kevin, what sort of benefits have you seen from using this product? I'm looking for something to tackle muscle wasting in my legs.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Kevin, what sort of benefits have you seen from using this product? I'm looking for something to tackle muscle wasting in my legs.

I train with weights in a gym 4 hours a week and so this pea protein helps me train and build muscle simply to keep me strong (not body building:)).

So it's general purpose is to help build muscle.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You kind has salt. What's its cost?

I wonder what would happen if we pulse dried peas in a blender or food processor, could we get powder to make smoothies? Then it could be mixed with coconut or avocado oil or a number of rather tasty things.

Very tiny amount and excellent for me as I leak it on LCHF so need to supplement sodium daily.

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
I use unflavoured soy protein isolate, it's low in carbs and as a vegetarian it suits my needs also works ok in food as well, it helps that I can add a scoop in to veggie soup mixes, that I make in my nutibullet.

Reactions: carina62

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quite a lot of options really, a fair few low carb options out there, personally I use myprotein diet whey simply because its good value, it does have a few carbs but I tend to use only half a serving post workout when a few carbs are not necessarily a bad thing, and it does not spike me, I add a bit of fruit , Greek yogurt, peanut butter and almond/soy milk etc.......

http://www.myprotein.com/home.dept

But as said their are lots of zero/low carbs protein shakes out there at different price ranges maxi do a low one at home bargains/B and M.

Another I have tried recently is making my own whey, I have been making my own Kefir for a while.......basically leaving Kefir grains in milk for 24 hours which converts the sugar and makes a fermented probiotic drink, very easy to do, but if you leave it for longer it turns into Curds and whey, the curds make a nice soft cheese which leave you the whey to use as you wish... :)

Or you could go old school and GOMAD (Gallon of Milk a Day) :happy: but use almond/soy/hemp milk instead...

PS. IMO Avoid Holland and Barrett, Overpriced and the quality can be questionable , far better options online with Amazon probably the easiest for most people and they often have great deals .

This may be of interest , I actually stopped using supplements for a year or so after watching this, but they are useful convenience wise ....

Reactions: 2 people

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
really interesting video. Thanks

Now, how to get that balance in drinking enough but not too much water and will I ever find a really comfortable, breathable pair of trainers?

Cant help with the trainers :( but was told years ago to aim for 1 clear pee a day a day and you about right water wise ..... all clear is too much water and none clear is too little water, seems a fair rule of thumb....:)

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
I have an early precurser to nutribullet I've hardly used but could learn. What do you use yours for?
I use it for blending soups, sauces curries, and not for getting smoothies...YouTube is awash with recipes.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
File_000.jpeg
Another I have tried recently is making my own whey, I have been making my own Kefir for a while.......basically leaving Kefir grains in milk for 24 hours which converts the sugar and makes a fermented probiotic drink, very easy to do, but if you leave it for longer it turns into Curds and whey, the curds make a nice soft cheese which leave you the whey to use as you wish...
I do this too. Normally I make a drink out of it, but sometimes I do a longer second ferment to make cheese, like I did today.

I find the whey really easy to drink - it doesn't slosh around in my tummy like plain water - it feels really hydrating, if that makes sense. Have just got in from a very hot day at work (an unnaturally dry environment) and have drunk the whey from my 2-pint kefir cheese batch. I feel so much better!

See above for what the cheese, and half the whey produced, looked like.

X-entricity

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I gave been using a DIET protein (whey) powder for 2 weeks as a dieting exercise. Pre dinner readings now down to 3.3 and other times of the day also way down. (no pun intended). It certainly is working for me.

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
I'm using Almased as a meal replacement shake to help me to lose weight. This particular one is diabetic friendly, if it's going to help me lose weight then I'll carry on with it. I've also used Atkins chocolate shake which I quite liked too. When I've lost a substantial amount of weight I'll then introduce food and go low carb with it.