What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: Sukrin roll, sugar-free peanut butter, sugar-free lemon curd
L: Hummus with raw cauliflower
D: Curried pork with steamed cauliflower; cherries
Hi
What is a sukrin roll? Also where did you get your sugar free peanut butter and what brand is it please x

Reactions: 4 people

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make 16 rolls from this mix, which I buy online from Amazon....
tn1_69273.jpg

206 cals and 3.6g carbs per roll.
And you can find the scone recipe here:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-scones.102783/
Oo thanks! X

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: tea
L: LC blueberry scone thing, with extra thick cream
D: Bratwurst, cauli cheese and sugarsnaps

Oh, and two cups of Chicory coffee substitute - am testing out coffee alternatives atm. Most of them are quite carby and made from roasted grains, so it is balancing carbs v caffeine. Chicory isn't a grain, and is half the price of coffee, and has no discernible impact on my bg. So this one is looking good so far.

zzcanasta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Monday, 4 July:
B: Turkish yoghurt with assorted nuts and berries; tea
L: Leftover roast chicken, sml piece of cheddar; apple; 1 pc dark chocolate; coffee
D: Restaurant meal with No 2 son (Mrs C and No 1 son are in Italy), so...no starter; 8oz sirloin steak (no sauces), mixed veg (broccoli, zucchini, carrots, onions, a mushroom, some salad, piccolo tomatoes; bottle sparkling water; caffe macchiato. Also had one small calamari fritto and a spoonful of mango ice-cream offered by smaller Canasta.

Weighed myself this morning to find I was under 9st 2lbs for the first time since I was 15 yrs old. Then I read in the papers this morning that an Italian research institute - IRCCS Istituto Neurologico Mediterraneo Neuromed - had published research (conducted solely in Italy) claiming that eating pasta promotes weight loss. Anybody know where they got their funding from?
Also, given the fact that the entire sample was made up of Italians, I'm not sure how it would be possible to extract one component from all the other factors that make up the Italian lifestyle/diet - such as the fact that snacking seems completely alien to most Italians, they drink far less alcohol in general and are not great guzzlers of sugary drinks or eaters of biscuits. Mrs C lived in Italy for 7-8 years so has a certain authority on these subjects.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: tea
L: LC blueberry scone thing, with extra thick cream
D: Bratwurst, cauli cheese and sugarsnaps

Oh, and two cups of Chicory coffee substitute - am testing out coffee alternatives atm. Most of them are quite carby and made from roasted grains, so it is balancing carbs v caffeine. Chicory isn't a grain, and is half the price of coffee, and has no discernible impact on my bg. So this one is looking good so far.
But what does the chicory coffee taste like? Sounds horrible quite frankly!:eek:

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 1/2 Lidl roll, lemon curd
L: tuna mayo, lettuce, coleslaw
D: prawns & chorizo in tomato pesto, spinach, courgetti; lemon & strawberry ricotta cake, cream

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But what does the chicory coffee taste like? Sounds horrible quite frankly!:eek:

Ha ha! Not horrible at all! But it is mild. Think of a really bland instant, like Maxwell House. Remember that?

I LOVE coffee. Good coffee. Posh coffee. But sadly i am having to finally face the fact it doesn't like me. :( Have ordered 3 different coffee subs (cos when did I EVER do anything in moderation?) and will sample them, in rotation, til I find a keeper. Interestingly, they range from much cheaper than coffee (chicory) to even more expensive than single estate beans (teeccino)

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha ha! Not horrible at all! But it is mild. Think of a really bland instant, like Maxwell House. Remember that?

I LOVE coffee. Good coffee. Posh coffee. But sadly i am having to finally face the fact it doesn't like me. :( Have ordered 3 different coffee subs (cos when did I EVER do anything in moderation?) and will sample them, in rotation, til I find a keeper. Interestingly, they range from much cheaper than coffee (chicory) to even more expensive than single estate beans (teeccino)
Sadly am old enough to remember Maxwell House!:arghh: I am enjoying peppermint tea with fresh leaves from the garden.

just_undiscovered_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds, bright lights, shopping, arrogance, reality TV shows..
B: 40g porridge oats, agave nectar, with 50ml lactose free whole milk and coffee with milk
L: ate out today had plaice fish with pasta couscous and panna cotta for dessert (oh almost forgot a small glass of pinot grigio)
(I started off at 6.2 and 2 hrs later 6.8) was well pleased
D: 100g rye bread with ham and humous and a cup of tea with milk
S: 1 flat peach (only just discovered this kind of peach so delicious)
I have noticed that since joining the gym (a few weeks ago) and working up a sweat my BS's have been really good during the day mostly in the 5's and the past 3 weeks I haven't gone above 7.5 after 2hrs.. I am really fortunate that I seem to tolerate most fruit, oats, bread etc..I have even had some milk chocolate this week and didn't go high, but I continue always to test, test, test...:nailbiting:

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Nothing other than daily supplement (Good Green Stuff) and drinks. Day 7 of my 7 day fast.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing but lemsip and apple cider vinegar (fasting and ill!!) x

----------
Borderline T2, serial yo-yo dieter but firmly sticking to LCHF with IF

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 40g porridge oats, agave nectar, with 50ml lactose free whole milk and coffee with milk
L: ate out today had plaice fish with pasta couscous and panna cotta for dessert (oh almost forgot a small glass of pinot grigio)
(I started off at 6.2 and 2 hrs later 6.8) was well pleased
D: 100g rye bread with ham and humous and a cup of tea with milk
S: 1 flat peach (only just discovered this kind of peach so delicious)
I have noticed that since joining the gym (a few weeks ago) and working up a sweat my BS's have been really good during the day mostly in the 5's and the past 3 weeks I haven't gone above 7.5 after 2hrs.. I am really fortunate that I seem to tolerate most fruit, oats, bread etc..I have even had some milk chocolate this week and didn't go high, but I continue always to test, test, test...:nailbiting:

Try testing after an hour to see the full peak from those carbs. I know I can't take them but didn't really discover that until I tested after one hour with porridge. Oh my days! I spike more with porridge than a cupcake . Hopefully you'll be ok x

----------

Craigh270779

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get the peanut butter from Tesco - it's made by Meridian and they do both a crunchy and a smooth one.
:)

i got a peanut butter today from sainsburys which has very little in the way of sugar in it, tastes lovely as well and you can get it in crunchy and smooth, high protein one which is on offer at 2 quid a jar just now

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
L - High protein Lidle roll with bacon and egg,
S- almond muffin
D - broccoli and Stilton soup, flax crackers with peanut butter, mixed berries with double cream
Cup of bourneville coco with cream and xylitol

Bg before bed 6.8

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
B: omelette with spring onion, mushroom, spinach & cheese
L: cheese and ham salad
D: leeks, mushroom & stilton

lacerta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: eggs and ham
L: blackcurrants, currants, cheese
D: barbecued pork, tomato and cucamber

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another 2 pieces of celebration cake today :( I'll be high tomorrow but plan to find the local pool to swim at 7am to get back on track. Lunch out today was huge scallops followed by dressed crab - so generally good.

It's hard when you are in a family group to keep control but I don't think I did too bad - even if I registered 8.5 on the Richter scale this morning :mad:

just_undiscovered_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds, bright lights, shopping, arrogance, reality TV shows..
Try testing after an hour to see the full peak from those carbs. I know I can't take them but didn't really discover that until I tested after one hour with porridge. Oh my days! I spike more with porridge than a cupcake . Hopefully you'll be ok x

----------

I have only been testing 2 hrs after eating as advised (see article below).. I am probably one of those people, who wouldn't be able to interpret the numbers correctly (still learning 6 months later) :woot:
So for instance, breakfast for me today was:
2 boiled eggs/1 slice bacon/2 slices Vogel wholemeal and oat bread/coffee and milk

BS at start was 5.6, 1 hr later it was 8.2, 2 hrs later 6.2... So the question is, is that figure of 8.2 at 1hr good/bad?? :nailbiting: Normally, I would only look at and see the 2hr figure and think that's pretty ok. actually looking at the 1hr figure, am also thinking that's not bad either.. maybe I'm fooling myself here:wideyed: Hopefully, I am ok well I want to be x

For people who choose to monitor after meals, the clock for when to check starts counting down at the start of the meal. Some people with diabetes monitor one hour after the start of meals in an effort to find their peak blood sugar level, then work to prevent spikes above certain levels. However, the experts say that’s not a good idea and that there isn’t any clinical, peer-reviewed data to support monitoring at one hour. The after-meal blood sugar goals for adults published by major diabetes organizations currently specify levels two hours after the start of meals.

“Looking at normal physiology, blood sugar peaks after you eat,” Dr. Ganda says. “For a person who doesn’t have diabetes, the peak occurs at 45 minutes to an hour after the meal. With diabetes, you peak a little later, and two hours is the standardized amount of time for blood sugar to come back down. There’s no need to check at one hour, because it is hard to interpret the numbers. It may be the peak at one hour, or the peak may not have occurred yet. Every person is different.”

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That 8 is ok as an hour spike so carry on. My porridge gave me 11.5 so clearly a lot more of an effect on me.

I think testing at an hour is important - especially for low carbing as the whole point is to avoid needing insulin to bring down the bg. If one is insulin resistant, then it's using up even more insulin as well as causing weight gain unnecessarily.

My FBG would also be affected by so much carbs, then in turn my hba1c. For me, it's all about minimising insulin production so my bg stays as low as possible and I do not gain weight (insulin is a fat building hormone).

Had I not tested at hourly intervals, I'd still be eating meals that were unhealthy for me and beating myself up for not being able to lower my bg.

I have very little faith in the medical profession who continue to recommend low fat diets with high carbohydrates for people who are carb sensitive. I cannot fathom why people would not adjust their diet to treat the cause of their diabetes (food) and choose to take pills that treat the symptom instead so their condition becomes worse over time.

But that's just my opinion x

----------