No More Metformin for me.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations JohnE.
I am not far behind you in the weight loss stakes and my doctor has suggested I my come off Metformin soon.
Just a general query though, If I do come off all diabetic medication does anyone know if I would still have to declare it for purposes of travel insurance?
Make a general enquiry via a broker. I think you have to be declared RESOLVED by GP to be sure, otherwise you are technically on their books as diabetic. it is not just diabetes that would need cover, but also possibility of complications occurring while abroad.

Teresa9584

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Vigorous exercise and chillies!
Congratulations to JohnEGreen and to all who have managed to reduce or come completely off of their meds. I've just come off of Gliclazide which has had very little impact on my BS but have started on a tablet called Empagliflozin. My BS has dropped by around a third and I have lost approx 4 lbs in 1 week. Here's hoping this is the breakthrough I've been looking for. I'm a menopausal Type 2 diabetic with allergy issues which makes life a bit difficult at times. I'm working on lowering my carb intake but this seems to give me really bad light headedness and a 'fuggy' feeling in my head so have to take it slowly. Perseverance, this site and a good supportive family really help.

Keep up the good fight all! :0)

Reactions: 2 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations to JohnEGreen and to all who have managed to reduce or come completely off of their meds. I've just come off of Gliclazide which has had very little impact on my BS but have started on a tablet called Empagliflozin. My BS has dropped by around a third and I have lost approx 4 lbs in 1 week. Here's hoping this is the breakthrough I've been looking for. I'm a menopausal Type 2 diabetic with allergy issues which makes life a bit difficult at times. I'm working on lowering my carb intake but this seems to give me really bad light headedness and a 'fuggy' feeling in my head so have to take it slowly. Perseverance, this site and a good supportive family really help.

Keep up the good fight all! :0)
Lighthheadedness is a known effect of your new med.
https://www.drugs.com/cdi/empagliflozin.html

Has your prescriber given you advice on Diabetic Keto Acidosis in connetion with this med. It has a warning in the US regarding this family of SGLT-2 inhibitor medications and the UK.gov site also has the warning but NICE has so far not issued any guidance to prescribers..

Teresa9584

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Vigorous exercise and chillies!
Lighthheadedness is a known effect of your new med.
https://www.drugs.com/cdi/empagliflozin.html

Has your prescriber given you advice on Diabetic Keto Acidosis in connetion with this med. It has a warning in the US regarding this family of SGLT-2 inhibitor medications and the UK.gov site also has the warning but NICE has so far not issued any guidance to prescribers..
Hi Oldvatr. No warning given but I'm back to see the diabetic nurse on Thursday so will ask some questions then. I'll also do a bit of research before then too. Thank you for the heads up. Appreciated.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant @JohnEGreen

Hard work, determination and a wee bit of support works wonders

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Oldvatr. No warning given but I'm back to see the diabetic nurse on Thursday so will ask some questions then. I'll also do a bit of research before then too. Thank you for the heads up. Appreciated.
I have started a new thread for discussion on this subject in its own right. I have placed some of my research into it. It is under Diabetic Meds

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Brilliant @JohnEGreen

Hard work, determination and a wee bit of support works wonders

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app
@britishpub Cheers thanks for your kind words, My priority now is not to think I have it beat and that I can do what I want. The changes I have made are a life time commitment one thing among many that I have learned here. Without the support I have found here I just could not have done it. You can't go it alone you need some where like this and the people you find here. :)