High blood pressure on a low carb diet

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Al sounds great other than the BP, which should come down on a low carb program. Add a potassium supplement - adults need about 1800 mg p day.

And/or go for more of those foods suggested by Kristin...

Let us know how it goes as I am sure the BP issue can be turned around. :)

Diagnosed 13 April 16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, weight 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, waist 42").

2 June 16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 120/72, weight 11st 11lbs, waist 30" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, waist 42").

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile each day, weekly intermittent fasting.

Never give in, never give in, never never never given in...Winston Churchill.

Sent from my iPhone3 June16:

Sent from my iPhone

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Funnily enough, I was buying decaf and decanting it into the regular coffee jar so he didn't know. But then he kept on about how the coffee tasted different and he guessed what I'd been doing. I'll have another go. I didn't see any difference myself. I've had my mum on decaf Typhoo tea for the last 3 years and she still doesn't know! I just fill up her tea caddy each time I visit.
He's been 4 days on the de-caf now and hasn't noticed yet!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood pressure has always been very high when tested at the surgery, and I've known my GP, who used also to be my neighbour, for many years, so I didn't really expect to be particularly stressed, but did wonder. So last autumn we did an experiment - he told me to get a blood pressure monitor and do random tests at home. And those readings were very much lower. I took the results and monitor in to check with him, and my blood pressure was right up again, slightly lower on my machine than his pump up cuff, but definitely much higher than at home. So perhaps think about doing this too?

Robbity

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My blood pressure has always been very high when tested at the surgery, and I've known my GP, who used also to be my neighbour, for many years, so I didn't really expect to be particularly stressed, but did wonder. So last autumn we did an experiment - he told me to get a blood pressure monitor and do random tests at home. And those readings were very much lower. I took the results and monitor in to check with him, and my blood pressure was right up again, slightly lower on my machine than his pump up cuff, but definitely much higher than at home. So perhaps think about doing this too?

Robbity
Thanks. We have got a machine at home and it's still high on that. I do mine to check and mine is fi e, so it's not the machine. He's had it done in various places...... eye clinic, Tesco, hospital, etc and it's always high. Thanks for that though.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
@pleinster @Magisham What excellent expertise and experience we have here, that is an amazingly detailed response from you, Paul. There is nothing better than personal experience, especially from somebody who has clearly done the relevant research, and what a good news story!

Thanks, pal. :)

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jeez! Could be the coffee!
Here we are 4 weeks later. Have had him on decaf for the last month, but have put it in a regular coffee jar so he doesn't know. Went to hospital the other day and blood pressure was perfect at 127 over something. Must have been the coffee cos he's still just as stressed out (more so now as the rain has ruined his crop of tomatoes and the squirrel has been at a lot of the other plants!).

Reactions: 7 people

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Those are good stress triggers! (wish the de-caf worked for me even though it tastes like rubbish)
I just can't get my bp down. Its been agreed I have white coat sindrome, but even using my own moniter I'm in the 150s./80s which is not good (but better than the 200s I was reading in surgery.
It seems that every BP drug I try gives unpleasant side effects however, I've tried so many I forget their names, and ever since diagnosis I've had a disruptive dry, tickely cough which won't go away.
How I wish someone would prove that some people are 'just' running at a higher pressure than others - and stop stressing us to get down to 'normal' standards.
Some hope

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those are good stress triggers! (wish the de-caf worked for me even though it tastes like rubbish)
I just can't get my bp down. Its been agreed I have white coat sindrome, but even using my own moniter I'm in the 150s./80s which is not good (but better than the 200s I was reading in surgery.
It seems that every BP drug I try gives unpleasant side effects however, I've tried so many I forget their names, and ever since diagnosis I've had a disruptive dry, tickely cough which won't go away.
How I wish someone would prove that some people are 'just' running at a higher pressure than others - and stop stressing us to get down to 'normal' standards.
Some hope

Are you on amlodipine? One of the side effects is a dry tickly cough...

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some hope
Try the Nescafe Gold Blend decaf coffee. It's got a blue top. He noticed when I gave him decaf before, but he hasn'the noticed this time. It's not bad.

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I like your comment ' its not bad' Magisham, and Brunilla - I have indeed tried Amlopidine but am now on Losartan and Bisropol and the cough hasn't changed.
I suppose I should keep going back and back to the GPs, but am tired of the time it takes - you take a new pill for a month and have side effects, but are told to keep persevering for a second month then a third before you can change it for another. And before you know it another year has gone by with only a fistful of side effects that lower your quality of life to show for it.
Sorry - feeling exasperated.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Magisham , I'm really pleased your husband's BP seems to have moderated a bit. You seem to work so hard for him.

If he is a stressy person, it could be worth his trying some of the reraxation things others have suggested, or a bit of hypnotherapy. I found hypntherapy really excellent, when going through a very stressful time. I

The lady I went to was very good, and listened to what was stressing me, then did a little bit of hypnosis on me. I immediately felt different. It was a bit like someone had lifted me by my head and given me a good shake to get rid of all the knots in my muscles and loosened my chest.

The first session was all about learning if hypnosis suited me. After a few days I had a telephone session to feed back too her how I had felt in the couple of days that had passed. I felt great!

I had one more session where she tweaked some of the messaging she was giving me, and recorded the session. I left with the CD she had recorded to use at my will. I still have it now, and I have converted it to MP3 format, so that I can still listen to it when I want to. I very rarely feel the need to listen t the session, as I can deploy the techniques in the messages without it.

I know your issues were really about his BP, but I know I certainly feel much better when I'm not stressed.

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Magisham , I'm really pleased your husband's BP seems to have moderated a bit. You seem to work so hard for him.

If he is a stressy person, it could be worth his trying some of the reraxation things others have suggested, or a bit of hypnotherapy. I found hypntherapy really excellent, when going through a very stressful time. I

The lady I went to was very good, and listened to what was stressing me, then did a little bit of hypnosis on me. I immediately felt different. It was a bit like someone had lifted me by my head and given me a good shake to get rid of all the knots in my muscles and loosened my chest.

The first session was all about learning if hypnosis suited me. After a few days I had a telephone session to feed back too her how I had felt in the couple of days that had passed. I felt great!

I had one more session where she tweaked some of the messaging she was giving me, and recorded the session. I left with the CD she had recorded to use at my will. I still have it now, and I have converted it to MP3 format, so that I can still listen to it when I want to. I very rarely feel the need to listen t the session, as I can deploy the techniques in the messages without it.

I know your issues were really about his BP, but I know I certainly feel much better when I'm not stressed.
Thanks. I will suggest that to him. He's a bit like "I'm a man, I can deal with it", but he really does need to learn to relax a bit. I think he's found it difficult to accept what has happened to him over the last 5 years. He was always a strong man, and ex marine. Then he had a heart attack, which resulted in a bypass operation. As he got over that his kidneys failed, possibly due to a GP who kept prescribing anti-inflammatory pills for his gout and who never checked his blood pressure, which, when checked by his present GP, was "off the scale". He had a kidney from his daughter, which went well except that he then had a hernia where they cut him so that was another operation. And now, possibly due to the anti-rejection drugs, he has ended up with the diabetes. So you can see why he gets so fed up. I feel really sorry for him.