Type 2 Is type 2 an autoimmune symptom too?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Who knows? Some people can reverse their type 2 with a change in diet while others can't. Maybe the ones that can't have a autoimmune disease.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Who knows? Some people can reverse their type 2 with a change in diet while others can't. Maybe the ones that can't have a autoimmune disease.
You may be right.
I have had bell's palsy, underactive thyroid and pcos. Now type2 which seems to be progressive no matter what my diet.
Meat and fat only, veg and fish, gi carbs and veg or everything and anything.
I envy diabetics who lose weight, mine moves a few pounds then bounces back to highest weight again.
I tried meal replacements early last year with no affect.
Anorexia (as in loss of appetite) will help me lose weight but I'll still be diabetic!

Last edited by a moderator:

sud5nala

Type 2 by definition includes insulin resistance. Any review of T2 in a medical journal or a book for ordinary people will repeat this. "insulin resistance is its hallmark" or other categorical statements.

The idea in this latest article has been discussed in medical journals since at least 2002. It's also known that most of the autoantibodies are also found in T2 patients sometimes, but they will occur in trace amounts considered to have no impact.

There is one autoantibody, ZnT8A, which is special because it is the only one that is never found in T2 patients. The United States Food and Drug Administration affirmed that ZnT8A is distinctive of T1.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks @sud5nala . Are autoantibodies influenced by stress or inflammation? Or any variable?

sud5nala

Thanks @sud5nala . Are autoantibodies influenced by stress or inflammation? Or any variable?
I don't know that, especially in the sense of: once their production is entrenched. Since many autoimmune cases emerge in adulthood, scientists talk about "triggers" for them, such as severe illness. There are researchers interested in whether inflammation can trigger autoimmune diseases.

A few minutes ago, I searched on "is type 2 diabetes an autoimmune disease", and there were several hits. I read one of them back in 2014.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Are autoantibodies influenced by stress or inflammation? Or any variable?
Well I have Myasthenia Gravis and that is definitely sensitive to stress, high levels of stress will often cause an exacerbation of MG symptoms..

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I suspect that what the medical system calls type 2 diabetes is really many different conditions that, although similar, all cause high blood glucose levels. In other words, I don't think there is one single kind of type 2 diabetes.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Looking around the net. A few sufferers are blood group A- (NEGATIVE).

I'm A-.
Are you?

I'd like to think if all NEGATIVE that that would have been the conclusion from the start. Hence, only hereditary.
I'm negative but I've produced positive babies. Neither of which are showing any signs of diabetes, to date.
If they meet a negative partner their children could be negative or positive. Genetic! Is diabetes a flaw in NEGATIVE blood groups. A blood disorder?

Reactions: 4 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm A-.
Are you?

I'd like to think if all NEGATIVE that that would have been the conclusion from the start. Hence, only hereditary.
I'm negative but I've produced positive babies. Neither of which are showing any signs of diabetes, to date.
If they meet a negative partner their children could be negative or positive. Genetic! Is diabetes a flaw in NEGATIVE blood groups. A blood disorder?

Yep, I'm A negative rhesus blood type too.

Also out of interest I always have elevated CRP (c-reactive protein) which is an inflammation marker in the body. I wonder if that is the case for some other type 2's. Mind you I already know I have wide spread inflammation in my body (eg. I have inflamed vocals, stomach, bladder).... not sure how that all started and if it is auto-immune related at all. It doesn't matter what I do though the inflammation doesn't go away and they haven't managed to get a normal level CRP from me for some time.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
O neg here - also PCOS and psoriasis- I think there is something in the auto immune thing but like @NoCrbs4Me i think T2 is a big umberella

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Fascinating thread and a completely fresh potential view to me ....will be interested to see where this goes:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A+ here, so as usual, I go against the flow. :)

I have commented often that T2 is what I have labelled a portfolio condition; lots of potential elements, but all exhibiting elevated blood sugar levels to a great or lesser extent. For me, T2 is almost the default for diagnosis over a, undefined "certain age", where the likelihood of other types is eliminated.

Cragwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm A-.
Are you?

O- here

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another O+.

Slowly working my way through my Promethease report based on AncestryDNA analysis. Comes back with multiple genetic risk factors for Type 2 including insulin insensitivity, reduced insulin secretion from pancreas and other issues.

The scariest revelation so far is having the HLA-B27 markers with increased risk of spondylosing arthritis and other related conditions. Makes me even happier I've adopted an LCHF way of eating as a reduced starch diet is recommended :)

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis, rosacea, possible hashimotos, and of course T2. No idea what my blood type is.