Type 1: Blood Sugar All Over the Place Really Need Help Adjusting Levels

Debbie1*

Hi Akauist
I don't usually comment on these forums but have seen enough to comment. You are obviously doing everything you can to manage your BGLs as a type one (as opposed to type two). Have you ever thought that this might not be your fault or infact not down to what you are eating. It seems your BGL's are higher in a morning and back to 'normal' expected T1 levels later in the day (but need to stay above 4mmol). I have not read all your replies as I do not have time however, I would urge you to speak to your diabetes nurse and discuss somogyi phenomenon and dawn response both of which could mean you have high fasting BGL's that reduce later in the day. The fact you are going to bed on lower numbers and having to eat to bring your numbers up makes me think that you could be having too much basal insulin and a resultant overnight low bgl. This is managed by your body as it produces glucagon to raise your BGLs whilst you sleep. The end result of this complicated process is that you wake up with high levels which often are difficult to reduce as they are compounded by food and other factors. Please seek professional help. Regards Debbie

Reactions: 2 people

cjj

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me i really appreciate it.

Azure - I will go ahead and change my coffees to one sugar and see if that helps bring things under control a bit more - also how do I get the basal under control?

Munim786 - I will order that book I definatley need more information on how to get this under control-

RuthW - Yes i have been taking 15units of levimir once a day normally before breakfast at around 10 - 11am and have not eaten dinner yet today which is why i did not list it - I had a little read through this forum before I posted and had already decided to split the levimir to 8 units at 10pm and 10am - I should perhaps have breakfast slightly earlier to avoid overlapping the novorapid doses. You also mention getting the basal rate right is there a specfic way to do this or is splitting my levemir dose the way to go about it?

Noblehead - Just seen your reply (must have posted when i was typing my response) This is what i was wandering how to do will have a read of that now

Thanks again for your replies

you really should not be having any sugar unless it's a quick fix for a hypo. if it's white sugar, then that stuff is bad. sweeteners are bad. honey, if you really need sweetness. or simply, avoid any sweet additive unless sorting a hypo out, then your levels may ease a bit.

Brihaze

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being pushed into technology
Just reading through this thread and my first instinct was the basal is running out over night causing the morning highs, was going to suggest split dosing the levemir too. I'm surprised your HCPs haven't suggested anything to help with your increasing hba1c results.

Anyway, you've decided you want to get on top of this and now taking appropriate action, good for you and keep on it! Keep asking and posting - we're all in this together.
Levimer is affective for about 18 hours I use Levemir with my evening meal and meal boluses thru the day will cover me thru to the evening, however if you try this you may need to reduce the Levemir as its profile tends to peak then a gradual tapering off unlike lantus which has a flatter profile