How to gain weight?

MyNameIsAlex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've always been a skinny person but since I've been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, I've lost about 8-10 kilograms. What can I do to gain some weight, I don't like how I look now. I am way too skinny for my age (25) and my height (185).

Last edited by a moderator:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @MyNameIsAlex :)

What are your blood sugar test results like? Can you give us an example of a day's meals for you?

To put on weight, I increase the amount of carbs I eat. If you do that, you will need to adjust your insulin. If you're not confident doing that, you should get advice from a doctor or nurse.

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Me too lost a lot of weight. Since diagnoses 3 stone. Have been avoiding high carbs as was told to. But how do we put on weight then!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

MyNameIsAlex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My blood sugar levels are pretty good.. I have moments when my blood sugar goes high, like 170-180 mg/dl but that's probably my fault because I eat sweets. In the last 2 months the highest BG was 220 mg/dl. I am injecting myself 4 units of Lantus in the morning, before breakfast, 8 units of Novorapid before launch and dinner (4 units for each meal). Last week I took only 4 units of Lantus a day because I had very low blood sugar levels ( the lowest was 48) so I took a break from injecting novorapid. I don't eat very much carbs because I am afraid of high BG.

Last edited by a moderator:

MyNameIsAlex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I enjoy eating boiled potatoes (natúr), rice, pasta, beans, chickpeas, in small quantities but I've run out of ideas. I am sick of eating same food every day.

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you will do good control on your blood sugar level then you will start to gain the weight. I had also lost weight 15 kg, but after taking insulin injection i gained 10 kg with in 2 months. You will gain the weight slowly.

Reactions: 2 people

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type 2 but why not try LCHF , keep your carbs lowish (trial and error) but try starting at 100g a day but pack in the high quality fats..

Check out my sig for a keto calculator and just eat a few hundred cals above BMR...

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For a Type 1, insulin plus carbs is the ideal way to gain weight because it has a great muscle-building potential. There is an excellent article about this (posted by PseudoBob77) in another thread called Factors in Long term Survival for Type 1 Ds. It talks about the ideal diet and exercise for gaining muscle and not fat. You don't want to just gain fat now or you risk ending up with 'double diabetes'. The good news is that Type 1s actually have an advantage over 'normies' when it comes to gaining muscle.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I enjoy eating boiled potatoes (natúr), rice, pasta, beans, chickpeas, in small quantities but I've run out of ideas. I am sick of eating same food every day.

Other carbs could be noodles (Chinesse style), fruit. oatcakes, bread, etc

Try varying your accompanying proteins and fats and vegetables to get variety.

As @RuthW says carbs plus insulin are a good way to gain weight. If you're worried about high sugars after meals, try doing your fast acting injection more in advance of your meals. That can work wonders.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My blood sugar levels are pretty good.. I have moments when my blood sugar goes high, like 170-180 mg/dl but that's probably my fault because I eat sweets....Last week I took only 4 units of Lantus a day because I had very low blood sugar levels ( the lowest was 48) so I took a break from injecting novorapid. I don't eat very much carbs because I am afraid of high BG.

Were you diagnosed recently? It sounds like you may be in your 'honeymoon period' - still producing some insulin sometimes.

If so, you may find people on the LADA board helpful because they are in the same situation.

But if you are still producing insulin sometimes, you still may be able to put on a but if muscle by eating carbs and exercising. It's important, in fact, because when T1s lose weight before diagnosis, it's often through muscle wastage as well as fat loss.

cjj

guzzle down pints of real ale, eat lots of bread and butter pudding, bread, cakes, cheese, lots of butter, chocolate, plenty of sat fat, sugar in your drinks, etc... you may have over active thyroids, that'll keep you skinny no matter how much **** you eat welcome to the party

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
guzzle down pints of real ale, eat lots of bread and butter pudding, bread, cakes, cheese, lots of butter, chocolate, plenty of sat fat, sugar in your drinks, etc... you may have over active thyroids, that'll keep you skinny no matter how much **** you eat welcome to the party

Weren't you the one that just told another T1 not to eat any sugar at all ever?

Your advice is pretty inconsistent, to put it mildly.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. What are you doing about the proteins and fats? These should definitely be a big part of your diet and also increase the carbs/insulin in addition as needed.

Reactions: 2 people

MyNameIsAlex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Weren't you the one that just told another T1 not to eat any sugar at all ever?

Your advice is pretty inconsistent, to put it mildly.

I think this comment was intended to be ironic

MyNameIsAlex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I ate 5 slices of pizza, now my BG is 165 (after 2 hours). I have injected 4 units of novorapid. I don't know how to do the correct calculation.. for x grams of carbs, how many units of insulin do I have to inject?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It will depend what your ratio is @MyNameIsAlex We all have our own ratios for insulin to carbs.

Do you count carbs? Can you ask your diabetes nurse what your ratio is?

Having said that, pizza is quite carby anyway, so is hard to bolus correctly for. I don't know how big your slices were, but I find that I have a maximum amount of carbs that I can eat in one meal and still be able to get my blood sugar in range afterwards. If your meal was very high carb, you may need to watch your blood sugar for some hours afterwards. Be careful not to over correct and go too low.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I ate 5 slices of pizza, now my BG is 165 (after 2 hours). I have injected 4 units of novorapid. I don't know how to do the correct calculation.. for x grams of carbs, how many units of insulin do I have to inject?

I think you might benefit from an online carb counting course like this one:
http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/
Then maybe get a copy of Think Like A Pancreas. He tells you how to work out ratios, correction doses, etc.
4 units would be far too big a correction dose for me there. My blood sugar drops by 75mm per unit of insulin. Some people drop by half that, and presumably some people by more.
But pizza is a bit more complex because of the fat in it, so 4 might work for you.