Baking Soda Blues

Digger-i-doo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I made a batch of low-carb lemon blueberry scones. I was pretty excited about them and planned to scarf one down this afternoon with a cup of coffee. They smelled great, they looked good, but when I broke off a bit to sample ... bleah. The taste was definitely off, to the point that I threw the whole thing out, and I HATE doing that. I've had plenty of recipes that didn't quite turn out as I'd hoped but were edible. But these were just ... no. I suspected too much baking soda to be the culprit. Here's the ingredient list:
  • 2 cups almond flour
  • ⅓ cup coconut flour
  • ⅓ cups Swerve, Granular
  • Zest of one lemon
  • 1 tbsp baking soda
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • ¼ cup butter, melted
  • 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • ¾ cup blueberries
I've seen recipes call for that amount of baking powder, but not baking soda. Maybe they meant 1 tbsp baking powder? Or 1 teaspoon of baking soda?

I left a comment on the site, asking if maybe there'd been a mistake. I got this reply: "Yes, it’s definitely correct. Gluten free recipes need more leavening agent to rise properly. We certainly didn’t find any taste difference."

So maybe I did something wrong then? Or maybe I need a new box of baking soda? I don't know. In the meantime, I've found another lemon blueberry recipe on another site that looks good, and only uses 2 tsp baking powder.

Thoughts?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It does seem a lot - I can feel my tongue itching just reading it! For me scones need baking soda not powder - I would experiment with making it with half that - which looking at the new recipe you've found that's about the amount they use. We have a member here who has a good site I'm sure she has a good scones recipe but can't find her to tag her so will tag @Brunneria as I know she knows her forum name (apologies to my fellow forum member who's name escapes me - put it down to old age and brain burps! Lol)

Digger-i-doo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The silver lining to yesterday's scone disaster was that it motivated me to find another blueberry lemon something to make. I settled on blueberry streusel muffins with lemon cream cheese icing (from ibreatheimhungry.com). And ... WOW. I just finished one. FANTASTIC. :happy: