Starting insulin and terrified

taylor marley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, I am very new to this and really need advice from your experience with insulin. I am type 2 and was diagnosed 10 years ago. Have been on Metformin, Byetta and Victoza. My BG readings are between 16 and 30. Recent hba1c result should have been, I beleive 40 - 50, but mine was 121. I have now been referred as an emergency to the local hospital to go on insulin. I am 50 years old and weigh 17 and a half stone. I have recently lost a stone, but obviously still have a long way to go. I will be honest with you, I suffer with depression and when I am in a 'bad place' I binge on anything and everything. It is easy for people to say don't do it, but I just can't help myself. I am mostly scared of hypo's and weight gain. Does anyone have any advice for me please? I can't sleep at night with worry.

Reactions: 2 people

Cragwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I am very new to this and really need advice from your experience with insulin. I am type 2 and was diagnosed 10 years ago. Have been on Metformin, Byetta and Victoza. My BG readings are between 16 and 30. Recent hba1c result should have been, I beleive 40 - 50, but mine was 121. I have now been referred as an emergency to the local hospital to go on insulin. I am 50 years old and weigh 17 and a half stone. I have recently lost a stone, but obviously still have a long way to go. I will be honest with you, I suffer with depression and when I am in a 'bad place' I binge on anything and everything. It is easy for people to say don't do it, but I just can't help myself. I am mostly scared of hypo's and weight gain. Does anyone have any advice for me please? I can't sleep at night with worry.

First of all, please don't be terrified. I have been on a similar journey to you and it's actually much easier to control your diabetes with insulin than it is with tablets and other medication. Part of your depression and bingeing will be because your sugars are high and unstable, that means you are craving sugar and carbs because your body is not processing what you are feeding it. Getting control of your sugars will help your mood and your state of mind. Can you ask your GP for any help? Is there any way of accessing any CBT or similar talking therapies to help you? There is an online organisation called "BEAT" who run online support groups too.

If you have been taking Byetta and Victoza you should have got past the fear of injections, which is most of the battle. I can highly recommend a book called "Think Like a Pancreas" That has really helped me understand things and how to avoid hypos and weight gain.

Good luck, let me know how you are getting on
xx

Reactions: 6 people

taylor marley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
First of all, please don't be terrified. I have been on a similar journey to you and it's actually much easier to control your diabetes with insulin than it is with tablets and other medication. Part of your depression and bingeing will be because your sugars are high and unstable, that means you are craving sugar and carbs because your body is not processing what you are feeding it. Getting control of your sugars will help your mood and your state of mind. Can you ask your GP for any help? Is there any way of accessing any CBT or similar talking therapies to help you? There is an online organisation called "BEAT" who run online support groups too.

If you have been taking Byetta and Victoza you should have got past the fear of injections, which is most of the battle. I can highly recommend a book called "Think Like a Pancreas" That has really helped me understand things and how to avoid hypos and weight gain.

Good luck, let me know how you are getting on
xx
Hi Cragwood,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am not worried about injecting, it's hypo's and weight gain I am more concerned about. I have taken on board you advice and it is very reassuring, thank you. I will get the book. Many thanks

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. As you've been on other injectables, that aspect shouldn't worry you, but with regard to weight gain and hypos you need to bear in mind that insulin itself doesn't cause weight gain but it does store the carbs you eat into body fat if you have too many carbs so I'm afraid the need to control carbs will remain very important. The less insulin you inject the less the blood sugar swings into hypos so again keep the carbs down and your insulin needs will also reduce. To start with you will need to use your meter a lot and it will take a while to get the balance right. In 3 years I've never had a full hypo so they can be avoided. You will almost certainly still be producing some of your own insulin which helps. Are you seeking treatment for your depression? Do refer yourself to one of the charities that provide support if you haven't already done so.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I'm not on insulin but have binge eating issues too, so understand how you feel. I've decided (after implementing some drastic measures in the past!) to make an appt with my GP, and ask for a referral for therapy. Maybe it's something you would consider?
In the meantime, if you can avoid carbs as much as possible, that will help your levels xx

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I started insulin two years ago and haven't looked back - better BGs, way lower HbA1c's and all round feeling much better. I inject 2 times a day a day and test 4-6 times. I know in the beginning it's new and a pain but soon it becomes second nature. :)