I just can't remember!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This is all about a series of books bought back in the last decade that I followed religiously and decided to reread through again during my rest and recuperation time, (not much at the moment tho!)
The thing is the first five books in the series, I remember vividly and I followed the storyline and characters with ease and had no problems.
However, (isn't there always one!) The last two books in the series, are totally new to me!
I know I have read them, but just cannot for the life of me remember them!
It is really like reading a new novel.

These books were bought around the time that I was really ill in my hypo hell and having discussed this with friends, colleagues and particularly my family. There is a lot missing from my memory of that time, I've been shown photos that have a really fat version of me in them but I don't remember the place, time or when they were!
I know this is not weird to someone who has something like the early onset of Alzheimer's and the like, but, I've been tested, other than normal, my main memory of things is fine especially since being diagnosed and in ketosis. Everyone has memories of birthdays and Christmas, but I just don't remember things like a really important birthday for the wife and have never missed with her special days or the kids and grandkids.
But I cannot for the life remember even some important football matches that I attended, but some others I do!

Has anyone else out there had similar experiences?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you have had even a ministroke, a TIA, you can zap a specific memory in your brain. As your brain functions like a human fragmented drive, you will have pieces of your memory scattered elsewhere in your brain. Thus, rereading things you read before, taking a look at the old college notes, hearing a song known in the past can not onlky bring that memory back but can also bring back whatever is resident with that fragmented piece, so....

redoing stuff is healthy all round

As you have however fractionally more humanity, maturity, etc. than in your first distracted reading, you will also be adding a layer of understanding to that second reading along with

little fragmented pieces of the same which will carry along with them the key to later recovery of the same, in total or in part

From all my tests and blood works, I don't believe I've had a mini stroke or a TIA!
I have an idea that it might be the time when my hypoglycaemic tendencies to be in the fore and hyperinsulinaemia was raging through my veins. (Far too much insulin!)
I was wondering whether others like T1s because of there hypos had similar occasions when they can't remember things that they should!
I don't believe I have been comatose during my hypo hell, but I don't remember or realise what was happening then. It was a time like a really bad dream, a nightmare that I awoke from because of ditching the carbs.
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.
Anyone else had similar memory lapses?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
This is all about a series of books bought back in the last decade that I followed religiously and decided to reread through again during my rest and recuperation time, (not much at the moment tho!)
The thing is the first five books in the series, I remember vividly and I followed the storyline and characters with ease and had no problems.
However, (isn't there always one!) The last two books in the series, are totally new to me!
I know I have read them, but just cannot for the life of me remember them!
It is really like reading a new novel.

These books were bought around the time that I was really ill in my hypo hell and having discussed this with friends, colleagues and particularly my family. There is a lot missing from my memory of that time, I've been shown photos that have a really fat version of me in them but I don't remember the place, time or when they were!
I know this is not weird to someone who has something like the early onset of Alzheimer's and the like, but, I've been tested, other than normal, my main memory of things is fine especially since being diagnosed and in ketosis. Everyone has memories of birthdays and Christmas, but I just don't remember things like a really important birthday for the wife and have never missed with her special days or the kids and grandkids.
But I cannot for the life remember even some important football matches that I attended, but some others I do!

Has anyone else out there had similar experiences?

As a T2, I have definitely had the same experience, with books, films, video series, significant places, events and people:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks, Kev!
Do you think that it's just a normal brain function?
For example, when we have traumatic experiences, even though I haven't had one!
But I had really bad anxiety issues during my hypo hell time.
And I've read that RH and a lack of glucose to the brain can affect memory.
Because I'm more lucid now and the last couple of years, I am having trouble remembering things I've forgot during that time, but other unimportant things, I do! A sort of selective memory!
Surely it should be the other way around?
Remembering the important stuff,
Forgetting the unimportant day to day rubbish!
Maybe it's because I'm a bit weird!

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Nosher, My wife and I were going across to Newcastle hospital in the car about a couple years ago and when I got to Haydon Bridge I couln't remember being on the road from before Haltwhistle! Funny thing when I told her she reckoned she couldnt remember being on the road as well. I guess other things were on our minds and we were in automatic mode. atb Derek

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Nosher, My wife and I were going across to Newcastle hospital in the car about a couple years ago and when I got to Haydon Bridge I couln't remember being on the road from before Haltwhistle! Funny thing when I told her she reckoned she couldnt remember being on the road as well. I guess other things were on our minds and we were in automatic mode. atb Derek

I like that, I do think, I am sometimes on 'auto' mode.
During work, whilst thinking of other things trying to concentrate, it comes as a surprise as to have far I've got! However, there is the odd time, when, I'm not as far along as I thought I would or should be.
Suppose, it's like clock watching or time flying, it's a matter of your brains perspective!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks, Kev!
Do you think that it's just a normal brain function?
For example, when we have traumatic experiences, even though I haven't had one!
But I had really bad anxiety issues during my hypo hell time.
And I've read that RH and a lack of glucose to the brain can affect memory.
Because I'm more lucid now and the last couple of years, I am having trouble remembering things I've forgot during that time, but other unimportant things, I do! A sort of selective memory!
Surely it should be the other way around?
Remembering the important stuff,
Forgetting the unimportant day to day rubbish!
Maybe it's because I'm a bit weird!

Oh defo:)

I've had my fair share of trauma, part and parcel of getting to 54 and my wife says I often forget key details and events.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

I've read about this quite extensively and its like hypnotism....our brain continue to function, operating our eyes, coordination, action, but we suddenly "wake" and realise we've no recollection of where we've been driving.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I have experienced disorientation many times. I usually put it down to daydreaming instead of thinking about what I am doing. If there is a powerful distraction in your life I am certain it takes over the brain when your brain is not too busy. It should be busy when you are driving but if driving becomes second nature you can have some down time and suddenly wonder where you are.

I am fortunate to have a shortish memory for films and books anyway. This means I can watch a film or read a book twice and still enjoy it since much of the detail has been forgotten. The most recent example is a film I watched on Netflix yesterday. Part way in I realised I had seen it before but that was OK.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, I have experienced disorientation many times. I usually put it down to daydreaming instead of thinking about what I am doing. If there is a powerful distraction in your life I am certain it takes over the brain when your brain is not too busy. It should be busy when you are driving but if driving becomes second nature you can have some down time and suddenly wonder where you are.

I am fortunate to have a shortish memory for films and books anyway. This means I can watch a film or read a book twice and still enjoy it since much of the detail has been forgotten. The most recent example is a film I watched on Netflix yesterday. Part way in I realised I had seen it before but that was OK.

The reason I brought the book thing up is because, my memory for stuff like films, books and television programmes is because once I've watched, read or seen it, it's very rare for me to enjoy again. There is not many films, I have watched more than once! I seem to know the lot from scratch to end including dialogue.
I think that's why I'm so sport orientated except for tennis and car racing thingy!
I hate to know the outcome!
I like new things in my entertainment mode!
But I just can't get my head around not knowing these books!

DaveThompson

I am having issues at work which I believe are linked to my T2. Its like being drunk or walking around in a fog. I have not been able to 'pull my weight' and my performance has dropped over the last 3 months. I was diagnosed two weeks ago with a FBG of 15 ? Which put me right up the wrong end of the scale. Work aren't being very helpful and are threatening all sorts of nasty things so, for now, I am concentrating on adjusting and getting my faculties back. Work can wait, it's not like they can sack me for an unknown unidentified and until now untreated medical condition. At least I hope.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That's a really great question!

An awful lot of symptoms attributed to diabetic or endocrine and conditions such as hyperthyroidism has mental health problems such as anxiety and depression amongst others like forgetfulness and memory lapses.

Since my own personal search for answers to why I had anxiety issues with my hypo hell period, which has cleared up, now, that I'm in complete control.
It has something to do with glucose and microbiota and how your body reacts to certain foods.
Certainly the balance between our hormones, such as insulin, glucose and cortisol, add in how we live our lives, gives us a real cocktail of symptoms that kick in when insulin resistance is to the fore.