Type 1 and hormones! (One for the ladies I think)

Phoebe2004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,
I have been having the worst week with my sugar levels. They have been high and I couldn't seem to get them down at all, no matter how good I was! I am 43 and not altogether convinced the menopause isn't too far away because I get very hot and sweaty at any point. I would like to know if this is going to cause problems with my sugars more than normal pre menstrual stuff.
I have ended up with a bit of a migraine and a bit of vertigo too. Feeling rubbish!! Any experiences or advice will be gratefully accepted!!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi All,
I have been having the worst week with my sugar levels. They have been high and I couldn't seem to get them down at all, no matter how good I was! I am 43 and not altogether convinced the menopause isn't too far away because I get very hot and sweaty at any point. I would like to know if this is going to cause problems with my sugars more than normal pre menstrual stuff.
I have ended up with a bit of a migraine and a bit of vertigo too. Feeling rubbish!! Any experiences or advice will be gratefully accepted!!

Whilst you're waiting for the ladies to swing by, have a look at this.......
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/menopause-and-diabetes.html

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep. Insulin resistance that you wouldn't believe- might as well be bolusing water. Then boom sensitivity increases. Pain in the neck it is.
More testing to play round with basal, I've increased the amount of HIIT exercise and weight lifting. It increases insulin sensitivity and I sweat my a@@e off. It seems to reduce the number of random flushes.
I tried hrt but for 3 weeks I felt like I was due on and had the mental age of a 15 yr old crying over Duran Duran. I packed it in, dropped 5lbs in water weight in 4 days.
I also do intermittent fasting which seems to help.
But yes insulin resistance increases at random times then disappears.
I feel your pain- especially when a high is unexplained it's really frustrating.

Reactions: 2 people
S

Shar67

You can get a blood test to see if you are pre menopausal it might be worth asking GP to refer you to a gyneagologist at 43 your about 10/15 years to young to be having this.
My menopausal symptoms are very similar to low/high BG so get checked out

Phoebe2004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep. Insulin resistance that you wouldn't believe- might as well be bolusing water. Then boom sensitivity increases. Pain in the neck it is.
More testing to play round with basal, I've increased the amount of HIIT exercise and weight lifting. It increases insulin sensitivity and I sweat my a@@e off. It seems to reduce the number of random flushes.
I tried hrt but for 3 weeks I felt like I was due on and had the mental age of a 15 yr old crying over Duran Duran. I packed it in, dropped 5lbs in water weight in 4 days.
I also do intermittent fasting which seems to help.
But yes insulin resistance increases at random times then disappears.
I feel your pain- especially when a high is unexplained it's really frustrating.
Thank you so much. Maybe that could explain what's been happening. I've just never had it like this before. Good to hear.

Phoebe2004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can get a blood test to see if you are pre menopausal it might be worth asking GP to refer you to a gyneagologist at 43 your about 10/15 years to young to be having this.
My menopausal symptoms are very similar to low/high BG so get checked out
Thank you. My sister started hers in her very early forties so I wouldn't be surprised. I'm at the GP this afternoon for something else but will mention it while I'm there I think.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I went from regular like clockwork to post menopausal hormone levels in one month at age 37. It just all stopped. Then I spent ten years swinging between normal and post M hormone levels with a cycle about once a year for 10 years and all the unpleasant menopause symptoms. I totally and completely believe it was autoimmune to go with all my other autoimmune issues. Docs could not explain it. Menopause can happen at almost any age.

Phoebe2004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went from regular like clockwork to post menopausal hormone levels in one month at age 37. It just all stopped. Then I spent ten years swinging between normal and post M hormone levels with a cycle about once a year for 10 years and all the unpleasant menopause symptoms. I totally and completely believe it was autoimmune to go with all my other autoimmune issues. Docs could not explain it. Menopause can happen at almost any age.
Thank you also, just have to take it as it comes I guess, just as long as the docs realise that I am trying my best!!

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have had probs since late 40's definitely peri menopausal then,I believe it was called. Now 55 hot flushes unbearable day and night unexplained highs and unable to tell difference between hypo and flushes during the night. Feeling very fed up and tired have tried various herbal mess with no effect. Hormones not reccomended anyone have any ideas?

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Still on low dose HRT at 62. I find I no longer need to take one every day, just a couple of tablets a week seems to keep the flushes away, as this was the only problem I had. It was so difficult to distinguish between a hot flush and the start of a hypo, especially during the night and having to get up to keep testing. Other than flushes I had no problems.