Type 1. Breakfast biscuits

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, it was full fat we don't do low fat anything in our house!
My type 2 partner can eat it with a smallish spike. I do coffee and cream sometimes for breakfast. Love that! I have thought if sugar free jelly and cream for breakfast but I'm trying to cut out sweeteners. I really need to start drinking alcohol again to damp me liver down. The only problem us I don't think the headteacher would be happy me having a glass of wine on the desk?

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
hi all hope all are well!!!
I was thinking of trying some of these breakfast biscuits that are widely available but are they any good for t1 to eat???

I've never eaten them tbh but I'd imagine they may spike bg levels so I'd work on getting the bolus timing right if you do decide to go ahead, if I were rushing out the house and wanted something quick to eat then I'd opt for a banana.

My liver thinks I'm being chased by bears and tigers 30 minutes after my first cuppa.

I'm the same @Mrs Vimes, if I don't eat breakfast I experience a liver dump which pushes up my bg levels within the hour, I see this when I fast for a cholesterol check and can be in double figures 2 hours from waking, by having something to eat it switches off this mechanism and I don't need to take a correction dose, remember the body is like a car and it needs fuel for the journey ahead.

Reactions: 2 people

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @noblehead , I've tried it every which way, eating doesn't switch it off for me. I've tried carbs, low carb, protein and fat. Timing of eating. Then the playing around with lantus on advice.
Nothing breakfasty switches it off or lowers it. I've ended up on the pump for it. I think it's because I packed in drinking alcohol and 'freed' my liver! Or my body thinks I live a dangerous, exciting life.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @noblehead , I've tried it every which way, eating doesn't switch it off for me. I've tried carbs, low carb, protein and fat. Timing of eating. Then the playing around with lantus on advice.
Nothing breakfasty switches it off or lowers it. I've ended up on the pump for it. I think it's because I packed in drinking alcohol and 'freed' my liver! Or my body thinks I live a dangerous, exciting life.

It just shows how individual we all are @Mrs Vimes and what works for one may not work for another.

I love breakfast and believe its the most important meal of the day, my evening meal is around 6pm so I'm always ready for my it as I don't snack or eat supper any-more. Pleased the pump has helped you somewhat.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@noblehead I used to love my breakfast. before diabetes I had an inch thick slice of wholemeal toast with an inch thick layer of butter and a bowl of half bran flakes and cornflakes!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@noblehead I used to love my breakfast. before diabetes I had an inch thick slice of wholemeal toast with an inch thick layer of butter and a bowl of half bran flakes and cornflakes!

Sounds lovely.

I use to eat All-Bran before changing to porridge which I've eaten for the last 5 years or more, I do enjoy toast but tend to eat it with boiled eggs (my weekend treat :)).

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find timing of the breakfast bolus is everything. I usually have cereal, but can also have croissants or toast or similar, or fruit salad and muesli, etc

I also like a coffee and brunch with friends, but then I have a small carb breakfast and bolus first thing, then I'm fine to have my brunch and stay in range.

Maybe you have more insulin resistance @Mrs Vimes ?

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@azure I think it's just mad DP. Tried the timings and all that. I first started looking into it because I got to around 10ish on the morning and my bs were 25 after my usual bowl of porridge I'd had at th same time every day for years, the same amount and the same bolus. I had three staff phone in sick that day and kids revising for a big exam the next day. So basically stress I reckon. The difference though was no alcohol as I'd packed it in. (Just to be clear it was alcohol if a night not while teaching!)
I reckon my liver is super efficient at preparing me for the day. Nothing stops it except weekends and holidays - it tends to be later and less. When it stops it stops pretty abruptly. It doesn't tale off. I'm glad of my cgm. But now because I have no iob I stay safe.
I don't think / not sure that counts as insulin resistance. In the afternoon and throug most of the night my basal follows the usual patterns. I make a massive deal of my coffee now of a morning so I don't feel hard done by.
I find that lchf helps to make it seriously uncomplicated and skipping breakfast. Of a weekend I do brunch of sausage, bacon and eggs. That takes 2 u over 2 hours.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Mrs Vimes Stress can definitely have a huge effect on blood sugar - and then a big high can make you stressed so it's a bit of a vicious circle. I find if I start the day high, then it's much harder to get back on an even keel.

I couldn't control my DP without my pump. My insulin needs start shooting up from around 4am, but early in the night they're extremely low. Only a pump can match those needs. Love my pump!

latvianchick

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being told "you are diabetic, what do you expect?" or "You are stupid or you would be able to control your bloods perfectly!" Hypo unawareness and its consequences!
Just never no what to eat anymore fed up of the same things all the time
You and me both - I am sick of the same thing day in day out, almost totally devoid of flavour (I want savoury, not sweet, easy to cook/prepare and not fruit or pappy, or smoothies!) There seems to be so little for us who do not want sweet or flavourless.