Anyone hear Antony Worrall Thompson?

brill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Country & Western!
Just heard Antony Worrall Thompson doing a piece on cooking for diabetes on Woman's Hour. If I tell you his recipe was "French Toast with a Crunch" you will get the picture!
He told listeners to avoid cream because of fat (which will affect your BG how?) and egg yolks, the latter because of cholesterol, although he did admit that maybe eating cholesterol isn't what raises it.
To be fair, he did talk about the GI of foods and used a seedy bread and an unsweetened muesli in his recipe, but I can't help feel this gives the wrong impression, ie that you should eat a "normal" western diet, but substituting sweeteners for sugar, when quite often I suspect, it is this "normal" diet that got us into trouble in the first place.
Or am I being over-sensitive? Perhaps I should be grateful the beeb is covering the subject at all?

Brill

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I don't know about raising blood sugar, but it certainly made my blood boil :evil: He's been sold the DUK/NHS low/medium GI high starchy carb line with a vengeance - the line that I followed until the predicted complications arrived. (Crippling peripheral neuropathy.)

By changing to a low carb diet, with reasonable amounts of whole eggs & fat, I was able to reverse the neuropathy & my active life was restored. thanks to folk on this forum for the advice.

Its dreadful that such a dangerous line should become 'received wisdom' when all the experience of diabetics (a) proves that it does lead to increasing medication & complications, & (b) going against that 'received wisdom' reverses the progress & improves health.

He even insisted on separating eggs because of the fat in the yolk (5 g per egg) & removing all sat fats from the diet. When I showed my food diary to my sparring partner Ally, she told me I wasn't eating enough fat ....

I must apologise to women for listening to their dedicated programme.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Worrying - someone should speak to AWT about his disease. I believe at the moment he is pre-diabetic (Syndrome-X).

If he gets his act together and gets to some serious lo-carbing there is no reason for his insulin resistance EVER to turn into full blown diabetes.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
The original OP's question was:

"Anyone hear Antony Worrall Thompson?"

My answer is, not if I can possibly avoid it. :lol:

Never understood this "celebrity chef" nonsense. They are just bloody men who can cook.

PANSIES

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I heard it on "listen again" and sent the following to the programme
>>I can pretty much guarantee to Mr. Worral Thomson, that if he continues to "manage" his pre-diabetes in the way described, it will develop into the full blown disease some time soon.
It IS possible to reverse Pre-diabetes, but not without SEVERE cutback of ALL carbohydrate. Seeded bread does NOT do what he says. It does not get digested slowly at all ( As more people would know if Self Blood glucose Monitoring were used more often in Britain.) The only kind of bread that does do so is the German type Vollkorn bread. .
I have type 2 diabetes, which I CONTROL at non-diabetic levels on a very reduced carbohydrate diet and minimal medicine. My blood test results will confirm this. I am one of a growing number of diabetics, worldwide, who have discovered that the conventional advice of low fat/ high carbohydrate diet. Does NOT WORK. it merely reinforces the belief that Type 2 diabetes is a progressive condition. Eggy bread is NOT a good breakfast for a diabetic. The scrambled eggs are perfect, without the bread. The peanut butter is fine, but ditch the toast. There is no scientific evidence to support the way of eating that Mr. Worral Thomson has advocated. His cookery book will not help people.
I believe it's some time since his condition, pre-diabetes (or more correctly impaired glucose ollerance) was diagnosed. If he'd followed a low carb diet, the odds are that he would be rid of the condition by now.
I know that DUK and the medical establishment are still in favour of the Ancel Keys Heart Healthy diet. However. Why doesn't anyone ask the diabetics who have COMPLETE CONTROL over their condition without requiring multiple kinds of medications, how they do it?
Also why should someone whose carbohydrate metabolism is faulty be advised to eat carbohydrate and limit fat?
I have VERY low cholesteroland NORMAL blood glucose on a comparatively high fatand verly low carb regime. This bit of metabolic science was known by the GREAT John Yudkin in the 1970s.<<
Hana

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
So where is the link so that we can all write to him and put him wise? :idea:

brill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Country & Western!
So where is the link so that we can all write to him and put him wise?
I emailed Woman's Hour to express my disappointment (very politely), but I did notice that there is a link from the Woman's Hour home page to Antony WT's webpage, http://www.awtonline.co.uk/home.asp although it looks like you have to join to do anything.
Brill

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well said, Hana.
Someone in his position ought to be idealy placed to undersand the cause and effect of diet and diabetes, but it looks like he's missed it completely. I wonder what would happen if he actually understood the issue and demonstrated the effectiveness of eating fewer carbs and more fat instead? Frankly, I doubt he'd get away with saying such a thing without a 'don't try this at home' caution from our FSA friends at the end of the programme.

fergus

sue32

Dislikes
false people
I've just spotted this thread and have to agree with the majority here. As a T2 I have been 'advised' to eat quite a high carb diet and I totally disagree with this. I have been on Byetta since last Christmas and by eating only low GI carbs I have managed to lose 2 stone. I have not had to take any insulin either. You're right about bread. It's all high GI - except naan bread. I'm following the GL diet, which gauges the amount of GI in the amount of food you eat, and naan bread has a GL of 2!! I've proved it. I have a mini naan bread filled with protein and low carb vegs and my BM's are within the 'normal' range!!

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
I saw his cookery book for diabetics the other day in a discount book shop. I had a quick flick through and put it back on the shelf :lol:

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Has anyone had a reply from Women's Hour or AWT?

I have just written on his contact page:
AWT
I listened with interest to your programme on Women's Hour last month. I emailed the programme but got no reply.
I am concerned that the information you have been given, & are passing on, is not actually beneficial for diabetics.
I am a type 2 diabetic for 10 years & am now 71. I followed the DUK diet (starchy carbs, low fat/sugar/salt) for 8 years, & tried to keep my fasting BG below 7 as recommended.
Then crippling neuropathy affected my legs, & I thought my active life was over. I found the www.diabetes.co.uk forum & the recommendation of some members to cut down the carbohydrates, & not worry about food fats in meat, cheese, eggs & nuts.
In 3 months the pain was gone, & my active life fully restored. I had lost 14 lb & my cholesterol fell from 5.4 to 4.3.
Two years on I am still well & active. My HbA1c is 5.9 (down from 6.7.) I am playing tennis & table tennis at a good standard & am fully active.
I enjoy my food & don't get hungry. My diet is plenty of veg, with meat, cheese, eggs. I use ground almonds where flour would be needed. I snack on cheese & nuts & fresh fruit.

I hope that is helpful. I fear you, along with diabetics generally, have been given information that is not helpful.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Well done Ian. :)

I wonder if he will see it and even more do I wonder if he will get back to you because I fear that the commercial interests may well get in the way and he will ignore it to the detriment of his own health.

He will not be able to ignore it for long as he will have full blown T2 fairly quickly but the underlying problem is, having already been misled himself, all the other people he will have misled on the way as people are so gullible and impressed by 'celebrity' and the written word. :roll:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
He will not be able to ignore it for long as he will have full blown T2 fairly quickly but the underlying problem is, having already been misled himself, all the other people he will have misled on the way as people are so gullible and impressed by 'celebrity' and the written word.
without debating the rights and wrongs of his diet, he originally found he had a problem several years ago in 2003, and according to a recent article
"I've had regular checkups and with all the diet and lifestyle changes I have made, I can proudly say my glucose levels are completely back to normal
So it is working for him.
One of many links describing what he advocates and the changes he made

edited because the site owner has advised that the web address has been changed
http://www.refocusonline.com/2010/11/an ... -diabetes/

brill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Country & Western!
Actually, what he says in that article (http://www.refocus-mpt.com/news/item.htm?pid=1906) is all quite sensible stuff (apart from advocating porridge, which sends my BG at least way up).
Shame it wasn't reflected in the Woman's Hour interview!
I never heard anything back from them BTW.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Thanks for the link, Phoenix.

That is basically the diet I followed for the first 8 years of diabetes, except that I drank a lot of tea as well as water. It worked for me as well, until the peripheral neuropathy set in.

refocus

Hello Everyone,
I have just joined the forum as I run a website which keeps getting hits from a link posted on here about Antony Worral Thompson and his diabetes advice.
We moved the article mentioned in this thread a while back and I am posting the correct link below:

refocusonline.com/2010/11/antony-worrall-cooking-for-diabetes/

Hope this helps. Have a good day.
Adele

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thankyou Adele,
I was the original person to post that link so I have edited it,... interesting that it's still being used since the thread is over a year old.