Freestyle libre and ibuprofen

Griffter15

Hi all,

I remember reading somewhere that painkillers can disrupt cgm readings. Thus far I've avoided taking any whilst using the freestyle libre but I've been advised to use ibuprofen gel to help my knee recover from an injury.

Has anyone got any experience in this?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi all,

I remember reading somewhere that painkillers can disrupt cgm readings. Thus far I've avoided taking any whilst using the freestyle libre but I've been advised to use ibuprofen gel to help my knee recover from an injury.

Has anyone got any experience in this?

NSAID's have been discussed a few times before. Here's a previous thread about the effect of lbuprofen on glucose levels.....
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/ibuprofen-and-blood-sugar.101994/

If you search in the top right hand corner, you can find more.

Griffter15

Thanks, but it's not the effect on blood glucose I was querying. It's the effect on cgm readings.

My question is really, does anyone use ibuprofen gels or tablets whilst using the freestyle libre and have they noticed any inconsistency?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If I remember correctly it's Paracetamol that's the issue with CGMs.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Paracetamol gives false highs on dexcom. No idea about ibuprofen and libre though - sorry. It's probably worth checking if the abott site says anything about it.

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been taking ibuprofen for the last 2 weeks for tedonitis and it doesn't appear to make any difference to libre readings

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes it's only the Dexcom though all other CGM's are fine :)

I was on heavy doses of of Paracetamol recently when having my hips replaced, 1000mg every 4 hours for 4 wks for first hip then again for the second, so 8wks in total. Interestingly I did not see it made any difference to the operation of my Dexcom ?.