Moan!

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello!

I'll start on a positive... I am now 17 weeks and heard my baby's heartbeat for the first time today! ️ I've had a pretty stressful, work related, few weeks and I was worried about my stress levels, so hearing it was the most wonderful sound!

My bloods have been good. Little on the low side so adjustments made to carb ratio and basal in places. But on the whole considering the stresses I've had, they are very pleased. I am not bolusing for snacks at the moment, because of the volume of insulin I need to have to keep my sugar within range 1hr post meal. At times I have needed to snack to keep my sugar up, my basal is down to 0.25 for most of the afternoon at the moment so a - basal isn't going to touch the sides.

The baby consultant was mentioning about how my weight has gone up. "Ideally we like the babies weight to go up but yours to stay level."

Whaaaaaaaaaat!!! Give me one woman in the history of the earth that hasn't put on weight during her pregnancy!! I'm still in all my clothes, and am nowhere near maternity clothes yet! I just feel it's a bit of a stupid comment, but I feel under pressure now to not put on any more weight!! I've been eating fairly healthy, not as strict as I was before pregnancy, but not off the rails! Has anyone else has this? any advice? X

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I echo your whaaaaat! I was never told that. In fact, I wasn't even weighed apart from at my booking in appointment and a couple of times when my community midwife remembered. The focus was on my health, babys health and very importantly my BS control.

I put on a fair bit of weight in the first half of pregnancy which I think was due to hormones as I don't normally put weight on very easily. I put on more weight in my last pregnancy than in the pregnancy before, but my control was much better. I'd take the extra weight any time.

In total I put on around three stone, which is a huge increase for me as I'm very petite, but the weight just dropped off after giving birth and during breastfeeding. I didn't diet at all. My body sorted the weight loss itself.

Unless there's a medical reason why you should limit your weight, I'd be tempted to nod and smile and ignore him. If your control is good and you're eating healthily, then you're doing the absolute best for your baby.

Reactions: 2 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Morons!! Don't the experts leave you well and truly deflated - b*****ds. You are looking after yourself that's all that matters, and a healthy baby at the end, good luck.

Edited by a mod for language

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Arghhh i feel annoyed for you Hun!! I think like azure said just nod and smile... but think bad thoughts in your head don't let it get you down, your bloods being great is the bit I would focus on! So amazing listening to that little heartbeat for the first time xx

Reactions: 5 people

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
Tell them to do one. There's enough going on without making you feel you need to count calories at all. As long as you and baby are getting everything you need in terms of nutrition, that's what's important.

Reactions: 5 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's ridiculous. As mentioned you have enough going on. As long as your eating nutritiously you will be feeding the baby well.
I too dropped all my weight shortly after birth births, and I mean in about 2 weeks without dieting. Your body will find its homeostasis during pregnancy and after as long as you don't change to a junk food it haha. I would continue to eat as you have been and just focus on nutrition.

LOVE hearing those little heartbeats!!!

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya @Sarahkylie88 i put on absolutely loads with my twins. I was in maternity clothes by the time I was 7 weeks. I was quite sick with them and in a lot of pain. I just ate what I could and managed to keep my sugars/hba1c down. I was so huge by the time I had them (at 35w). All I wanted was for them to be ok. You will be running around once baby is here so I wouldn't worry about it just focus on them sugars. Please don't stress with work too much as makes it hard to manage them (I had a very stressful job too which was really hard. People don't understand the consequences of t1 diabetic pregnant stressed out mum!). Big hugs x

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh please take no notice of that consultant. It's total rubbish. I wasn't diabetic when I had my 2, but I put on quite a bit of weight. 2 stones with the 1st (born at 30 weeks) and 3 stones with the 2nd (fullterm) It's natural and it comes off naturally after the birth. I was in normal clothes, but 2 sizes bigger at 17 weeks.

Give me strength! I can't believe that was said to you. Grrrrrrr you were right to moan here.

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks ladies!! Do u think it's just something they have to say?!? Lol I mean I'm not even hungry most of the time when I have to snack, but my levels r what they need to be!! They can't have everything!! It's just when u r doing all u can for your sugar they have to add an extra stress!! I feel better for my moan! Haha as u girls said I'll smile and nod! feeling much better now thank u x x x

Loulou52

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have only been weighed once my entire pregnancy and I am being induced on Monday! Consultants were much more interested in my diabetes control than my weight. I haven't weighed myself either...... as if we don't have enough to worry about. Blood glucose is our primary concern. I would not worry about that comment, it was silly and unhelpful and actually could be dangerous in relation to hypo control etc. If someone was less tunes in to their diabetrs than you are. Fortunately you understand your diabetes and the need to sometimes/usually snack to maintain BG levels. You are doing what you need to do to keep your baby and you as healthy as possible! Big hugs x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks ladies!! Do u think it's just something they have to say?!? Lol I mean I'm not even hungry most of the time when I have to snack, but my levels r what they need to be!! They can't have everything!! It's just when u r doing all u can for your sugar they have to add an extra stress!! I feel better for my moan! Haha as u girls said I'll smile and nod! feeling much better now thank u x x x

I did wonder whether it was some kind of silly joke. If not, maybe they automatically parrot that advice because they're thinking about GD or similar, so forget you're Type 1. To give an example of this autopilot thinking, my local midwife asked me for a urine sample because "she wanted to check I wasn't duabetic" :rolleyes:

Sarahstar82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I often feel these health professionals need a filter! We are all doing awesome jobs growing our babies. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Bobbietb

I feel your pain in terms of being weighed: I've been weighed at every single ante natal appointment I've had but luckily nobody has commented on it! I had the doc tell me to cut down on all the fruit I was eating...I wasn't eating any more so than the recommendation of 'five a day' coupled with veg! I wonder if sometimes they pick up on minor things for those of us who are doing incredibly well. Don't listen to their nonsense!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What?! I'm sorry but no matter the health of the mother a certain amount of weight gain is both necessary and will happen in pregnancy! That's one of the few thing that 'experts' all agree on lol (although the amount of weight gain is debated). You have more than enough on your plate, so please ignore such rubbish.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Of course not, but when it comes to pregnancy men just cannot possibly have a clue

Women and childbirth have gone back quite a few years now o_O so your comment, 'was it a man', in this instance, would seem to be justifiable.

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
2 weeks later and my weight is the same!! Wahoooo! Also hba1c is now 5.8% or 40! So Happy with that!

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ridiculous!! Why do they always focus on weight!! How about focussing on your fantastic hba1c and the work you are putting into managing a pregnancy with diabetes! Pay no attention to the weight comment and be proud of yourself and how you're managing your pregnancy, it's not easy!

Reactions: 4 people