Hba1c : look out for signs

Kellyx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I previously lived in England and was diagnosed at age 6 with type 1 diabetes ! From the age of 7 to 11 every 3 months I went for my hospital check ups and hba1c's they would always roughly be 7.1 or 7.8 ! Doctors thought this was really great and I was so happy knowing I was doing a great job! Myself and my parents felt successful in managing my diabetes! When I moved to Ireland by the age of 12 and registered in my new hospital my doctor seemed suspicious that my blood sugars in my daily diary didn't match up to my very good hba1c ! They done some tests and found out the sugars in my body were not accurately sticking to my blood giving me false hba1c's every 3 months! I felt gutted and so did my parents! I now get a blood test done that is more specific and thankfully now gives me true results! I was shocked that the doctors in England did not pick up on these signs! If anyone is suspicious or finds it strange that hba1c's are coming back good but know there blood sugars haven't been that great then please speak to your diabetic nurses or doctors! Just thought I'd let people know about this experience incase anyone else has the same!

Reactions: 2 people

Kellyx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@tim2000s @gem09 yes the blood test I get is the fructosamine in the Phlebotomy section of the hospital, it takes about a month to then get the results! Thankfully my diabetes team were very thorough in Ireland and realised what was going on, I have met about 4 other diabetics who did not find out for over 20 years and unfortunately suffer with the consequences of uncontrolled diabetes.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Not meaning to be rude though, @Kellyx, if you know what your blood glucose tests show, then you surely know how controlled your diabetes is?

Kellyx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not meaning to be rude though, @Kellyx, if you know what your blood glucose tests show, then you surely know how controlled your diabetes is?
It happened between the ages of 6 and 11, So when I went to the hospital I was told by my doctor that my control was great so I believed that what I was doing was good. That's not really the point in this post though anyways, just warning people, they probably already know but I was very unaware that this was possible when I was younger and just trying to help incase anyone goes through the same thing.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It happened between the ages of 6 and 11, So when I went to the hospital I was told by my doctor that my control was great so I believed that what I was doing was good. That's not really the point in this post though anyways, just warning people, they probably already know but I was very unaware that this was possible when I was younger and just trying to help incase anyone goes through the same thing.
Ah - sorry - missed that detail.