Gastroparesis, Tips to ease symptoms?

Bobbin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
I've been to the GP and diagnosed with reflux. I have to take omeprazole for 6 weeks before returning to get referred for further investigation. I'm pretty sure this is gastroparesis I have, a week and a half into taking omeprazole and no ease at all, the GP has had me on it a couple of times before when things weren't as bad as this and it was of no help then either.
I'm burping constantly, stomach is bloated and really uncomfortable. I can't eat much most days as I feel stuffed before I even begin. I got a bit of ease from this yesterday, only because things were, lets just say, moving swiftly down below. I'm back to bloated and stuffed from a hypo and icecream late last night.

What can I do myself to ease symptoms? I feel terrible!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Bobbin Welcome to the Forum.

Firstly, most of the advice on Gastroparesis is that keeping your glucose levels as close to a normal range as possible and avoiding too great a level of fluctuation in level helps to alleviate the symptoms.

This website offers some advice as to what might work: http://www.digestivedistress.com/what-to-eat-diabetics

It seems to boil down to eat small amounts, relatively frequently, and when really struggling, liquid nutrition is a sensible approach, whether that's smoothies or supplements. Good luck.

anniehi41

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Bobbin,

I have empathy with you. That bloated feeling is horrible.

Have you tried the FODMAP diet? It has helped me somewhat. It is sometimes the things in the ingredients like onion powder or wheat that cause the bloating. I find sticking to this diet helps but you really have to look at the ingredients in processed foods. I know its recommended for IBS to help with bloating. I only have soya ice cream and lactofree milk and butter and gluten free bread now, but I was feeling so bad with all the symptoms you describe I was ready to try anything. Google FODMAP to get the details.
Hope you feel better soon.
Annie

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Bobbin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you all for the replies.
I'm gonna look into those now. Had some mash and chicken soup for dinner this evening in the hopes it's easier digested.

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had gastroparesis for about 10 years..............food just sits in my stomach for hours, so peak BG is at 2-4 hours, can take 8-16 hours to come down if high carb meal.

I've been on Lansoprazole for 2 years...........stopped my acid reflux dead, no heartburn at all, but still got loads of trapped wind.

Since low carbing for 6 months, much less bloating/trapped wind. I'm also on megadoses of probiotics, and I'm taking FOS as a prebiotic to feed all the healthy bacteria. (so effectively I'm on the opposite of the FODMAP diet). I think this has improved my transit time, so most of the gas is now down the other end (preferable for me, but not necessarily my nearest and dearest).

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don't know if I have gastroparesis but I do know when I eat low carb the heartburn and bloating I would get especially at night goes away. Hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: 2 people

Bobbin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had gastroparesis for about 10 years..............food just sits in my stomach for hours, so peak BG is at 2-4 hours, can take 8-16 hours to come down if high carb meal.

I've been on Lansoprazole for 2 years...........stopped my acid reflux dead, no heartburn at all, but still got loads of trapped wind.

Since low carbing for 6 months, much less bloating/trapped wind. I'm also on megadoses of probiotics, and I'm taking FOS as a prebiotic to feed all the healthy bacteria. (so effectively I'm on the opposite of the FODMAP diet). I think this has improved my transit time, so most of the gas is now down the other end (preferable for me, but not necessarily my nearest and dearest).

I would have thought peak BG 2 hours post meal would have been about normal, matching the peak action of quick acting insulin. I find myself going hypo occasionally round that time as I have given my insulin, but food hasn't moved beyond the stomach to get digested (I guess). The high comes later once insulin has run out and food finally moving. A bag of crisps of and evening can upset my levels up till lunch time the following day.

I'll ask about the Lansoprazole, the omeprazole is doing nothing for me.
I'm not sure what FOS is?

Bobbin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know if I have gastroparesis but I do know when I eat low carb the heartburn and bloating I would get especially at night goes away. Hope you feel better soon.

I don't low carb all the time; but when I do I can't say I notice a difference in symptoms. Though it does make BG easier to manage.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bobbin Welcome to the Forum.

Firstly, most of the advice on Gastroparesis is that keeping your glucose levels as close to a normal range as possible and avoiding too great a level of fluctuation in level helps to alleviate the symptoms.

This website offers some advice as to what might work: http://www.digestivedistress.com/what-to-eat-diabetics

It seems to boil down to eat small amounts, relatively frequently, and when really struggling, liquid nutrition is a sensible approach, whether that's smoothies or supplements. Good luck.

The author recommends in excess of 200 grms of carbs. No thanks!

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Copied from a link in #10

Generally eat smaller meals more frequently. Usually 210 to 240 grams of carbohydrates are needed each day. Setting a goal for 6 small meals a day then works out to be about 2 to 3 carbohydrate choices (-35-40 grams of carbohydrates) at each meal

Assuming that we sleep at least 8 hours a day then that is 6 "small" meals a day in the space of 16 hours of around 35-40 grams each meal. How on earth would it be possible to have a low blood sugar level that didn't spike?

Reactions: 4 people

Benabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had these issues of irregular absorption of food causing wild blood sugar swings (probable gastroparesis). I've found that taking digestive enzymes (Polyzyme Forte) and probiotics (Bio Kult multi strain) with main meals, really helps regularise everything for me

susyross

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
people who don't make the effort to be healthy
Hi Bobbin,

I have empathy with you. That bloated feeling is horrible.

Have you tried the FODMAP diet? It has helped me somewhat. It is sometimes the things in the ingredients like onion powder or wheat that cause the bloating. I find sticking to this diet helps but you really have to look at the ingredients in processed foods. I know its recommended for IBS to help with bloating. I only have soya ice cream and lactofree milk and butter and gluten free bread now, but I was feeling so bad with all the symptoms you describe I was ready to try anything. Google FODMAP to get the details.
Hope you feel better soon.
Annie

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
I have Gastro paresis, IBS and IBD - I have found that gluten free, lactose free, small meals and guess what really helped me... coleslaw.. one of the many gastro docs I have seen explained that the indigestible fibers of cabbage help absorb the excess fluid which in turn stops the diarrhea associated with our lovely condition. of course there is a good alternative which is adding powdered fiber to water which I have done many times in the past. I have been on all sorts of regimens, from no fiber to high fiber.. I think it is just like having any type of diabetes, we are all different and what works for one person does not necessarily work for the next... trial and error. I kept a food diary for a while and determined that gluten and lactose were not my friends.. worst thing ever was a whole wheat grilled cheese sandwich with a cup of hot chocolate... I was in agony.. and that was the beginning of my gluten free healthier diet. Good luck to all of you plagued by gastro paresis, as if diabetes was not enough !!

Reactions: 4 people

Benabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have Gastro paresis, IBS and IBD - I have found that gluten free, lactose free, small meals and guess what really helped me... coleslaw.. one of the many gastro docs I have seen explained that the indigestible fibers of cabbage help absorb the excess fluid which in turn stops the diarrhea associated with our lovely condition. of course there is a good alternative which is adding powdered fiber to water which I have done many times in the past. I have been on all sorts of regimens, from no fiber to high fiber.. I think it is just like having any type of diabetes, we are all different and what works for one person does not necessarily work for the next... trial and error. I kept a food diary for a while and determined that gluten and lactose were not my friends.. worst thing ever was a whole wheat grilled cheese sandwich with a cup of hot chocolate... I was in agony.. and that was the beginning of my gluten free healthier diet. Good luck to all of you plagued by gastro paresis, as if diabetes was not enough !!

Benabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Regarding cole slaw .. makes sense. Even better might be raw fermented cabbage ..has helped me lots. I've use Laurie's Raw Organic Sauerkraut ..it's a kind of natural probiotic

Spiderdenny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Half a teaspoon of bi carbonate of soda in cold or warm water.no more heartburn.no trapped wind.stomache settles down.its been mine,my mums,my grandma's medicine for years and ive had my gall bladder removed,ive got underactive thyroid and im type 1 insulin dependent.doesn't seem to do me any harm.just the opposite to be truthful.just try it next time you're full of wind.what have you got to lose.hope it helps.

Bobbin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love coleslaw and salads, eat them all the time. :)

Bobbin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Half a teaspoon of bi carbonate of soda in cold or warm water.no more heartburn.no trapped wind.stomache settles down.its been mine,my mums,my grandma's medicine for years and ive had my gall bladder removed,ive got underactive thyroid and im type 1 insulin dependent.doesn't seem to do me any harm.just the opposite to be truthful.just try it next time you're full of wind.what have you got to lose.hope it helps.
Will try that for sure. Thanks for the tip.

susyross

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
people who don't make the effort to be healthy
good old fashioned remedies are sometimes the best !